[RELEASE] Aeotec Range Extender 7 Driver

No the 7 doesn't have RGB control

Not sure.. would have to go look it up..

Just switched over to this driver from the generic. I assume on/off is light on and off (not the range extender itself) what does configure do?

1 Like

yes.. It turns on/off the light..

Configure runs through the driver’s setup.. And polls the device for information like firmware versions, associations, serial numbers/ etc

It’s a good practice to hit configure when you change device drivers

1 Like

Hi @bcopeland,

Thanks for building this driver as my wife really does not want the light on in our bedroom. :slight_smile:

I downloaded your driver, installed it and switch both of my Extender 7s to use it. I have tried pushing configure several times on both of them but I cannot get the lights to turn off. I tried unplugging and plugging it back in but no luck.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any other tips to try and get it working?

Brad

Double tap the action button on the Range Extender 7. This toggles the LED light on and off.

There is a bug in the RE7 regarding the light that Denny Page (@dennypage) found and got Aeotec to fix. Here is the release thread for his driver, which exposes some additional features of the RE7 (power tests, range tests).

For some unknown reason, after fixing the bug and providing a fixed version (1.02) of the firmware back in September 2020, Aeotec has not published the firmware update on its support site, but a copy of the firmware update, and a README discussing the issues, is available in Denny Page’s GitHub repo:

1 Like

The most recent one I bought came with v1.03 firmware, it sure would be nice if Aeotec released the latest firmware for these on their website so we could update them.

2 Likes

Sorry but this is all new to me so stumbling through it.

How do you find out what version of firmware you have?

To update the firmware, I am going to use the Z-wave updater driver. If I put the firmware 1.02 on my local drive, can I just type in the C:\path for the url?

Not sure which driver you are using... but you can probably find it by going to the device page and looking in Device Details -> Data. Looks something like this:

• deviceId: 189
  • deviceType: 260
  • manufacturer: 881
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x55,0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x87,0x73,0x9F,0x6C,0x7A
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 0F 01 5E 85 5C 8E 59 55 86 72 5A 87 73 9F 6C 7A 68 23
  • firmwareVersion: 1.2
  • protocolVersion: 7.11
  • hardwareVersion: 189

(@bradfreels) I was just looking at/playing with this today, firmwareVersion and below didn't show up until I did a range test for me using your driver. My recently purchased ones are 1.1. Bccopeland's driver config did not do anything for me. I guess it is time to try my first zwave firmware update on my C7 and play around some more (recent ST migrant, still feeling way around). It would be nice to be able to use the indicator light as a HSM status indicator using the switch atribute/capability as bccopeland's used to do in my current setup.

1 Like

Seems that Aeotec released 1.03 today. Perhaps they read these forums.

1 Like

I opened a ticket.

Of note is that the Indicator CC issues mentioned in the release notes were actually resolved in 1.02.

2 Likes

I updated my Aeotec Range Extender 7 to the 1.03 firmware yesterday using the built in firmware updater. It took 23 1/2 hours to finish the update! I'm wondering if the reason it took so long is that I have the repeater paired as S2 Authenticated.

FWIW, I just upgraded a pair of them from 1.02 to 1.03, one insecurely paired and one paired with S2. Both within direct range of the hub. Both took ~26 minutes.

I tried a third one that was insecurely paired, but outside direct range of the hub (one hop away). After 30 minutes, it was about 10% compete.

It's a lot of data to do the firmware update, and I think it's very sensitive to communication reliability, so I would bring the repeater close to the hub to perform the update if possible.

My 2 RE7 devices were updated this weekend and took about 20 minutes each. Of course, I did it about 3 feet from the hub. Both were paired S2 authenticated, C-7. 2.2.4.158.

@dennypage and @672southmain. Wow, quite a difference in update time. I had my repeater about 4 feet away from the hub, so it should have been in direct range. I'm not sure why I had such an abysmal transfer time. My Inovelli dimmers updated in about 30 minutes when I did them, so that is kind of what I expected for the Aeotec.

Had the route been repaired to be direct when you did the update?

That's a good point and I didn't look at the routing right before I moved it. It was always routing directly to the hub whenever I looked at it in the past. I just moved it from about 20 ft. to about 4 ft. from the hub.

When I attempt to update mine to 1.03, it says "Please wake up your sleepy device". It is plugged in and working. Any ideas what I should do?

Sounds like the hub thinks it's a battery device. You might try refresh/configure/repair, but I'm guessing you're going to have to exclude and re-include the device. Note that after you exclude, you should do a full factory reset before re-including it.

1 Like