Red Alert

A quick and dirty hack using two scenes and Rule Machine "triggered" via Alexa (using wake word "computer" and the stock Alexa response). I wish I could have had a .75s delay between the on and off scene. Listen with sound to appreciate the effect.

WAF factor on this was low.

17 Likes

Nice! The WAF would be low in my house too.. But what a great party trick!

4 Likes

I have a similar thing on my goodnight routine that locks the house up, it does red alert then the shields up sound lmao. No clue why Amazon has these sounds built into Alexa.

7 Likes

i can see my wives eyes rolling now...

4 Likes

I like it and show it to my wife and she said something about smacking me?

3 Likes

Just showed my wife.

She asked “what would he use that for” but she is still chuckling.

2 Likes

zoolander

4 Likes

What lighting did you use for this?

The LED strips are Sylvania Lightify RGBW Zigbee. Two of the starter kit with the controller - the undercabinet and overcabinet strips are separately controlled. I paid only $32 for them 6 months ago, but they've almost doubled.

You can find some background on my kitchen remodel in Recommendations for kitchen remodeling (2020) - Lounge - Hubitat. I tried to use the Zooz ZEN31, but just couldn't get it to work correctly.

My ceiling lights (which I eventually removed from this scene) are controlled by Inovelli Red DImmers.

If I was buying LED strips now, I would probably go with the Inovelli strips. They weren't yet on the market when we were doing the kitchen remodel.

Thanks. I’ll look into those. I’m looking for something I can hardwire.