Reboot remotely?

See my post above. If your power is out but the hub is on battery backup, you won't have internet so the hub won't be able to ping 1.1.1,1 when this happens have a Hubitat rule that shuts down the hub cleanly. If the ups dies the hub goes off. When the power comes back on so does the ups and the power to the hub. Hub goes back to doing its job

I apologize before hand. It is not my intention to hijack this thread. It is just happen I am making a device that may be an interest for the community in situation like this. Yes, in very rare occasion, I get myself a stuck hub probably not the fault of hubitat. With this as motivation, I am building a hub monitoring device combined with a battery backup. It should work with any battery backup module but I have one that I have matched a battery module from aliexpress.

Here is how it look like.

The top part is the monitoring device that I make. In the picture below, the board functionality is basically the red boxes.

It has a couple relays and ESP32. ESP32 can monitor Hubitat, input power and battery level. Based on these inputs, I think we can make an monitoring system that watch for power outage and dead hub. The ESP32 can attempt to perform graceful shutdown when the power is down. The ESP32 can perform power toggle to restart the hub. It is just a matter of coding the ESP32.

Currently, I am just implementing control the relay so that I can force reboot my hub if needed. Here is a demo of my test.

Eventually, I am planning to implement more autonomous monitoring and recovery actions in the case of stuck hub and power outage. I am hoping this can take care of the reboot while I am not home.

7 Likes

awesome, I already have a 12v security panel with backup then a 12v to 5v usb DC-DC convertor. I need something like this to complete the setup. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder if this would work because my hub was completely unresponsive as to where my automations would not run.

My hub is doing it again randomly unresponsive.

Where did this end up. Have you thought about working with @dJOS and @JohnRob on their USB-C UPS for the hub?

When this happens, is the hub’s LED green? If so, make sure you have the hub on a network segment with no jumbo frames.

The network stack on the C-7 and C-5 is known to crash when the network interface sees a jumbo frame. And since multicast can be sent as jumbo frames, the possibility of this happening is pretty high on a network where devices use jumbo frames.

One simple solution is to put the hub on a dumb 10/100 mbps switch.

1 Like

I am still experimenting it on my own. There still something awkward about the idea integrating with our hub. I was looking for idea to manage the switch with the hub. However, there is a case where the hub could be powered down.

It feel to me that it is more of independent ups where one can manage remotely and some automation specific for our hub to handle power outages situation. I don't have too much time to build the remote management ui at this time.

1 Like

Yes it is green. Same issue as before IP of hub never loads. Switch can see hub.

I really wish the hub had a auto reboot every night option. shutting itself down properly.

Make sure there are no jumbo frames seen by the hub. This is the major cause of the hub’s network stack crashing with exactly the same symptoms you’ve seen.

And yes, there are ways to have a scheduled reboot.

1 Like

I don't use Jumbo frames, how do you do the scheduled reboot?

There are a few options to do this. The simplest might just be to use the Rebooter community app:

1 Like

I know this thread is seeing some necromancy but I identified with this comment.

This is the exact reason I moved to Hubitat. I was using Wink and Stringify to run my exterior lights. I was at Burning Man for a couple of weeks and my internet connection (fiber) went down after the first week. Something that hadn’t happened before or since. Because Stringify was cloud based I lost my exterior motion based lights. That led me to Hubitat. My exterior lights are now so much more. (Yesterday they turned on yellow/green for the first day of spring. I forgot about that and was “oooh, nice” when I saw them. :joy:

I get people saying HE isn’t for security and that’s ok. I agree, it is only a piece of the puzzle. I have Ring cameras (off site storage) and wired cameras (on-site and battery backed up). I also have motion lights that are controlled at the device. Redundancy is good.

Inside is much more creative but I haven’t gotten to the backup aspect yet. I’m waiting on some backordered gear then I plan on rebuilding everything. Right now I have four meshes on three hubs. :flushed: That all needs to be rebuilt.

Anyway, this was a good thread to get thinking about future upgrades.

If I recall I believe some of the staff even suggested that in the Habitat live announcing the C8. All of my hubs are set up on a POE switch. I wanted to point out however that in order to be able to shut the POE port sown as @dadarkgtprince suggests, you need a managed switch. On an unmanaged switch you don't have access to that.

1 Like

I have a Vivint system, which uses all Zwave components. I've often wondered what exactly the difference is between a Vivint system and using habitat as a security system (Especially sense most of my stuff is Zwave anyway. The only difference I can truly tell is Battery back up built into the touch screen panel. but an extended power outage and that system would be gone anyway.

I tend to thinks this is about QC and coding reliability. You are likely using all of their zwave sensors with their alarm system. They know exactly how that will work and can fill firmware gaps to ensure reliability.

This is why when I replaced my "Smartthings ADT Alarm Panel" I went 100% Ring Gen2 gear for anything security related. Since they are already designed for an alarm system like your Vivint devices they have better features to serve that purpose. One big one I have seen brought up allot is regular frequent health checks to know if a device fails or falls off the security system. Every ring sensor posts battery status every 90 min. With that knowledge it isn't hard to use apps like device activity to monitor those sensors and let me know within hours if a device falls off the network or the battery dies.

I checked a few sensors and very few actually do this. None of the other sensors I have are this consistant and could be relied on in this way.

1 Like

I know this is a old post but ever since i upgraded to the new C-8 last May 2023 this issue has completely went away.

1 Like