[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Does anybody have any experience with moving from the "2020-07-22" (the last pre-Ardichoke) version to the latest?

I probably ought to make the leap--wondering about the least problematic way to do that?

Thanks!

Thanks. Wound up giving up and just paired the locks directly into Hubitat.

2 Likes

Yeah, I paired my locks directly to the Hubitat. While they might be a bit more "reliable" with the Ring, I really wanted the locks more to control automation behaviors in my hub.

I have the "need to call emergency services" stuff directly to the Ring (smoke/CO2 alarms, outside door sensors, motion sensors). That way, the devices are connected to the hub that's their primary function.

Still, I'll be screwed if the Ring stuff stops working because, in all honesty, I truly believe that home automation is inextricably linked to the alarm system. There are just so many times that you can do useful things when they are tied together.

1 Like

Yup. Following the upgrade, things don’t work. As I recall, I had to do some initialize/refresh a few times to get things going again and had no other issues. Be prepared to have to restore a backup.

1 Like

I’m in the process of changing my door sensors from V1 to V2.

The new V2 sensor isn’t getting detected in the existing app. @morse.caleb, interested in taking a look at the detection code to see if something is missing?

I suspect a bug in the running of the detection code (does it even run?) when the button is pressed a while following an install. I suspect I could remove the virtual alarm and reinstall it, but this workaround would mean a whole bunch of rules would need to be fixed...

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Some Background:
In a Ring, the new sensor is detected and I left the old one there for now, until everything is working in Hubitat.

In Hubitat, I did an initialize and a refresh on the Parent device. I also did a device discovery in he app.
Then, I went to the Ring Virtual Alarm Hub and did a Refresh and Create Devices.

Go back to the parent device. The new sensor is not there - has not been created.

I suspect this log entry is related, but really not sure:

On another hub, a new install of Virtual Alarm hub detects the sensor and recognizes its state changes, so I know it can work.

I now have to go help my mother with one of her doorbells, so will let this rest until I come back and see what else I can try.

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing them?

Just for the looks. The old ones are bulky. The new ones are nice and slim. That’s about it...

I'm in the exact same boat. Door and motion sensors directly connected to Ring, the rest to HE.

1 Like

Update on my addition of V2 Contact Sensors:

Since my other hub could discover the new Alarm devices, I ended up just copying the new devices’ Device ID to the old devices on the production hub. As soon as I saved them, they started working.

This was actually a very good thing as I then didn’t have to go and update the devices in all my rules... That would have been a very time consuming update!

Note that while I was transitioning, I kept both the old and new sensors on Ring. Until I removed the old sensors, I started seeing errors in my log (“Unsupported device type!”, “Couldn't find device Front Door - Old of type sensor.contact with zid...”, etc.). They all went away after I removed them from Ring. All good now!

That said... I hope that someone can eventually find the issue with a post-install discovery and fix it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean? As in the same app version on your other hub did discover them?

On my other hub, I just delete the app and re-install it. It discovers the alarm related devices fine with a new install - just not after the install has completed...

I just couldn’t do that on my production hub as it would have mangled many, many rules...

1 Like

So. If I jot down all the DNIs from my current HE hub, using the old Ring App--then install the new app.

If things are screwed up, can I manually stuff those back into the virtual Ring devices so my zillion rules keep working?

My biggest fear of upgrading is that I'll get "*** Broken Rule ***" after I upgrade on dozens of very complex rules.

Good question... but I don’t think so. I think the issue is different then you upgrade. When I went through it, initially nothing worked. The DNIs hadn’t changed (As far as I know...). I just had to re-activate the devices somehow and I did that by doing a bunch of refresh, etc. A reboot of the hub may have done the same, no idea...

I would recommend you just backup the hub. If it doesn’t work and nothing you do makes it work, just restore it.

2 Likes

Anyone try getting the Mailbox Sensor to work yet on the latest integration? I only see this on logs below even with all logging options enabled:

I have both motion sensor drivers, does appear to be trying to use the motion-sensor.beams that is already on the Ring API Virtual Device driver

But not really sure since logs aren't showing any other messages I would expect if the device is a different type that isn't already supported.

Edit:
I got it working, I noticed something was wrong with the API Device since it was trying to create the bridge device over and over again so I just deleted the integration and recreated it and it added just fine as a motion sensor:

There seems to be an issue with the creation of devices post-installation. Hopefully, someone that has the skills to fix it will be bored one day and implement a fix. :grin:

What you did is a similar workaround to what I did last time. I think it would also be possible to create a new device and set the device id to “RING||“ with the appropriate driver.

Does this still need IFTTT ??

It does for HE to see the "motion" triggers from the Cameras. It is not needed for the Ring Alarm aspects.

What you can also do is using @ogiewon's awesome Momentary HTTP virtual switch exposed to Alexa that in turn turns this driver/switch on, mimicking the IFTTT webhook to eliminate IFTTT.

e.g. This is how I have it set up for one of my camera I pulled off of IFTTT

So basically Alexa is flipping this switch which in turn makes a local network call to this app mimicking what it would have gotten at cloud.hubitat.com from IFTTT, but local and without IFTT.

6 Likes

Awesome... my ring doorbell will in today so I'm just researching on it now.

Another option is to entirely skip this integration and setup a virtual momentary motion sensor switch that Alexa (or IFTTT) triggers to accomplish your needs if all you have/need is the doorbell actions to trigger HE automations.

It really depends on what you are looking for. But this integration in general is awesome and powerful if you have a pretty robust Ring eco-system, in particular Ring Alarm.

4 Likes

If I have 2 locations how is this done? Looks like I can only choose 1 location.