[RELEASE] Advanced Zooz Zen27 / Zen26 Central Scene Dimmer and Switch Drivers

It’s fun.. Believe it or not.. I recently proclaimed my boredom on the forum.. And now I have a backlog of devices.. It happened so quick.. Between vendors sending me stuff and Amazon impulse buys..

But seriously.. I love it.. And the community always has a positive response to releases so it fuels me..

1 Like

I just need to complete physical vs digital events and try and work on the wording a bit in the preferences.. I find it a bit confusing..

Then these can come out of beta.. Because they are fully functional..

I have V03b installed associated with an Inovelli LZW42 color bulb. All the functions seem to work except the "Start Level Change" its instantaneous ON/OFF. I'm testing most from the Device page controls.

I'll be able to do more testing from the device paddle tomorrow, will report.

Thanks for this.

Question: What Zooz document are you getting the Association from? I would like to read it to help me understand whatever I can learn.

2 Likes

Ok.. Let me be sure I’m understanding what you are trying to do here.. You have a inovelli bulb connected via association? Is this also on the load of the dimmer? And if it is on the load of the dimmer, what is the preferences set to for smart bulb..

And you are using change level to control this?

Also.. Which association group is the bulb in?

I don’t mean for this to sound like i’m grilling you.. I’m trying to see what I need to re-produce

No problem with the questions.

I have a ZEN27 controlling my Front Entrance lights. For testing your new driver I used an Inovelli LZW42 Color bulb. The LZW42 is plugged into a wall socket (using an old desk lamp).

So using your driver I setup the ZEN27 dimmer to the hex ID for the LZW42 bulb. This is what I reported.

My final goal is to associate two ZEN27's (one still on order) so I can add dimming at what is now a 4-Way dumb switch.

What is interesting is when I pair an Inovelli Red Dimmer to the LZW42 I need to setup Group 2 and Group 4.
However with the ZEN27 its Group 2 and group 3.

It seems like:

The Groups are all the same (except Group 1) and a group can only send one command (i.e. ON/OFF or Dim Up / Dim Dwn) Or at least limited commands.

The Groups are only interesting in the sending device. Because I also setup an Inovelli Red dimmer to associate with the same LZW42 bulb. Either device works (although the Red Dimmer is more compatible at this time.

My conclusion is that groups (again except for Group 1) are all interchangeable and exist only in the sender. My guess is that out of some convention, the lower number groups are assigned to more common or important commands (like ON/OFF).
I would also expect that if one could listen in on the Z-Wave transmissions there would be no information transmitted that identifies what group the command was assigned to in the sending device.

Sorry about the long winded Group thoughts but I'm still wrapping my head around groups and their significance and writing it for someone other than myself helps me clarify my jumbled thoughts.

John

1 Like

Ok.. I'll do some testing with this and come back with my findings tonight.. Thanks for the detailed response ... This helps

I am able to reproduce.. A little bit unexpected .. I am zniffering it now

Update 2020-04-30
Both devices:

• Physical Vs Digital Events

Hi there @bcopeland

I have a Zooz ZEN27 setup in Z-Wave Only mode (i.e. I rely on Z-Wave events form the switch to drive actions, and have disabled the physical switch configuration).

I have actions on the switch trigger a "Button Controller" routine that turns on/off lights in the room by scene.

It's really bizarre though... when I switch between your driver and the built-in driver it seems like Button 1 switches position. I have to push the bottom paddle to turn on the lights in your driver and when I change back to the Hubitat-supplied driver I push the top paddle to turn on lights.

Did I miss something in swapping out the driver?

1 Like

My buttons are based on the button numbers from zooz documentation.. So it is likely the button numbering is different

added descriptive text logging and events to both drivers

Fix pushed for changeLevel (dimmer only)
2020-05-02: 0.06B

Fixes the instant on/off reaction

Anyone who is using this driver.. Are you having any problems or questions?.. I would like to wrap this up and pull it out of beta today..

Anyone?

I was not previously having problems, but will download latest update and will report on outcome.

1 Like

It will take about 24 hours to run through all my routines, but the update went without incident and basic functionality is operational.

1 Like

I just received my 2nd Zen27, will be testing tonight.

John

1 Like

Bumped to 1.0 and [RELEASE]

Please let me know if you see any issues...

I just finished testing with the two ZEN27's. Tested with 0.06b

ON/OFF and Dim work.
The Dim is funny.

From max dim to Full on; Hold the associated dimmer top paddle in, 2 steps. Dim, Mid, Full
From max to dim; Hold the associated dimmer bottom paddle in, 2 steps. Full, 3/4, 1/2, dim

Maybe this is a Z-Wave limitation, don't know how many commands go out as I hold the paddle down (or up).

My Dim is limited to 30% minimum

Also you might change the description of the associated. My first try was 0x3C = Java error.

All in all, I thank you very much for this driver. It will do what I need and not be a problem.

John

Yea.. At that point it is going device to device and has nothing to do with the driver.. I pulled out the zniffer on it and noticed they were using basic set in incrementing steps.. first time I have seen that.. The others I have done use switchMultilevel startLevelChange and stopLevelChange and are quite a bit smoother.. But this has it's problems too.. The way zooz handled it may not be the smoothest, but it is the most compatible, as everything accepts basic set.

Yea.. I can change this up.. Maybe an example would help, what do you think?

You're welcome..