Recreating Piston in RM

Apologizing in advance as I’m only reading your use description, since pistons are very foreign to me. Can you not do this with Simple Lighting and Motion Lighting apps instead?

Thanks both - It’s looking like a combination of different rules to rebuild this.

Weekend project I think !

Why a 10 minutes change in the timing for Friday to Sunday? It's an indoor light. I'm analyzing your piston, I "translated" all my pistons to RM and SL

Its 1 hr and 10 minutes.
The reason being we are up later at the weekends than during the week.
This means when we are away it looks like we are at home and up later at the weekends.
No other reason.

True, is one hour, I had to download the picture to open it bigger.

No problem.

Your piston is very interesting, but I believe you must split it and shrink it, I don't understand why you have 2 separate triggers for different times, I mean one for night and one for day time but anyway the lux and the motion defines the rule, I think you can eliminate the daytime times completely, but, I can't find the special part of your piston in RM, the random turn off between 10 minutes and 1 hour. I'm looking.

I'm not being rude, my first language is not English, sorry if my post sounds like rude. Just trying to help.

You will have to say a lot worse for me to take things as being rude. :wink: Anyway.

The reason it is written like this is that the lights will always turn on between the set times, 09:00 - 22:33 Mon to Thu, if the lux level is below a certain level, whether we are at home or not.
22:33 - 09:00, the lights will turn on if the lux is below a certain level and there is motion.
As I've said before, the lights will always come on and turn off every day whether we are at home or not, hopefully giving the impression that someone is home.

There is a random delay available in RM, if that helps for your turn-off scenario.

I know I've asked this before but thought I'd give a very gentle nudge in case it may be possible.
In the other app ( :wink: ) there is the ability to put in random delays/wait times between 2 values.
e.g. wait randomly between 37 and 78 minutes.

Any chance please, pretty please grovel, grovel. :smile:

While you are waiting, you can still do this:

Delay these actions: 37
Run action2

Action2:
Delay these actions: 41 random
whatever you wanted randomly delayed between 37 and 78

1 Like

You can look at @bangali room manager app, this may do what your looking for but in a different way.

1 Like

seconding what @BorrisTheCat said this is a fairly straight forward setup in rooms manager. full disclosure i am the developer of the app. :slight_smile:

this is one of the typical setup users use rooms manager for. once you have the app installed shouldnt take the first one more than 30 mins to setup. after that for each room will probably take 10 mins.

should you need any help setting up i would be glad to help answer any questions.

Thanks for the information but I really don't need anything that complex for my needs.

Sorry to be thick here but this is still early days for me with RM but I don't see how I can set up 2 actions within one rule.
Are you saying that the first rule waits 37 minutes on false and then runs a second rule that turns the light off after a random wait.
I could see how that would work.

This is what I have come up with.
Would you mind clarifying if this is what you mean.
Thanks.

Realised that I need to put a stop actions in in case rule becomes true after 10 min delay and before random turn off matures.
Learning all the time.

EDIT:Works a treat. :smile:

Did you test the setting >7 for illuminance? I believe you want to turn on the lights if the illuminance is below 7, I think its <7, but maybe I'm just confusing the logic. Thanks for posting the rule.

Edit: curious, where is located the lux sensor, in the outdoor?

The above was configured only for testing purposes to ensure it worked. I altered the times as well to test.
I'm pleased to say it did.
I can post the finished rules if you wish to see them.

if you do give it a try you might actually find it much simpler. nothing to loose … its free … except for the hour you might spend getting it installed and the first one setup. :slight_smile:

1 Like