Raspberry PI GPIO support

Has any developers that have a RPi thought about a way to get data from the GPIO into HE ?

I've thought about it and I have a couple of ideas, but nothing implemented.

For those skilled in coding, there's a Python websocket server floating around GitHub that could be used with the pyGPIO project to expose the GPIO data back to HE. One would just need to write a driver/app for HE to create a websocket client and then format the data.

I have an idea on how to do it, but I don't have the time to code it. :tired_face:

1 Like

I see a lot of potential in this feature. I know many RPi owners that use sensors for many home applications like soil moisture, temp and humidity that could be used in RM.

You've seen HubDuino?

4 Likes

I asked Dan if it would connect to a pi and get data from a DHT11.

I have. But, I don't think it applies to the RPi unless Dan made some changes to it recently. For my idea, I'm using 3 RPis as reef controllers (using ReefPi). Currently, I can poll data off of them via an API call, but it's a poll and not a push. So, for my temp probe sitting on GPIO12, I can't get an alert (outside of ReefPi) without polling every X minutes. If I can get it to push data from the GPIO pins I can get near instant alerts in HE.

So, that's what made me think of my original answer. I just need to find the time to code it out. :smiley:

1 Like

I meant for uses like this, not for the RPi itself

1 Like

If you already have the RPi and are using it, the OPs question makes sense.

If starting from scratch few people would use an RPi for sensor input, and would go the ESP/other small board + hubduino route.

3 Likes

cough Except those of us using ReefPi :wink:

That is different - that is a whole app that was made for the the RPi, so that makes perfect sense that you would use an RPi for that.

I more meant that if I wanted to just bring in raw sensor data, I (and almost anyone else) wouldn't use an RPi + GPIO board - they would use an arduino/ESP based board.

2 Likes

I know. I was being sarcastic (again). :smiley:

I totally get what you mean though. Honestly, if I could easily port ReefPi over to an Arduino based system, I would do it in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

HubDuino works on most microcontrollers that can be programmed via the Arduino IDE. This includes Arduino MEGA, Arduino MKR100, ESP8266, ESP32, etc... Adding support for additional boards only requires the addition of two files for platform specific communications.

HubDuino handles all bi-drectional communcations, with no need for polling between the Hubitat Hub and the microcontroller.

HubDuino supports a very wide variety of sensors, which are outlined in the ReadMe.

HubDuino does not run on a Raspberry Pi. My son's latest project, OmniThing, does run on a Raspberry Pi, and offers a web-based configuration tool. It currently does not support the large variety of sensors that HubDuino supports, but those can easily be added and he would encourage users to submit pull requests to do so. OmniThing can also run on Linux computers, ESP8266's, and even MS Windows.

Another option for the Raspberry Pi would be to use Hubitat's Maker API to send data to Hubitat. You could also use Hubitat's webSockets interface to receive updates.

5 Likes

I do like the size and price of the ESP8266s...

I wish I was better in implementing them, though. I have a 3v proximity level sensor/switch I need to make a widget to bring in the data on. Just haven't found the time... :frowning:

1 Like

Dan,
any support for BME680? Thanks!

Not the BME680. I do have support for the BME280 and BMP280.

Looks like the BME680 measures gas as well as the other Params. Is this what you’re after? What’s the application?

I'll take a look at your son app tonight. Thanks for the tip !

2 Likes