[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

Good question. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to control the on and off conditions. I'm also new to using rule machine, so I'm just getting started with this.

I think i'll start a separate thread for it since it seems to be a bit tangential to this ecowitt thread.

all the code is there. I deleted the device and created a new one. I got this error upon trying to sync.

I need to look up where I have seen this before.... But in the meantime.... What HE hub version are you running?

Wow don't I look lax, I see it was your post where I'd seen this truncated class file error, including me asking the same questions about the hub version... My apologies.... I'm still getting used to managing drivers that are so widely used.

Anyway, enough about me...

I'll need to look more close at the code (doing that now).
Simon

1 Like

@jrau272 - @gopher.ny has commented on the thread below for what turned out to be an obscure issue for another user. Perhaps @gopher.ny can comment on whether the same suggestion is applicable in your situation from your earlier post or whether there have been any changes in their suggestions for this error?

It is. 2.2.9 will have a permanent fix for it.

1 Like

Thanks, this is very helpful. It's exactly the sorta 'feel' I was looking for. And apologies for any hijacking on the thread.

No worries

huh. I haven’t had any lock ups or 500 errors. I guess I’ll just hold off on upgrading until 2.2.9 drops and see if that helps. Currently the mircolino version of the driver is working, so i’ll just hang on.

thanks

I didn't explain that very well in my last post... Your screenshot of your logs showed a "Truncated class file" error. This same error appeared in the thread that I linked. While the outcome might have been different (500 errors vs your sensors not syncing), I think the root cause is the same, and so the solution will hopefully be the same.

The specific post I linked to was where the suggestion was made to access the "flushClassloaderCaches" url to resolve the root cause, which is also something you can try on your hub and see if you can then resync your sensors.

If you want to wait before moving on to these migrated EcoWitt drivers, that's fine, I'm not compelling anyone to change, it's completely your choice. And happy to help where I can if you still have any issues with Mirco's version as well.

Simon

ah. i misunderstood.

I ran that command, reinstalled the driver, and everything seems to be working now!

thanks for all your help.

1 Like

Could you add two lines to the ecowitt.json for the soil moisture sensors? Two examples are:

"<i class=\"ewi-humidity\"></i>Soil Moisture: ${humidity} %<br><i class=\"ewi-batt${batteryIcon}\"></i> ${battery} %",
"<i class=\"ewi-humidity\"></i>Soil Moisture: ${humidity} %,

1 Like

I can take a look at that for you. Have you been able to test it yourself at all?

I was using the battery one before HTML inputs were changed. I had to recreate from an attemt to get the HTML working after the change. The only data I had left was
&lt;i class=&quot;ewi-humidity&quot;&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;p&gt;Soil Moisture: ${humidity} %&lt;/p&gt;&lt;i class=&quot;ewi-batt${batteryIcon}&quot;&gt;&lt;/i&gt; ${battery} %

1 Like

There are now two new templates @tomobiki.mn, 13 and 13B are Soil Moisture, 14 and 14B are Humidity on it's own, with the only difference being the text Soil Moisture and Humidity displayed on the tile, they both display the humidity reading, with the "B" variants also displaying the battery percentage.

I do still need to update the templates page (documentation) in GitHub to fill out the templates that have been added over time, including these 2.

1 Like

I will also be looking at including manual overrides for the units of individual sensor readings, compared to the setting of imperial / metric in the gateway device preferences. The initial request centred around pressure, but I will most likely include a few others like temperature and rainfall. If anyone else has any requests in this space just let me know.

Thanks to @sburke781 for his work with re-releasing the EcoWitt gateway. I have setup a new PWS (Ambient Weather WS-2000). I have it sending data to WeatherUnderground as well as the AmbientWeather.net site with no problems. I have also setup the device driver (snell) for Hubitat to retrieve the data from AmbientWeather.net. It works ok but it is cloud based and the polling is slow. In keeping with my goal to keep everything local (no cloud), I wanted to install the EcoWitt GW1000 gateway. I have setup a separate Hubitat hub (C-5) just to handle my PWS integrations. Its local ip is 10.1.200.4 and the AmbientWeather PWS IP is 10.1.230.1 on the same LAN. I installed the gateway drivers using HPM (great piece of software!). I created a virtual device using the gateway driver. I registered a customized server on the PWS (see attached screen shot). The gateway looks to be sending the data because I get the log entry (see attached log) but I am getting an error (Exception in parse(): java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'key' on null object). I have deleted the device and uninstalled the driver and reinstalled just in case but still get the error. Also no child devices are being created...

I sent a private note to @sburke781 and he suggested that I post the question to the group. Does anybody use the app with Ambient Weather Stations?

Any suggestions?

1 Like

As @automation mentioned, he is seeing an error when attempting to load data into the HE device, which is due to the different date being sent, Ambient Weather vs EcoWitt.

Before looking at purchasing an EcoWitt Gateway or similar device, I thought it was a good idea to check whether anyone else has had experience with this any maybe has a solution, given my relatively narrow experience, having only every used the EcoWitt Gateway myself.

How do I remove/delete a sensor?
I disconnected Rain Sensor from the GW1000 Gateway.
In the HE I still can see this sensor but Remove Device button for the
sensors is grayed (not available).
The Remove Device button for the Gateway looks functional.
I guess, I can remove the Gateway (this also should remove all child/sensors)
and re-install it back. The Gateway should pickup all active/functional sensors.
But is it any more easy/elegant way to remove just single unwanted sensor?