Rachio Hose Timer

I was waiting for the other to arrive from Amazon. There is two now. I use this to water two different raised bed planters in one zone and potted berry bushes in another zone (upper and lower decks).

1 Like

Cool. I don't use mine for anything so productive. In 2022 we planted five large trees that needed to be watered three times a week. and I did good remembering to water them. But one day I forgot I was watering them and left the hose running for 8 hours (and a few other times I forgot for lesser periods of time). these came out the next year and I jumped on it. If I had had it the previous year, it would have paid for itself at least twice in 2022 if I had one available.

lol well my wife likes raspberry bushes and blackberries and added a tomato plant last year. This year she wanted three raised beds and a mixture of different vegetables. She’s never had a green thumb before meeting me and last year I got stuck manually watering everything daily by hand. I said “F that noise” and decided I wasn’t getting stuck with that job this year again. lol! I even added moisture soil sensors to notify her when it was time to water and she still ignored them.

I’m working on readjusting the spray nozzles to better make use of the water coming out. But this was my first test run.

So, what are you trying to water? The raised planting boxes (which look very nice!), or the whole neighborhood? :smile:

Try drip lines with emitters built-in (not soaker hoses) and lay the lines on the surface of the growing media. The emitters will be spaced from 6" to 12" inside the tubing. You can get wire loops or plastic stakes to hold the drip line in place as required.

Run 2 lines down the length of planting boxes, 1/3 the box-width or so in from each side. This should give even-enough watering of the growing media in the box - the water will "cone down and out" from the emitters.

The drip lines will keep the leaves dry (which helps with disease control) and conserve water.

Google "emitter drip lines" for some choices. You can pick these up locally at you favorite "big box" home maintenance store as well.

2 Likes