Question: What do you all think of SharpTools.io Privacy?

Hey guys and ladies. I’ve been tinkering with SharpTools, but when I read the site’s privacy practices, it sounds like using SharpTools brings back some of the privacy issues that led me to leave SmartThings in the first place. That said, I do like the SMS features.

Any thoughts on these issues? Would welcome your thoughts.

What specific "privacy issues" are you concerned about? Have you reached out to the SharpTools creator, @josh, and asked him about your concerns? Josh has always been very responsive to end-users.

4 Likes

There seem to be a lot of provisions in the privacy policy for sharing of data with Google and similar companies. I’d rather pay my way and have my privacy, versus being a product for companies like Facebook. Or Samsung for that matter :wink:

We don't share smart home data. Not sure which part you were referring to with Google. The only two parts of the Privacy Policy that mention Google (from what I remember and a quick review on my mobile) are if you use Google for a login source, then of course there's some basic login handshaking that has to happen there... and if you use Google Maps on the location page for setting your Geolocation (for sunset/sunrise times) then we get coordinates through the Google Maps API.

8 Likes

If you decide to use my coordinates please bring some beer.

2 Likes

Thanks so much Josh. The privacy policy is pretty broadly worded, so I put my tin foil hat on while reading it :wink:

1 Like

If you are using SharpTools (which is a great tool , in my own personal , humble opinion), only for sending SMS text messages, then you should consider the community alternatives.
Sendmail, SendGrid, there are many other alternatives for SMS text messages.
Myself, I use a RPI to send my sms text messages.

2 Likes

Hubitat natively supports Twilio for sending SMS Text messages, although it is not a free solution.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. Total newb here, so any and all advice welcome!

1 Like

@user1047

In addition to the built-in Twilio SMS integration, @ritchierich has created a Plivo integration. Plivo is slightly cheaper than Twilio, which is already pretty cheap

3 Likes

This is really great stuff. Thanks @ritchierich so much for all your hard work.

2 Likes

Sharptools is ace. Couldn't live without it.

3 Likes

This privacy policy?

It seems pretty specific re: how/what they share with google or Facebook, and it’s pretty much what Josh explained above.

Which parts were so concerning to you?

2 Likes

Use of the word “Google” LOL :smiling_imp:

1 Like