[RELEASE] Advanced vThermostat - Virtual Thermostat HVAC control

Is it just me or does the Advanced vThermostat no longer work with the Hubitat Thermostat Scheduler? They did update the scheduler recently.

When the schedule is supposed to switch temps, nothing happens. I'll try to grab logs if it's only happening to me.

I haven't tested it with scheduler since the last update to 2.x, I will have to make a few tests to confirm or not if it's working or not. But you could try updating the driver code to the latest on Github (or do a repair in HPM), I added a few lines of code that made it incompatible with the latest RM version (see post 179).

1 Like

It looks like the problem is coming from Hubitat's Thermostat Scheduler app. When you use hub variables to set the temps it doesn't work. Manually entering the temps in the scheduler fixed the issue.

Can I run an issue past you? I've been using the Advanced vThermostat for a few days. It's getting its temp from a temp/humidity sensor and using that data to control 2 plugs that are each running a flat panel wall heater.

Then this morning it was in emergency shutoff mode. Looking at the events logging, it received its last temp update at 1:49am. But when I look at the sensor's events logging, it was reporting every 30 minutes, as I had it set for.

So for some reason, Advanced vThermostat quit picking up the updates from the sensor. I've tried hitting the refresh button in the thermostat, with no results. I've tried changing the updating setting for the sensor (0.25deg F and 30 min,) but same result.

FYI I am doing this remotely.

Any ideas?

Can you post snapshots of the sensor events and also a snapshot of the vThermostat driver page

Thanks for the quick reply! I decided just to uninstall and reinstall it. It's back working again for the time being. I'll let you know if it happens again. Somehow it seems to have gotten unlinked from the temp sensor. I'm not sure how that could have happened.

1 Like

I have a similar issue each time I update habitat I need to go in to the advanced thermostat app. Open my thermostat, then close it then it works fine.

Is there anyway to make this thermostat show in HomeKit?

That is kind of weird, I 'll see if I can reproduce this on next update

It's an Apple restriction, only built in drivers are supported for now.

Ok, so it's acting up again this morning. I've tried hitting the "refresh" button several times in the advanced vthermostat but it won't update. See screenshots for sensor events, driver page (not sure exactly what you wanted to see here) and temperature updates in the vthermostat events.

Again, the problem is, advanced vthermostat hasn't pulled in a temperature update for several hours, and is in emergency stop mode, and I can't get it to update and resume normal operation, even though the temp sensor is logging temperature udpates.

By the way, I am using advanced vthermostat to control a couple of smart plugs with wall panel heaters plugged into them. I login remotely to manage this stuff because I am several hundred miles from where the house is located.

FYI the unknown apps showing in "triggered apps" were some paused rules that I had been using prior to advanced vthermostat. I just deleted them but they are still showing up in the events.

Can you please send a screen shot of the vThermostat driver screen, specifically the current states on the right.

Then go to the events on that device page (button at the top just over the title "commands". Go through the list of events until you find a ThermostatMode in Emergency Stop, I want to see the few lines before and after when if goes in and out of Emergency Stop.

Ok see below. Hopefully this helps. You can see I was fiddling with it.......I don't believe it entered emergency stop this morning until I started messing with it, because I could see it hadn't updated the temperature in several hours.

Here's another one where it entered emergency stop and then resumed normal operation, I believe. Sorry again you can see I was fiddling with the thermostat

, so it makes a mess of the logs.

Can you find me another events page where you see a temp update from a sensor before and after an emergency mode event. The fiddling around creates garbage that I can find what I'm looking for.

i'm sorry, I don't think there is one. Maybe I should uninstall/reinstall again and then just "set it and forget it" until it acts up again?

I guess that would be the best option so that we can get to the bottom of this.

BTW, is the centralite device drivers native or community drivers?

Ok, done. Working at the moment, set to 54F. As mentioned, this is a remote location......it's also cold there so I have to ensure it stays warm enough not to freeze pipes. But I'll do my best not to touch the settings for a few days.

The Centralite sensor is running on a native driver, but I just followed the default/recommended setting for the driver when installing. The hub has the "Type" field designated as "SmartThings Humidity Sensor". See attached.

Ok, it repeated the issue overnight/early this morning. Thermostat has been in emergency stop mode since 1:47am, but the temp sensor shows regular temp updates every 0.25C change. See below for vThermostat driver page, vThermostat events, and temp sensor events. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you.

First image you can clearly see that the Centralite sensor is only triggering events to MakerAPI and never to vThermostat, that is very weird and might have something to do with the driver.

On the second image, we can also see that when vThermostat gets a temperature, for some reason the "Produced by" field indicates an Unknown App (this should be the sensor device).

Something is really messed up in this setup but I can't figure out what it is. For some reason the events are not getting through to vThermostat for some reason, if you go back in the events log of the sensor to the times vThermostat did get triggered with a temperature update, you should see vThermostat in the Triggered Apps field. This might give a better indication of what is going on?

But from what I can see here, the events are just not being triggered and the app has nothing to do with that, is subscribed to events when installed and then just waits to be triggered by the hub (which is not happening).

I would start out by unsubscribing from MakerAPI the thermostat and the temp sensor used and see if that resolves it since it's the only thing we can actually see but don't really know why this would change anything. Also if you are not subscribing vThermostat direcly to the Centralite driver but through some other app, try that and see.

Sorry I can't really help more than that. But logs clearly show that vThermostat is not being triggered when a new temp is received from the sensor. If that is happening, something else is going on preventing it to happen or not relaying the info.

Are you using some other hub here that requires the use of MakerAPI?

Thanks for your help. I believe I followed your directions carefully when installing, from post #1 of this thread. It walked me through selecting the temp sensors and which plugs to control.

I noticed the "unknown app" in the "produced by" field and thought it seemed strange.

Maker API I installed in conjunction with an app called Hubitat Dashboard, which allows me to use a Kindle tablet to display a dashboard interface.

I will look carefully at your comments and see if I can make some progress resolving this.

Thanks again