Zigbee or z-wave undercabinate for hubitat?

any recommendations? perfer something more play and play

If you don't want color, there is this from Lightify ...

2 Likes

thank you been searching for days and never found those :frowning:

1 Like

For my project (Recommendations for kitchen remodeling (2020)), I went with the Sylvania LIGHTIFY RGBW Zigbee strips. They ended up just working (plug and play).

They work really well, as shown here: Red Alert

controller, 3 strips (24" each):

extension, 2 strips (24" each):

2 Likes

If you look in my recommendations thread, you'll see I tried to use the Zooz ZEN31 Z-wave LED strip controller and couldn't get it to reliably work. I ended up returning it.

Right after my project was done Inovelli came out with their Z-wave RGBWW strip. I bought one and it also just worked. If I was doing this now, I might have gone with that, as all my switches are Inovelli Red Dimmers. I do like that their strip is RBGWW, not just RGBW.

1 Like

Zigbee. Z-wave is not reliable and takes too much work.

1 Like

I have yet to have any real z-wave issues myself, but I created a strong mesh. (My zigbee mesh is strong as well) I can't remember the last time I had a sensor or what not fail from anything but battery. Though as for the light switch, I'm starting to lean everything into Lifx when I have a bulb or strip need. (Most lighting is done by Lutron Switches and bulbs basically for table lamps)

1 Like

Wait until a z-wave device fails. The route memory will always try to go through the device and cause delays on the network. If there are no hops it tends to be more reliable. My issue is why worry about this stuff just use Zigbee.

I've had failed devices (gone tits up) My mesh usually finds a route... But my house is loaded with repeaters (for both z-wave and zigbee) I'm eventually going to add an antenna so everything home runs instead of mesh's

3 Likes

I suspect the new Hub solved all your issues!!

@rlithgow1 ....can you control the LIFX lightstrip from Hubitat using the LIFX integration? I have some LIFX bulbs now that I use the integration for. Is the Lightstrip control the same as the LIFX bulbs?

Yes... I have a few of them. ALL Lifx products work with hubitat.

2 Likes

I used the Ikea 30w and 10w zigbee lamp drivers on my old kitchen cabinets. Mounted the drivers on the top of the cabinets and then put the lamps on the underside using command strips. I also added some lamps to the underside of the microwave mounted above the stove to add more light then the small lamps the microwave provided.

1 Like