Recurring "NOT_RESPONDING" or "FAILED" on C-7

As @kahn-hubitat said, you can go after ghost devices directly but requires purchase of a Z-Wave stick (a USB stick w/Z-Wave HW built in) and a free SW download that runs on PCs (not Mac). Info on the link below for HW, SW download, and the steps.

Ghost Removal

You can also wait as noted for 2.2.4 and hoped-for Z-Wave updates/fixes, but AFAIK it's not in beta yet (unless it's in a limited early beta) so it may be a while before that shows up. No one knows and HE isn't saying anything about dates.

2 Likes

Try moving the hub close to them when pairing. That’s what I had to do.

I actually don't have any ghost devices showing up. Also, now this morning one of my wired GE Z-wave plus Jasco 14291 devices is showing the same problem. As soon as I send it a command to turn on or off again then the FAILED or NOT RESPONDING status resolves it self. I'm ok with things if they keep working in the background and this is just a reporting issue, but I worry about the battery sensors.

If a sensor goes into FAILED or NOT RESPONDING long enough ,will the hub stop "listening" for events from it? I had an instance overnight where one of my sensors said FAILED and i don't think it reported a change from closed to open which resulted in my hot water recirculation pump trying to run all night.

Thats why I'm not sure if this is really "ok" or not...

Thanks, i'll keep an eye out for 2.2.4 for sure. Is there any specific place to sign-up or ask for early beta access? I'm brand new to hubitat (many year smartthings user who finally got fed up with smartthings amidst the transition from classic to regular which broke so many of my devices)

It seems like, for a healthy mesh the hub should be able to interact with anything via it's permanent location? I have the Hubitat sitting in the same spot my old SmartThings Hub was; wit ST I added things much farther away without a second thought. This just seems fundamentally broken.

Hubitat has a smaller antenna. Just trying to help you get going. Many are able to move forward by pairing with the hub next to the device.

Not that I know of. It isn't even in external beta testing yet, so it doesn't seem like it is "imminent"/in the next day or two.

1 Like

I am not sure if they are taking people right now for Beta Testing. They were a month or two ago if I remember correctly.

This has been the case for some devices. I know that I paired many dozens of devices in place when or after I transferred from Wink. But then I ran across a couple devices that just plain refused to pair until I moved the hub closer, or the device closer to the hub.

The other thing that helped was to get a few good repeating devices in place first, and do a Zwave repair, and wait a day to let the mesh settle down. From there it was much easier to pair everything else with the exception of those few things like I noted above that had to be paired closer to the hub.

2 Likes

I appreciate the suggestions for sure.

I think I might have made some progress so I wanted to post my findings in the event it is helpful for anyone else. Since I was just beginning to setup Hubitat, it was not a major inconvenience to do a z-wave mesh reset to clear everything out. I followed that up with a full reset of the hub itself as well.

I have three ZEN25 double plugs and many ZEN26 switches. I mention that because they all attempt to use S2 security features by default. I believe the dialogue when adding these devices mentions to NOT change the default setting unless you know what you are doing; so I originally just accepted the default option on those. I seen mention of instability on the C7 with z-wave in general but even more specifically some folks having issues with S2 functionality.

I went ahead and unplugged all the ZEN25 double plugs just to simplify things. I also removed the battery from the single sensor device I have. Once the hub was reset, I was able to successfully run excludes on every wired z-wave device in my house. I also did a factory reset on each that had that functionality on the switch.

I started adding everything back and, for anything that presented a S2 prompt, I unchecked ALL of the S2 boxes to exclude that from the pairing. It all seems to be working perfectly now? I am going to wait until tomorrow to run any automation commands. All the devices in the z-wave details page look fine and the only thing showing S2 security is the hub itself.

At least on initial review, it seems like the S2 functionality (even setting it as S2 unauthenticated) might have been causing some serious stability issues in the mesh? I can't pinpoint any further details that would correlate with this significant behavior change. If that is the case though, I am a bit disappointed my support ticket did not mention that at all.

Either way I'll monitor it for awhile and see how it looks moving forward. Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions.

1 Like

Yep, and that is supposedly fixed in the upcoming 2.2.4 firmware release. Glad your stuff is working now.

I JUST installed 2.2.4, and did a zwave repair. I still have the same 4 zwave plus devices shown as "failed". Is there something else should I do to fix the broken devices?

1 Like

Do the devices actually work from the device details page? If so, then ignore the status - it isn't, and never will be, 100% accurate 100% of the time.

If the devices don't work at all, remove them and re-pair them.

Ok so I removed one of the unresponsive line-powered zwave plus devices, reset it, then re-paired it with the C7. That seemed to work. I then went on to the next unresponsive device, and for the life of me it would NOT pair. I then also discovered that the Hub wasn't controlling any light. I shutdown the hub, pulled the power for 15 seconds, and waited on the hub to come back online. The previously stubborn light switch now instantly paired, and the other lights were now functional.

1 Like

Check in settings, zwave devices for any devices besides the first that have nothing in the clusters just to make sure you dont have any ghost nodes.

I had my Aeotec TriSensors (S2 mode) do this after installing 2.2.4 and running a Z-Wave network repair - I just walked in front of them and they woke up and now they are showing up normally.

I have two mysterious (to me) devices that are 'failed' and no in or out clusters. One is node 0x0E and the other is 0x2A. Are these ghost devices?

If the in/out clusters are blank, yes they are ghosts. And can wreak havok on your mesh at times - best to go through the effort to remove them.

2 Likes

Yep those are ghost nodes. If you know what devices they are associated to but later paired successfully you can remove power to the device and click repair on the device until it goes to failed and then click remove. If the hub can ping the device it won't let you remove it.

2 Likes

Ok one ghost was easily removed, but the second is being stubborn. From what you said if the hub can ping the ghost, it won't remove it. But I have 20+ devices and don't have a clue which one it belongs to. Is there a way to track it down?

Devices are listed in the Z-Wave Details page in order in which they paired. If you can remember what device came after another, or at least the general order you should be able to narrow it down to two or three likely devices to try first.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

1 Like