Pressure Mat Recommendations?

Couch, Bed. When in bed/on couch, restrict motion rule turnoff.
I know they're different sizes, but the small one, 901, gets more expensive quickly. Although the 630 is touted for outside use as well, I think the 901 would be more durable for that use. The 630 might be good enough, and cheap, but will it last?

I used one of those for a while under my doormat. Lasted about 6-7 months.

1 Like

The 901 would probably be good for that, but would it be big enough? The bigger ones are more expensive. But, if you need it, and they're the only game in town...

There's a seller on eBay with several 903's, (18x24), for 50 bucks plus shipping.

1 Like

Every single one of my lighter-duty ones kicked the bucket after a couple years. I’d probably opt for the more expensive one, knowing that the cheap ones are ... well, cheap! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

IRRC, @lewis.heidrick has one or two pressure sensors that he uses in his automations. He should have some good info (as usual!). :slight_smile:

@ogiewon as well. A whole project!

2 Likes

Apparently @bertabcd1234 may have thoughts on this:

2 Likes

I have 2 Withings sleep pads. They are excellent. Highly recommended. The sleep diagnostics are really good, and the integration from a community app here on the forum is also very good. They are a bit expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

1 Like

What do the WIthings mats do for you in terms of sleep diagnostics leading to better sleep?

I am unfortunately now on CPAP due to sleep apnea, so improving my sleep is a priority for me, given the mask can still cause issues sometimes.

Which product was @bertabcd1234 referring to in the review?

The SK630 linked in the first post.

1 Like

Yep! Mine is still working for me, and I'm coming up on two years since I bought it. But my couch only gets used once or twice a week, so I'm probably not a good tester for "heavy duty" use cases. It's pretty thin, and I'm not sure I'd trust outside, at least not where it gets as cold as it does where I live.

In related news, I'm glad that Gravatar I created like 10 years ago keeps following me everywhere... :laughing:

2 Likes

Perhaps I should get the heavier duty model.

1 Like

Curious if anyone here knows, how do the pads listed above compare to force sensing resistors like the one here? Is one of them suited for a better use case or are those resistors really just for Arduino like setups, versus the pads which use already built contact sensor inputs?

Things like this...

Yeah, I know. I need to get to bed earlier, stop browsing the Hubitat forum all night, and get up earlier and have a proper breakfast.

2 Likes

It looks like you'd have to have some skills to make them work.

The idea of little force sensors under the feet of a couch or bed where you could get a weight for the person or persons on it, and maybe an identity, is interesting.

Do what I do and browse the community on your phone in bed :grin:

Though I should not be doing this either, as I am also on a CPAP machine.....:frowning:

1 Like

That's what I meant. It's why my sleep hours are so poor lol

2 Likes

As @danabw mentioned above, Dan posted a project using the FSRs. It does require some tinkering and knowledge of Arduinos to setup, but it has been one of my wife and Is favorite automations.

3 Likes

I randomly found the same pad and your review sold me on it :joy:, I bought two, snipped the cords, and used Ecolink z-wave door sensors since those have easy screw-down contacts. My only issue is that I'm using them for bed occupancy and the weight of the mattress is enough to trigger them. I had to move them all the way up to the head of the mattress and they work pretty well that way. I wanted to keep things on z-wave (less moving parts) so this was perfect for me!