[Release] Alpha version of August Home (wifi door lock)

Interesting... I saw this when I didn’t hit “done” on installing app. But the app is mostly there.

:+1:

I know there’s a pub/sub api I just need to figure out how to reverse engineer it...

The app has remained since I reinstalled it yesterday so maybe I hadn't pressed done last time, I was probably too excited to see the lock work from Hubitat that I went directly to devices. :blush:

I don't fully understand pub/sub but I've seen them talking about it at [Beta] Google SDM API - Nest integration is it sort of like named pipes on Windows?

Pub/Sub is a message queuing model it provides for a subscriber to register for events to a central service, and then a publisher pushes events to that service. They can then be batched or pushed based on conifguration.

The nest and the honeywell (which is the other driver i've been spending considerable time on) have a documented event model (pub/sub). Since Honeywell is a Microsoft/Azure customer they use Azure event grid (a sister team of mine in my day job), Nest uses Google... I suspect August is using AWS but all I have an event GUID to go off of.

1 Like

Taylor great effort. Does this mean this will only work from a cloud resource location?

Yes, unfortunately all of this is cloud based as that's how August architected the Wifi lock and there is much more security than say the Kasa lights... For local execution the z-wave (or another brand) would be the best option.

Thanks for the effort! I'm sticking with SM (ST) with hubconnect for the August lock. This has been pretty reliable as long as St is reliable.

I completed the first phase of enabling keypad and battery support. If anyone with keypads and or devices that have battery levels (the Gen4 wifi does not) wouldn't mind giving it a spin that would definitely help.

Current state:

• I think battery reporting should work (I was able to synthetically do some testing).
  • Keypad should emit a debug log, I really would like to see that working before I go too much further. (directions below).

Code:

Testing steps:

1. You need to remove the old device (in the debug settings there is a remove child devices setting).
  2. Remove the old driver (don't remove or uninstall the app unless you want to do 2FA again).
  3. Add both of the new drivers from the location above (if you know you have door sense you can just add that one)
  4. Update the app code from the location above as well.
  5. From the August App rediscover the devices.

Validation:

• For battery level it should just show up on the base device.
  • For keypad, check the logs for "createChildKeypad(id:xyz, lockId:xyz) this is the log I am hoping for

Once I know I'm properly discovering the keypad I'll add it as a child device to the lock. Door bell should follow the same pattern

Delete all devices?

Yes, delete all devices.

Thank you!

Any logs under the device? that is where the createChildKeypad log would show up.

As for the cron error - if you change the refresh time that should fix that... I'll put in a change on update to mitigate that.

Sorry heading to bed, have an early day tomorrow.

The Cron error appears to have been fixed by changing the refresh like you said.

v:23082020-12-08 11:15:22.352 pm infoHome - Back Door createChildKeypad(id:xxxxxxxxxxxx; lockId:xxxxxxxxxxx)

Excellent thank you! that's what I hoped to see!

1 Like

Ok... next set of changes.... Now with a keypad driver. Basically the same set of steps but also add the keypad driver.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thecloudtaylor/hubitat-augustlock/driversplit/drivers/august_keypad.groovy

Did any of the other drivers or app update? Just wondering what all I need to update this time around. I updated the lock with lock sense driver and app and added the keypad driver deleted all devices again and then discovered again. Thanks.