Power meter for AC/TV and control

Hi :blush:
I want to use power meter for both tv and ac for checking power consumption so I will know if the device is on or off, and also want to be able to control it (switch off).

1. Is it safe to use switch controller for tv and ac? Or it can damage it when turn off/on?

2. is aeotec switch with power meter is a good product for this porpuse? I want a real time power meter.
    Z-Wave Plus Aeotec Nano Switch On/Off Controller with Power Metering — Vesternet

3. any alternatives?

I think the answer to your first question would be: it depends on the devices themselves. I would think that most would be fine with power being cut, but I'm no expert.

Most would advise against a z-wave device for constant power reporting.

I have several of these plugs using this integration:

1 Like

However, cutting power to a wifi device can cause errors/issues with the Hubitat instantiation. I.E., if you use a wifi speaker for audio notification, cutting power to that speaker can mess up the message queue.

The key to this is understanding your devices behavior and what you are trying to do.

I use a Zen25 that has been carfully setup to minimize the amount of reporting. It doesn't turn the TV on or off, but does notify the hub if it does and then the hub triggers events from it. You may want to see if you can use a device that can turn the TV on and ofd via HDMI. Roku can do that part.

For the AC you need to consider load. Most likely it will need to be a heavier duty power monitoring device like a zen15.

Why do you need power monitoring for a AC unless you just need to know how much power it draws over a period of days?.