Regular database corruptions on C-4 hub

That's a good question. And the answer is in your Logs (past Logs). If nothing obvious in the Logs explains why the hub is struggling (having lots or errors and/or warnings and/or unusual activity) then you may be dealing with a hardware malfunction. Also, what hub model do you have?

Wasn't expecting a speedy answer, so thanks.

At the moment, the hub is soft resetting, so cant provide answers. I'll get back to you if the hub comes back to life.

You can at least share which model :wink:

The only thing I can offer, as the unit label is defaced, is the MAC address. Any help?

Can you get to yourhubip:8081 ?

Go to my.hubitat.com then Registered Hubs, then Hub Details. Your hub model is listed under "Hardware version".

Its a C-4, operating 2.3.5.130.

Took the info from my account details which may not be up to date.

Unlike newer models, the C-4 hubs do require more frequent reboots, especially if you are performing lots or tasks. Scheduling a reboot may help.

Back online. Error code 257 on 21 May but device continued for 10minutes, then died.

Lots of errors and warnings on 8 May which may be associated with power cuts, I live in the mountains!

Power cuts can lead to corrupted database. If you have frequent power outages, I would consider putting the hub on a UPS.

I have been in charge of many complex systems, and any software I have had written, always has a daily reset built in. You've answered my question I think, but is there a feature within the C-4 that allows a scheduled reset? Easily done from the power supply but I'm sure the unit doesn't like regular power supply resets.

Hmm. Bit of an overkill but I'll ponder.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes you can schedule a restart any time...

Again, dirty shutdowns cause database corruptions.

Sorted the initial problem with a soft reset, but now need to consider the regular problem caused by power outages in the mountains! Thanks

1 Like

That cleans up the corruption. When you do a backup (either the automatic or manually download) the database is cleaned up. :slight_smile: Also given the age of your unit, remember that SD inside has a limited amount of writes, so one day in the future it may stop all together. Just something to think about.

Sadly, I suspect I would not replace it. Due to poor performance of z wave, in my personal experience, and Hubitat was the only thing I could find to control IP controlled, multiple relay boxes from KMTronic. Maybe time to look for an alternative controller for the multiple KMTronic units I have. IFTTT going commercial also put back my designs plans.

Personally I've never had any real problems with z-wave. (It's possible you have some ghosts and don't realize it. On the c4/c5 the only way to really tell is with a z-wave stick paired as a secondary controller). The c8 external antennas really helped a lot of people. In my own case I have have between 60 and 70 z-wave devices and all but 2 are now directly connected to the hub.... (the remaining 2 are a single hop). You can always try it for 30 days and see how you like it... Amazon has a very liberal return policy.

Ugh why involve the cloud?

1 Like

Impressive system and assume the meshing of that amount of devices will help performance.

In answer to your cloud question, my software skills are limited and as I'm now retired, my software writers are no longer in the same country.

I have around 40 wifi devices which I very rarely have a problem with, so I'll stay with the hub until it dies! Then there'll be another day.

1 Like

Confirming.
I had C-4, and if not reset periodically, then it was going (in my case) hung up, thankfully without memory/configs corruption. In your case, looks like that power failure(s) caused corruption(s).

3 Likes

I use the Hub Rebooter to reboot my C4 weekly whether it needs it or not. Many folks here also use the Hub Info driver with an RM rule monitoring "Free Memory", that reboots when the level goes below a specified threshold. Both apps may be installed using the Hubitat Package Manager (HPM)

Also my C4 is on a UPS with controlled shutdown when the UPS' power gets low.

1 Like