[Release] Alpha version of August Home (wifi door lock)

Sorry, I should added.. yes only when I do a refresh manually. Is there anything you need from me?

Ok yeah, that’s the lack of events... the august api isn’t officially documented so I’m not really sure how there event api works. I’ll keep poking around and hopefully either they open up the api or I can figure it out. Personally what I did was put a rule on a separate door sensor and a motion sensor that triggers a refresh.

I saw you updated the app to include configurable refresh times and switched to using run once instead of run in. I updated the app code but when I went to the app to configure the refresh time the app was no longer installed, I didn't bother to verify it was still there just before updating the code unfortunately.

I reinstalled the app and put in my credentials again (had to click submit twice before I got the 2FA email from August but then entered that and the validate went away but it wouldn't discover my lock however there were no errors so I figured it saw the existing device and decided it didn't need to create it again. However the existing device wouldn't do anything anymore so I ended up unassigning it from everything where it was in use then deleted it and then back in the app it discovered it fine and the device it created is working great now and refreshing each time I've tested.

One thing I saw seemed like a good point that the run in or run once could fail to continue to occur if one occurrence failed for some reason and they suggest using the schedule option with CRON parameters instead here is that post if you are interested : Run in every 2 seconds

Thanks for your work on this!

Will the August Gen 4 lock be compatible with this code?

I’ve got a few things I want to harden in the 2fa code, but suspect it’s always going to be a little less than perfect due to the nature on the api/device... when you uninstalled the app it should have removed all the devices. Which makes me think I should make a “re-auth” option in all my apps so you don’t have to recreate the world.

I fought with the cron jobs and the wrapper (runeveyXminutes) on one of my other app and never got them to be reliable... But your right this is a problem. I’ll have to take another look.

I started refactoring everything to support keypads and doorbells. Might get that done this weekend - I’ll point to a branch to test as it’s ready.

1 Like

Exact same symptoms and error. Tried it with both email and phone. Also got this error right before it on some attempts. Edited to remove stuff.

Hi @taylor

Thank you for working on this HB August WIFI integration! I was getting a bit frustrated with my locks and am looking forward to this new way to integrate with them. I installed the alpha code today and cant get past the 2FA. I hit verify and all seems to look good in the logs but when I hit discover I continue to get the following:

I keep running through the 2FA process and all seems good until I try to discover.

***------Quick UPDATE: I could not get 2FA to work with the phone number but when I switched to email it worked fine and I was able to discover my locks.

Thank you!

Yes Gen4 WiFi is what I'm using here.

I'm not positive but it looks like it may have connected to your August account, I'd suggest redacting the august access token in the log you provided just in case that is tied to your account.
What is the issue your having? When you choose email and enter your august account credentials (Same as you'd use at august-account-ui) Click the sign in with email instead option. It should prompt august to email you a 2FA code it might take hitting submit more than once and it might take a minute or so for them to send it. Then once you have that code enter it in the 2FA field and hit validate. Again you might have to hit it more than once but the validate button should disappear once it's been accepted and it should then be able to discover your lock.

1 Like

I get to the point where it looks for devices and finds none. Login works, code seems to work. I just received a brand new Hubv7 to try it on.

After several attempts, it finally took hold on the new hub. No idea if the new hub had any reason for it finally working. If it helps, old hub was v5. It also had a HubConnect to a SmartThings hub connector where the locks were previously connected. Thanks for everyones assistance.

Yep... that’s why I wrote it. I got a gen4 which works great but don’t have zwave and thus no Hubitat. Luckily someone reverse engineered the cloud api and 1*1=100 we have at least some basic integration.

1 Like

Any chance you had debug on? I would really love a circular debug log so on errors you could dump the last x min of logs

I think I had it on, but didn't look at it after it started working. Most of the issues on the new hub were stupid things like phone number as 1+(...)... instead of +1(...)... Yes I am a dummy.

@Taylor, I noticed that this app isn't shown on the Apps screen. I installed via HPM. From HPM I can not Modify, but I can Repair it. View Apps and Drivers lists it.

@Taylor, You might want to check out the SmartThings app. It reported the battery level on the lock.

EDIT: And I just realized it is a built it app, so don't know if the source is available. If that makes any sense.

I noticed that on mine this morning I thought it was because I had just updated the code. I've never seen an app disappear from there before. I couldn't find it originally in HPM so I installed via the import URL method, that's also how I updated it this morning.

I believe the SmartThings integration with August is a cloud to cloud connection where August pushes events to SmartThings. I don't think there is a way to access much of the details.

Yeah, I might just have to keep a SM hub around for this.

For the non-WiFi locks the battery level is in the api - I’ll add that soonish. I wanted to refactor for the keypad and stuff first