[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

I'm up and running. The only issue I have is that my barometer reported in weewx is off. I configured my offset correctly in the WG-1100, WXView and WUnderground are correct, but weewx is not. I see the values coming in, and attempted to use StdCalibrate to adjust, but it's not working. I did read somewhere that you can't change barometer value directly since it's calculated.

> LOOP: 2022-07-21 22:43:41 EDT (1658457821) altimeter: 30.18277648945954, appTemp: 86.94991071305586, barometer: 30.169324043220016, cloudbase: 2316.7727746990313, dateTime: 1658457821, daymaxwind: 7.7, dayRain: 0.0, dewpoint: 71.00579979132426, heatindex: 83.55621700668392, humidex: 96.29267485400348, inDewpoint: 48.56614117814291, inHumidity: 46, inTemp: 70.34, luminosity: 0.0, maxSolarRad: None, monthRain: 0.07874015748031496, outHumidity: 74, outTemp: 80.06, pressure: 29.89911234375, radiation: 0.0, rain: 0.0, rainRate: 0.0, relbarometer: 986.3, stormRain: 0.0, usUnits: 1, UV: 0, uvradiation: 0.0, weekRain: 0.0, wh65_batt: 0, wh65_sig: 4, windchill: 80.06, windDir: 286, windGust: 2.2369418519393043, windSpeed: 2.2369418519393043, yearRain: 0.07874015748031496

My actual barometer reading should be .25 less than the one reported. Any ideas? I've tried digging through weewx google group (such a pain), and wxforum to no avail, so figured I'd take a shot here.

Appreciate the docs you shared; they helped make this a painless process. So glad to get rid of Acurite after they really screwed over folks with their SmartHub debacle a few years ago.

3 Likes

Glad you're up and running, and that the docs were useful. :slight_smile:

I haven't really spent too much time on weather stuff lately, just too much going on family-wise, so don't have any ideas about the barometer stuff. Almost silly of me to spend much time on weather while living on SoCal. All we have is:

• Nice weather
  • Not as nice weather
  • Too hot

:wink:

4 Likes

I won't have time to the weekend to take a look, but hopefully some of the regulars can offer some assistance :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

From what I can see in the sensor driver you are right in that the barometer / pressure readings are ignored and a calculation performed based on temperature, altitude and..... some maths... :slight_smile: . It doesn't appear that the readings you posted earlier were even part of the original set developed for, barometer and rebarometer don't get mentioned. Perhaps others have some of the background on why the calcs were introduced? I vaguely remembering there being conversation about it on the old thread, but that is not around anymore.

I'd consider adding them in, even if they were accompanied by a toggle to switch between calculated results and those provided by the sensor.

sad to say the latest firmware update on my older gw1000 is defective..
when it boots or looses wifi connection it immediatly starts up its own wifi gatway and it is so strong it blocks out my router.. so when i reboot my router it basically takes over the 2.4ghz bands and the router cannot even start up the 2.4ghz band.. it never used to do this and there apparently is no way to turn it off.

the previous behavior was once configured it would not start up its own wifi gateway unless you reset it.

not only that it will then not reconnect to the existing rebooted router unless it reboots as it is broadcasting so loudly it cannot see the network..

anyone know where i can download the older firmware..

That's not good.... particularly given I also have the older model.... What version is the dodgy one that shouts so loud? And what version were you hoping to revert back to?

Ill.let you know. Not at that house right niw. I think gw1000b

I have a replacement for it , but first i'll move it to the basement so.it is not as close to the router to see if that alleviates it.

1 Like

Solving my own problems here. Barometer values were fixed in Weewx once I calibrated abs and rel offsets using this handy tool.

https://caboose700.github.io/ws-barometer-offset-calculator/

1 Like

Happy to report moving it to the basement far away from main router alleviated it. I opened a ticket with ecowitt and they insist there was no change but am 99% sure previously if you want to re-pair it you needed to reset the device and consequently the wifi gateway would not start broadcasting its own access pt if it momentarily lost connection.

Here is the device and firmware version i am having trouble with.

sad to say the success was short lived.. i have now swapped it out for a newer gw1100b

here is the proof that ecowitt wanted about the stupid gw1100b spamming the router..

see the circled device that is the ecowitt mac address matched below.. see it is spamming with 0 db of signal and 92 db of noise.

new gw1100b does nothing like that when the router reboots

1 Like

That's not good....

I might not follow through on this then.... Given it's the same version that has caused you issues. Have you reported it to EcoWitt at all? If not I am happy to contact them.

Could just be the device failing. Hard to know, but doubt it as it didn't start till after fw update. And if i turn it off and back.on after router reboot it would work fine.

But luckily they are cheap enough...Swaped
out with a newer model gw1100b working and as long as you use the same ip address you don't even have you change anything in hubitat.

2 Likes

Good to know. I don't have any pressing needs that a new firmware update is likely to bring, so pain and more work, plus potential $$ is even less of a driver to upgrade. I'll stick with what works for now.

2 Likes

I changed my mind and threw caution to the light breeze outside. Was about to log it on their forum, but given I couldn't find any other mention of it, I'm hoping it was an admittedly unlikely faulty device. I might wait until the weekend to restart my router, I do need to still work tomorrow.... But if the network is down, well.... :wink:

1 Like

I'm waiting on my Ecowitt WiFi Gateway and sensor to arrive, but in the meantime, I thought I might just ask something because I'm not sure if this is possible. To balance my home's A/C and Heat, I thought I might put these sensors in different rooms of the house to see what the difference might be. Real-time data is great, but historical data would be even better. Does anyone know if it is possibly easy enough to create a dashboard with something like a graph that shows each sensor and its respective temp / humidity on like a line chart? This way I could get an idea of just how balanced the whole house is at different times throughout the day and week. Just curious if anyone might have already done something like this. Thanks.

If you setup an Ecowitt account all the sensor data is collected and presented as a line chart.

1 Like

Thanks! First, I want to live wherever you are. It is 102 where I am right now. :slight_smile:
Secondly, I'm assuming that shows up on an Ecowitt site...correct? That chart isn't a dashboard inside of HE...correct?

1 Like

Yes this is the Ecowitt site. We are in Minnesota so the winters are a bit cold.

Yup. There are also community integrations to chart within a Hubitat Dashboard. Search for "HubiGraphs", which still work, although the author is no longer actively developing it.

There's also @bptworld's Quick Chart, which is being actively developed, and linked below:

Finally, Hubitat also makes it easy to export data to external sites to graph data. Here's an example of an indoor average temperature (over 24 hours) graphed using Node-RED, along with values from the 13 individual sensors used to calculate the average.

1 Like