Proper Three-Way switch setup using Associations

@Stephan.J what driver did you use to get the SetAssociationGroup? Did you have to switch back to the Inovelli driver after?

I used the inovelli hubitat driver that you can find here:https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/hubitat-device-drivers

No I did not switch back, cause I used the inovelli driver to set the association.

I did this on a red series dimmer with this custom inovelli driver (made specifically for hubitat users) for the red series dimmer:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/master/Drivers/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

No luck with the Jasco toggle switches. I'd really like this three way switch arrangement to work. I too have no neutrals in one box. It's really slow pressing the physical switch. I've got a C7.

I am disappointed Hubitat does not have a built in app for this. So many people seem to want it. I used Z-Wave Tweaker for associations with Smartthings and it worked great, but it doesn't work in Hubitat. I have 10 virtual three-way situations in my home. Aeon Minimotes works but here is a delay between the satellite and the main.

Here is a log:

The driver I am using is [RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW4008 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver . It's for the switch, not dimmer.

Are you hitting configure on the driver? If so that might be the problem as many drivers reset the associations if you hit configure.

I'll give it a whirl.

Could the dimmer version be different than the relay switch? I was thinking of trying that.

You mean the drivers? Since I made them both, I doubt it. Although it is possible (very likely) that the in-box driver is significantly different than my user drivers.

On my drivers, if you hit CONFIGURE or SAVE PREFERENCES it will reset the associations. But if the GE device is the one being associated TO that doesn't matter - it can't erase associations in a different device.

Yes, your drivers.

I hit both configure and save pref a few times: no joy.

I think I'm confused at this point. Are you adding associations to the GE switch (aka you want to do something on the GE and have it change a different switch), or is the GE the one being manipulated by another switch?

Your log looks like you setup an association to device 108. Do you have a device 108?

When configuring the association are you entering the device nodeid as hexadecimal or decimal? Should be hex.

Yes. I want to add associate device 6C with 6D. 6D is physically tied to the load. 6C is not. I want the 6C/6D combo to act as a three-way switch. It's hideously slow with a rule. Both are GE toggle switches.

The z-wave reports seems to associate 108 with 6C:

I am putting in 6C, which is the DNI. I think it's hex.

Got it. That sounds right.

Since it shows up in the group association report, I have no idea why the other device isn't working. Weird.

It's not the C7, is it?

Doubt it. Once associations are setup the traffic doesn't even use/go through the hub. It is device to device, by definition.

But I will admit that I'm not an association expert. I know how they work, but I don't even use associations anymore.

I wouldn't either, but pressing the physical switch is SO slow. From the dashboard, fine.

Yeah, the physical switch doesn't report in for quite a while. I can see how that wouldn't be much fun.

If you don't care about the nice fading in/out you can adjust some settings and speed up the reporting, which would then speed up the hub side logic. But it will never be nearly as fast as a direct association.

I've got a toggle switch.

Oops, sorry.

Yeah, even with a switchj it takes about a second for physical on/off to report in since it is a scene controller device. It's true of many/any scene controller based device as it has to wait and see if you are doing a single tap or a double/triple tap.

I do think that GE might have made the "wait to see if it is single/double/or triple tap" a little long though.

None of that explains why the associations aren't working either. What kind of device is the load device? Another GE or something else? Shouldn't matter as association group 2 is usually the right one for what you are trying to do.

1 Like