[NOT MAINTAINED] Advanced Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

That's a good price. I have 11 of them installed and it seems to be a very dependable stat. Easy to pair and setup and the wife likes it. A couple of capabilities that were important to me is the ability to run on 24vac with a 5 wire setup, which makes it a z-wave repeater, instead of a passive z-wave node on battery and no battery replacement. The other feature is the ability to use an external flush-mount concealed sensor so I don't have to have the stats visible where I don't want them. I installed those 22 years ago and didn't want to give that up with a new stat and the T6 worked perfectly with them.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to integrating it into my new HE setup, as I migrate from ST.

I really hate to post this because so many have had such good luck with this driver but..... Not me.

I am trying out this driver simply because I had problems with the stock HE driver for the T6 Z-Wave. Everything was working fine with the T6 in ST. when I ported to HE almost everything worked. I could not set the thermostat mode to "auto". Logging told me that "auto" was not supported.

So I am trying this driver. It seem to report information in the Current States area fine but that is about it. When this driver is loaded, I am not able to change any parameter from the driver setup commands section or the dashboard tiles. Also, the parameters section does not show the correct settings that the thermostat is set to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Did you click on "Configure" after changing drivers?

Yup. I'm not really sure what configure does but I clicked it to see if it might help?

I used this instead of the built-in version because it didn't correctly support the "auto" thermostat mode also. I don't have any problems with the preferences section of the device. However, there was a problem setting the thermostat fan mode from the dashboard tile, since apparently the thermostat tile uses incorrect text for a couple of the fan modes, with an extra space before the command.

I ended up modifying the driver at line 49 to:

@Field static Map SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE=["auto":0x00,"on":0x01,"circulate":0x06, " auto":0x00, " on":0x01, " circulate":0x06]

@bcopeland - were you aware of this? Should this be updated in the your T6 driver, or ?

The dashboard tile/template should be fixed (I think)...

3 Likes

So until that happens, we'll need to use this work-around, it seems.

HE team has to fix the tile, I presume? My T6 arrives tomorrow, so I'll be starting to set it up and want to make sure I have things in place...

I've asked for that in a few places, including a support request. Not sure why it's broken in that way, but at least the modification I made to the map works fine. I'm pretty sure I submitted that modification to GitHub also...

Yeah, that would be up to Bryan to decide if he wants to incorporate a hack in his driver. I wouldn't, but I'm not him. :slight_smile:

I'm don't know groovy at all, but I've got to imagine there is a way to strip white space off so you don't have to add hack entries into the 'dictionary'.

But I'm not sure if it's a hack, when the Thermostat Tile sends " circulate" when it's asking for the fan to be set to the circulate mode. That's just the request made by the system. I'm guessing it's not a hack, but a choice, given the number of updates that have come out since I asked for it to be fixed... :man_shrugging: :laughing:

The tile shouldn't be asking for " circulate". That is the problem.

Any change to work around that in the driver is a hack, in my estimation. But maybe I'm not fully understanding the issue.

I don't use Hubitat dashboards any more, so I could have it wrong.

1 Like

FYI. My version of the 1.2 driver that I downloaded today does not have the extra spaces in line 49.

Yeah, I agree. Would be nice to see it fixed correctly. Until then, I'm using the hacked driver. I just want it to work.

Also, I left the correct text there, so Hubitat fixing the thermostat tile wouldn't cause any problems (other than useless map keys going unused). In fact, I don't think I checked after the last update, so maybe it did get fixed. If not, it's only a few characters to add, so that's what I'd do (did) if I wanted to use the Hubitat Dashboard tile.

3 Likes

If you're going to hack, the best hacks are the ones that are aware they are hacks, and so have a reasonable fall-back for when the issue is fixed. :slight_smile: Nice.

1 Like

New T6 has arrived! Worst packaging I've ever seen, but I think it's OK.

Wanted to ask if there is a way to fire it up and confirm it works (at least turns on, touchcreen looks OK and is responsive, w/out removing our existing thermostat (Nest). It's been super hot here the last day or so, and if we need AC for my wife in her office (working from home) I will not get any awards if I say "Sorry - I'm playing w/the thermostat for no reason." :wink: <eek!>

I am not good w/electricity (though I do I know it is created by elves in Omaha, of course) so it would have to be a pretty simple option so I don't kill myself. That also would displease my wife (I hope).

Thanks! Very excited to get started w/it!

This runs on low voltage DC current, so you could probably put the wires in your mouth and not get hurt. Don't worry about voltage when swapping these wires.

Just make sure you know where they go so everything works correctly!

Would probably take 10-30 minutes to swap the thermostats. Shouldn't make much difference in temps for the thermostat to be off that long.

1 Like

AC (standard residential HVAC transformer voltage is 24 volts AC). Also care should be taken not to short R & C conductors - or the HVAC transformer can burn out. I've seen one explode ....

So I think it is advisable to cut off the air-handler/furnace breaker while wiring a thermostat.

1 Like