Recommendations for sensors?

How you display them on the dashboard doesn't affect how the device operates or it's functionality being used in a rule. All attributes will still work independent of the display on the dashboard.

It means that device didn't pair using the Generic Zigbee Motion/Humidity Sensor, If you look on that devices page and the driver will be something else. Change the driver to the Generic Zigbee Motion/Humidity Sensor, click save device then click the configure button.

1 Like

Yup, that was it - it paired using a contact sensor driver. Sorry I'm slow about these things. I figured it out a half second after you posted. Now the motion attribute isn't listed but, as per what aaiyar said, I assume that will take a bit before it is assigned.

You can also click the refresh tab and it "should" be displayed shortly.

The only reason I wanted them on the dashboard is to keep track of battery power and also humidity which I am going to use to create some humidity-based rules to turn on/off the bathroom shower vent. I'm not even sure what numbers to use for those. Any suggestions?

You can do all of the above. Just on the Dashboard in order to get ALL attributes will require 2 separate tiles (1 as a motion device and 1 as a humidty device, using the same device just picking a different "template". Having 2 tiles doesn't in anyway affect how you use the device to trigger a rule.

Leave the sensor in the room for 24 hours, after 24 hours look at the device "events" tab upper left and see what the humidity range has been, then take the highest number and make a rule that is triggered by at least 5% above that highest number.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your advice. So I have three of the IRIS v3 sensors set up, two in my Master Bathroom (one in the main bathroom and one in the commode room).

What I've noticed is that the lights don't always turn on in the Master Bathroom with motion. They work most of the time - about 80% of the time. Either the Zigbee signal is not getting to the Hubitat quickly or the Z-wave signal isn't coming from the Hubitat back to the switch. The switch for the Master Bath lights does work.

I have an additional problem in that the Leviton light switch in the Master Commode room has, once again, lost its connection with the rest of the network. I can see from the Devices details page that it's last activity was on 5/12/2021 even though it should have turned on in response to motion or responded to Alexa many times after that. It does not respond to Dashboards or Alexa.

I've searched for Ghost Nodes and made sure the firmware for all Leviton switches is up to date (was finally able to get this accomplished today - Yay!). Unless there is another possibility, I'm guess that the Master Bathroom, which is on the North side of the house, is probably not getting Z-wave/Zigbee signals in and out very well.

I have Philips Hue light bulbs in the next room (the Master Bedroom) which I believe are Zigbee and work just fine. I also have an Aeotec Z-wave extender in the Master Bedroom. In fact, I have several Z-wave extenders between the Master Bedroom and where the Hubitat Elevation is located.

So now my question - should I buy another Z-wave range extender + Zigbee range extender for the Master Bathroom itself? Is there an extender that combines both Z-wave and Zigbee? Will it be compatible with my existing Aeotec Z-wave range extenders?

How many zigbee routers (repeaters do you have? I would recommend these:

They are small, relatively inexpensive - you can have three for less $50. They're also discreet and can be be stuck into any USB outlet.

Ikea makes one that is similar but larger. The Tuya repeater will pair as a "Device" to Hubitat, but work fine to repeat signals. You can also use the Ikea Tradfri Repeater driver with it.

1 Like

I have no dedicated Zigbee routers. Wasn't sure how many I should have. I now have 3 Zigbee motion sensors (the IRIS V3), 10 Philips Hue light bulbs, 11 Philips LED light strips covering two floors of my house. I wasn't sure if Zigbee devices created their own mesh/repeaters like Z-wave plus devices.

Do these Tuya Repeaters come with the USB-outlet plug in or do I need to buy those separately?

Also, when I pair them with Hubitat, are there any special pairing instructions, or do I just put them where I expect to use them and pair from there?

I now have 6 of these IRIS sensors and I definitely notice slower activation on the 1st floor which is further away from my HE. So I'm thinking to get 2-3. I assume that signals traveling through several repeaters will still work?

You can use any USB outlet that supports up to 1A load.

Hey there @aaiyar and @waynespringer79 and @dbhosttexas,

Have any of you observed weird behavior from these IRIS V3 sensors during lightning storms? Last night my wife told me that the lights in the kids room where I have one of these sensors on a motion-based routine to turn lights on/off kept turning on every few minutes in the middle of the night. She thought it was happening every time there was lightening/thunder but wasn't sure. It definitely wasn't happening due to motion because the sensor is tucked away in a corner facing away from everyone in the room and behind a section of wall.

Never seen that ā€¦

2 Likes

@Krishna It's not necessarily the motion sensor, but the switch / bulbs.

Power fluctuations to the devices seem to cause this behavior.

3 Likes

Most, but not all mains powered Zigbee devices are repeaters. To my knowledge, no battery powered devices are repeaters, thus if you have only battery powered Zigbee devices, you do not have an actual mesh network.

It's in no small part the reason I put Zigbee smart plugs more or less everywhere...

1 Like

So I could probably improve my Zigbee device performance by buying a bunch of Zigbee smart plugs?

One other thought: I have several of the Phillips hue devices, in fact quite a few of them- bulbs and LED strips. Donā€™t those all operate with Zigbee?

Are they on a Hue bridge (hopefully)?

Yes. By which i mean that they are connected to the Philips Hue bridge and I have connected that to Hubitat using the official App.

I ask because, next to the bathroom where I am getting inconsistent performance from the IRIS v3 Zigbee motion sensors, i have 6 Philips Hue bulbs in my master bedroom which work just fine. Wouldnā€™t these create a Zigbee mesh that would improve my master bathroom zigbee motion sensors response times?

Of course, I ordered that Tuya Zigbee repeater and when it comes in, I will see if that helps. Iā€™m just confused as to why Philips devices work so well despite also being Zigbee as compared to my motion sensors.

No - that mesh is specific to your Hue bridge (as the zigbee coordinator). They will not repeat for something paired to a different zigbee coordinator (like the sensor paired to Hubitat).

ahh, ok. That makes more sense.

So hereā€™s another question. Would it make more sense for me to buy Zigbee smart plugs instead of dedicated Sigbee repeaters just so I could take advantage of the smart plug capability? I am understanding that the smart plugs would also help with creating a Sigbee mesh and act like repeaters, yes?