Reboot remotely?

Kasa switches can have a schedule that is independent if the internet so even if down will turn on/off i have them on all my remote devices..one of our houses is always empty.

In addition they remember las state when power returns and many switches i tested did not.

Finally for true reliability i have a secondary wifi network on an att acces point in each house with the main cable wifi kasa switches on that.

It coats an extra 20 bucks a month on the family plan.

I wonder if this would work:

https://remoteaccess.aws.hubitat.com/login

There is a reboot hub button in that interface.

On my old c4 that goes down at time this almost always works for me. Even when the port 8081 didn't, don't make sense but I'm not questioning it :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yes, the hub will crash. I expect every electronic device I own properly reboot after a power-off. If not, it has no place in my computing systems. With the inevitable electrical grid problems, power-offs will occur. I’ve paid a lot of $ for engineers, designers, and manufacturers to figure out a device’s technological problems so that I, as end user, can use the device with 99.999% confidence. Fortunately, updateable and upgradeable firmware has made continuous improvement possible for most devices.

If a device has a schedulable programmatic method to reboot, I configure it to do so weekly. I have found that some (well-designed) devices are able to reboot on schedule even though they were otherwise inaccessible.

I searched the Kasa EP10 manual for whether the schedule was kept on the device. I didn’t find it, but I could have missed it. If kept on the device, along with its other features, the plug is a handy device. I ordered two. Thanks!

1 Like

The hub will reboot if power is suddenly lost and then restored, but data loss or corruption could occur if the database was being written to when the power cycled.

This is true for many computer systems. If your PC is writing data to a hard drive when the power is killed, the same problem can occur (ie data loss).

This is why uninterruptible power supplies exist. In the event of a sudden power loss to connected equipment, the battery kicks on, giving the user time to shut down a PC (or Hubitat hub) before the battery is drained completely if the power loss is extended.

6 Likes

I tried the link, and it takes me to the signup for remote admin and doesn't display any of my 4 hubs

PC's are just as susceptible to corruption from bad power downs, are you saying you don't use a PC? Have you ever seen a NAS or SAN dirty shut downed and then have to go into rebuild mode? When writes aren't completed this happens...

6 Likes

I have remote admin - maybe it is a requirement?

Yes this is for remote admin subscription

1 Like

Not a CYA IMO. No device which relies on writing to an internal file system and no battery backup should be relied upon as the primary security system. I would hope that HE users would be a bit more savvy than the average joe.

I use HSM, but only as a secondary security system and I have UPS backup on my entire network.

I wish my phone would exhibit that level of reliability. :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure how much people are reading at this point, but hopefully I can add something more than what has already been expertly put....

I'd question that statistic, thinking it is more likely the opposite....

I feel convenience is more the broader use of HE and other HA systems. If I wanted security, I would feel more comfortable engaging a company whose sole focus was security, where their products and personnel were dedicated to securing their customers home, it's contents and inhabitants. If they were also needing to sort out my smart lighting enquiries, they may be distracted more than I would like... No slight on HE staff, just the reality of who I want looking after my safety.. Not that I have ventured into that space yet...

1 Like

I’m fully aware it’s not meant to be a security system. As I have cameras etc it’s just disappointing the hub has stopped responding.

Is that part of the subscription for remote admin?

It is my understanding that it is, yes.

I have a hub at my father’s place and manage it for him. Remote admin is very useful in this case as I no longer need to remote into his laptop to then connect to the hub.

I'm home now a simple unplug fixed the issue.

The HUB was completely unresponsive no matter what port i used. I don't think the remote admin would have made any difference.

Will these work if the internet is off? Also isn't just killing the power bad for the hubitat hub?

Yes.

Yes.

So the proper procedure would be to do a shutdown (using the GUI), and then a power-cycle.

Not if you are remote. What you should do is pick an internet point (1.1.1.1) and have the hub ping it. After so many failed pings it does a clean boot. Rinse and repeat.

Yes, it can lead to corruption. To avoid, see above.

3 Likes

I use a Tuya WiFi plug that I can turn on and off remotely with the Tuya app even when the Hubitat is down but my router and WiFi are up. The Tuya plug goes into a UPS to protect the Hubitat from transient mains spikes and brief power loss. This also makes the occasional shutdown, disconnect power, re-start very easy even from another room in the house. I believe we discussed this in another thread.

How can this be avoided?