[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

@niklasg
You could also use ambient weather devices.
I had a ws-5000 weather station before going the hubitat route and added the gw1000 to port over sensor data. The only sensor that doesn't transfer is the main indoor sensor with pressure data. The rest of the temp/ humidity sensors work just fine.

I went ahead and bought a HP2501-C console (there's one left now). According to the web site, you can use it to upload data to various web sites, but there is no API to access the device, so you would still need the gateway to integrate with HE, it seems.

Also, on their web site, they sell devices not just for the US, so be careful selecting the right frequency based on which continent you live on.

@SigFan86 -- are you still using the WS-5000 in conjunction with the GW-1000?

I was looking to add a console, and I was figuring with the firmware being different, that AW consoles wouldn't work with EW devices. Supposedly, the EW firmware works with AW, but not the other way around.

Just wanted to add my thanks for doing this, @sburke781.

Really great of you to take this extra work on and make this and the transition process available. Much appreciated!

3 Likes

@niklasg
If you already have EW devices, then i don't believe that they will pair with the ambient weather display. But if you don't already have a full weather station, then AW is a good option that is usually in stock on Amazon or their own website. And 99% of the AW devices pair with the ecowitt gateway.

In my use case i had the full ws5000 array before going with hubitat, so all i had to do was buy the gw1000 to get my sensors ported over to hubitat, and the WS5000 display continues to read my original sensor data while the gw1000 also picks up the same data to put on my dashboards

1 Like

@sburke781 -- thanks for picking up this work when microlino left. I still have the old drivers installed and working with my GW1000, but now I'm wondering if I should update to your drivers. What's new / changed since you picked up the work?

Thanks!

1 Like

Well did the changes but icons still dont show up.

This is part of my CSS.

reminder previous version.. with my additions to lastchange amount in temp and humidity is still available in my github.. These are so you can write rules that track changes.. ie is temp going up or down. etc.

1 Like

Thanks @niklasg . I haven't changed anything in the way the drivers function, just moved the code across to my own repository and adjusted any references to file hosted in that repo, so CSS files, etc.

Thanks @alexd51 , I'll need to take a closer look later today.

Happy to try and bring this into the main version @kahn-hubitat , once we get past any transition issues. Thanks for reminding me.

Just a quick note to anyone who is attempting to use the GW1000 with any other kind of console: My understanding is this will work (though I don't have a console to confirm.) I believe this because the sensors just broadcast on a frequency and anything can pick up the transmission and do whatever, without stopping any other device from picking up the same transmission. So a console won't interfere with your GW1000. Similarly, if you have two GW1000s (as I do) they can pick up the same sensors (unless you configure them not to).

Hopefully this helps anyone who was wondering.

4 Likes

I went to your repo and copied the css and replaced what i had and that fixed the problem.
All working now, thank you

1 Like

I'm still a bit confused, I would think you should just need the import statement, not to have to copy and paste the actual contents of the CSS file.... But glad to hear you got it working.

i didnt think so either. But it worked out. Probably there was a typo somewhere or i deleted more that i should have.
For some reason when i go into the CSS tab now or the jason tab i cant use my mouse to copy and paste . I have to set the cursor next to what i want to edit and then i can use the keyboard. Dont know if that was part of one of the hubitat updates but it really sucks. Trying to highlight anything in the CSS or JASON file just makes you drag the little screen around is very annoying and probably because of that i deleted something else i wasnt supposed to.

Yeah I'd noticed the change in the dialog as well.

1 Like

@sburke781

Simon:

For some reason my devices aren't showing up in the new Ecowitt instance. It's probably been 15 min since I switched over, and the devices do show up on the Ecowitt app, but not on HE. Upload setting on the Ecowitt mobile app is 300s, so that is long past.

I hadn't been doing much w/this lately and found that the Ecowitt had fallen off the network and would not come back w/a power cycle, so I reset it and added it back to the network/Ecowitt app. My devices appear (all but one temp/hum sensor that I'm not sure how to get to appear) appear in the app as well.

Screen caps

I've reloaded multiple times and also tried the resync button. I can ping the Ecowitt so I know it is connected at the correct IP (I had set fixed IP on router some time ago).

Any ideas?

I've reloaded the device page multiple times and also tried the resync button. I can ping the Ecowitt so I know it is connected at the correct IP (I had set fixed IP on router some time ago).

Any ideas?

I'll take a quick look at the lunch break in about 30-40 mins, otherwise might need to look at it overnight (for you).