Recommended Z-Wave Repeaters

God, I hate Z-Wave!!!

My Z-Wave network/mesh is mostly fine. But there are some devices that I would like to strengthen. I have added one Repeater. An Aeotec Range Extender 7. It has always connected direct to the HE with a Speed of 100K. I have waited 3 full days for the Repeater to acclimate in each location.

I have moved this Repeater to 9 different locations. In 6 locations, not a single device used the Repeater. In 2 locations, I got 1 device to use the Repeater. In the 9th location, there are 3 devices using the Repeater. All 3 of these Z-Wave Plus devices that used to connect at a Speed of 100K and no more than 2 hops. Now, using the Repeater, 2 of the devices have a speed of 40K and one of the devices has slowed to 9.6K. I don't consider this an improvement. And I don't appreciate the Z-Wave mesh switching these 3 devices from their former routing to using this Repeater.

My guess is that this Repeater is a C7 device and connects just great with my C7 HE. But none of my devices use C7 and they just don't work well with this particular C7 Repeater.

So what is a good Z-Wave Plus Repeater that will play well with all other devices, and actually improve my network?

A few comments:

1. The Aeotec RE7 is a fine repeater. I have 2, and they attract devices like flies.

2. Denny Page (@dennypage) wrote a fine driver for them, and found a bug in the Aeotec RE7 while doing so, which Aeotec subsequently fixed in their firmware 1.03, so make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

1. That said, the Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 is a fine repeater, too, and has a 700 series chip. I have 6 of them sprinkled around the house. It has an internal battery backup (to maintain a mesh path to the hub) and can send power events when it switches to battery backup. I use this to safely shut down my hub before its UPS runs dry.
3 Likes

Thank you. I have just installed the Denny Page driver, whereas it was using the Generic Z-Wave Repeater driver. The device is running firmware V. 1.3 which is current. However, while the driver provides more functions, it is not clear that it will help the Repeater actually repeat.

In my original post, I failed to mention that I have previously removed S2 from the Repeater and most of my devices, including the 3 that now run slow when connected to the Repeater.

Ok, well two more things.

1. You just have to have patience regarding routing. The recent firmware updates for the Hub (especially the C-7) have the Z-Wave Radio continually churning the mesh, trying to explore for better routes. It’s not a high amount of traffic, but it happens. Doing manual Z-Wave Repair operations if nothing is broken doesn’t hasten this process, but actually disrupts the process. You just need to be patient as this route exploration happens. It may take a week or two for things to settle down.

2. You could read the posts by Denny Page (@dennypage ), who wrote the driver, but I believe that there’s some reason that the Aeotec RE7 likes to be paired S2. I think it may have something to do with some of the optional tests that it can run. It does not affect the device’s function as a repeater, regardless of how it is paired. Both of mine are paired S2, work fine.

1 Like

Again. Thank you. I removed S2 from devices because the entire mesh seems to work much better without it. That is, most devices reduced or eliminated hops.

I have ordered an Aeotec 6 Repeater. I will see if it makes any difference Vs. the Aeotec 7 Repeater.

One thing you may need to do it to look at the SDK Version of your devices from the zwavealliance page.

Repeating messages is a network level issue with some versions of the SDK from Sigma Designs (now purchased by SiLabs). Typically the company would not have access to this part of the FW.

Did that help your problem?

1 Like

I cannot get an Aeotec RE7 included with a C5 hub. The hub has directions for including which I have followed but the hub simply doesn't find it - even from 1ft away. Factory reset (twice), but it still doesn't show up. I have a mere 4 z-wave devices which were included easily and work just fine (and two of those kwikset locks!). No ghost devices. Why can't I include this sucker?