Problem with my C4 hub

I'm not real concerned about this because eventually I'll replace the C4 hub with a C7 hub, but wanted to report in case it is something that could be a problem for other hubs. I transferred all my zigbee and zwave devices to two other hubs and set up Hub Mesh so all the rules, dashboard and http stuff is on the C4 hub. I've noticed that the automations slow down after a while and usually I reboot the C4 hub and all is well until next time, but I procrastinated this time and when I went to reboot because automations stopped, I got this:

I pulled the plug and everything is fine again.

Might be worth passing this report on to @bobbyD to cast his eye over, or @gopher.ny

1 Like

I had this exact issue with my C4 a couple of weeks ago. Though it might be unrelated, the only change to my setup was installing update 2.3.0.124 a week or so prior to the error. Like you, a power cycle cleared the issue.

This is the first time in 3+ years I've had the C4 that I've seen this error.

Thanks for your feedback. It is a known limitation of C4 hubs.

1 Like

I feel like I just pushed my C4 hub to the limit when I did the hub mesh...next time the C7 is on sale the C4 will be replaced! :smile: Hopefully it will be pretty easy, since the zigbee and zwave devices aren't on the C4 anymore.

2 Likes

The issue is showing the jvm needs its metadata space size increased.

Only HE can do this, but they could decide to do this in an update.

In the interim you can start to learn when it runs out and reboot on a shorter frequency.

I think there is little negative effect for them to do this on a C4.

Forgot to mention you may want to look at the hub information driver to help keep an eye on things:

1 Like

I had 3 C4s running and had to reboot them every 2 days because they would start to get really slow

2 of my C4s were like this, one runs LAN automations and the other was my “coordinator” for all hubs - I split up my hubs by interface years ago and have just kept it this way. Moving was simply restoring a backup but then in Hub Mesh you have to re-link the devices since they link by the hub’s ID which obviously is unique to each hub. Fortunately you can pull up each device and change this and things work again with no rule changes. I did have to reboot after changing all of mine over because commands from the meshed hub weren’t going to the primary. But reboot solved it.

Thanks for all the info everybody! I hadn't thought about moving over hub mesh devices to a new hub so now I will prepare. And I didn't know about that hub information driver, I'm going to go get that.

2 Likes