Power Circuit Monitoring for Power Loss

I agree, even if the sensor is near the hub it could be routed through a repeater that lost it’s power.

I used this to build a power loss detector from a water leak detector. It didn't always function right though- like if the power would flicker. Then it might never report power returned. It MOSTLY worked which was nice, but a Ring Range Extender is a much more elegant solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HLAOR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Yes I believe it will.

I actually have a QNAP NAS capable of running Node Red. My problem is I have not found a How to for dummies for setting it up.

The purpose for running on the Raspberry Pi is using the GPIO pin(s) to detect a open/close dry contact relay. My Pi sits at the power panel and triggers when the relay trips. The other nice thing about the Pi is you can do other things such as monitoring LAN connected devices, Internet connection, website connection. But I find it indispensable for power monitoring. Be it a 200ms flicker to an extended outage.

Ok, I'll bite. Are you willing to share the details? It would be a nice introduction the the Pi world for me.

There are several threads on this board that go into a huge amount of detail with step-by-step instructions. Just search keyword Node-RED and absorb the many things you can do.

To go into step-by-step detail here would not be appropriate but these threads should get you there;

1 Like

Will do

@ritchierich may be able to point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

If you have Container Station it’s very easy and a matter of creating a new container with the nodered/node-red:latest image. From there make sure to setup shared folders. First one below is where I have NodeRed automatically download the HE backups and drop them into a folder on my Qnap. Second data directory is where my flows are saved to a folder on my Qnap for backup purposes - I lost all my flows a few months ago and realized I had not been saving them to a common directory that I was backing up.

Was unable to connect the switch to a z-wave network on a Vera Plus controller. At every attempt to connect it wiped out the entire network. Now the red LED is on continuously and removing the battery and pressing the tamper switch won't even return it to a blinking led. Any ideas?

If anyone is considering building their own monitoring solution, there's a kit on sale now at The Smartest House, using our ZAC98 accessory relay and the Ecolink door sensor:

10 Likes

This has worked great for me. The price is right as well. ($15.00)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQ6SDKY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U3-nFbZNNB101

2 Likes

Does it act as a "general" Z-Wave repeater as well? Or is it only Ring capable?

I can't say for sure but I believe I remember reading on here somewhere that it does repeat, even when on battery

2 Likes

This is awesome thanks @agnes.zooz - We've had several power outages lately and I'm getting tired of waking up to a house full of bright lights :star_struck:

1 Like

@agnes.zooz, do you know what the time resolution on the device is? We get power flickers that are 0.5 to 1 second. Enough to turn the lights. I have tried other devices that take a full 3 seconds to report.

The relay opens as soon as there is no power, so that's pretty instant, definitely within a second. How fast the signal is sent from the Ecolink sensor to your hub will depend on the Z-Wave network strength and whether there are any communication issues on the way but again, HE is usually very fast so I wouldn't think it would take more than a second to get the update. I always recommend trying it out in your particular environment because it's challenging to predict the exact behavior of a wireless connected device.

I recently purchased one of these devices because it was cheap and seemed to work well for reporting a power outage. Using the HE hub's built-in driver, the device reports the following:
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.05.29 AM
So, the battery level is for the device's internal battery, and the powerSource attribute can be either "mains" or "battery". This attribute seems to be triggered instantly when I pull the device from the power outlet and vice-versa.

1 Like

Can you explain in more detail how to use this Ring device as a power detector? Do you just add it to the Zwave network and then look for the messages?

Here's the rule I use to monitor and react to a power outage:

I don't have my hub, Wifi router, or cable modem connected to a UPS, so this rule is somewhat meaningless now, but it does show how to monitor and react to the Ring Extender broadcasting a "changed" message.

Eventually, I plan to put my hub on a UPS and when this rule detect a power loss, it will issue a shutdown after 2 hours.