PoE and the C8 (with extensive testing)

I only really knew it when I had my c8 have so many issues. I had blamed devices for my c7 issues, but I think it was poe. Every Zwave device has been rock solid since I moved away from poe. :frowning: heck, my c5 might have had issues too, but that was a long time ago. Lol.

But, we’ll see how this new adapter works. Would love to move my hub back to center of house.

3 Likes

Are you saying that you want the hub to shut down in case of a power failure? If so, there are numerous ways that this can be accomplished - one of the more common being to have a Ring range extender and set up a rule that when it is running on battery for X minutes to shut down. The problem, of course, is having it turn back on when power is restored - not insurmountable by any means, but trickier than the shut down.

No, I'd like to shut it down when the network rack UPS is getting low (via the USB connection on the UPS).

Putting a power bank on the hub is just going to extend the time it runs, but won't shut the hub down gracefully when it runs dry.

I don't care so much about keep the hub running during a power failure as there's very little it could do anyhow if there's no power. Of course, extending the runtime will handle longer power outages before the hub does an uncontrolled power down. As a practical matter, maybe that's all that can be done.

FWIW, the Cisco unit I used for testing has a nominal power rating of 195 watts. During testing, the unit had 20 watts in use, leaving 175 watts of head room for the splitter under test. The peak power consumption of all the splitters tested was 2.6 watts, and most peaked below 2.5 watts. That's really a trivial load.

I cannot speak to everyone's configuration. However in my case, I am fairly confident in saying that available switch power was not a factor.

WTF...

:wink:

9 Likes

I looked but was never able to find a solution for that. I ended up getting a used SMT1500 with network card and @kahn-hubitat's driver to do what you want. Thread is here: APC SmartUPS Status Device

1 Like

:slight_smile:

This made me laugh. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thanks. I have a small Cyberpower rack mount unit, and the network card costs half again as much as the whole UPS did. Ugh. Not worth it.

If you are using NUT to monitor the UPS, then this may be of use:

smt1500 used ups on ebay with network card can be bought for around 200.. less if you get it without batteries and install them yourself..

You can definitely use the NUT driver to do this. You just need something to run the NUT server on. If you have an always on PC available in the rack, then that's easy enough. If not, you can always setup a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with it. I just set this up like two months ago. Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, power supply, SD card, micro USB OTG cable, and (optionally) a case. Hook the UPS USB to the OTG cable.

I have the UPS plugged into a USB port on my NAS, which is the most important thing in my rack as far as shutting down cleanly goes. Perhaps I could run NUT in a container on the NAS, but I sense a rabbit hole opening up here...

Amazon has this Amazon.com: VEEKTOMX Portable Charger 30000mAh Power Bank Fast Charging with PD&QC USB C, 4 USB Outputs Battery Pack Backup Compatible with iPhone 15/14/13 Pro iPad Android Samsung Galaxy Pixel Nexus LG, etc : Cell Phones & Accessories with a 40% coupon which brings it down to $24.

It's from the same company as the power pack @snell mentioned; hopefully it is always-on as well, and it's certainly going to be able to keep the hub powered for a lot longer than the rack's UPS will. Doesn't help with a clean shutdown, but the power seems pretty reliable here (so far).

What model NAS?

Synology DS918+

Apparently Synology has NUT baked in:

2 Likes

You are already running NUT on your NAS and do not need a container. Synology uses NUT to manage the UPS.

If you are running DSM 6, there is nothing you need to do to enable a remote client. If you are running DSM 7, you need to allow the remote client's IP address. To do this, go to
Control Panel -> Hardware & Power -> UPS -> Permitted DiskStation Devices
and add the IP address of your hub to the allowed access list.

Then install the NUT driver on your hub, and configure it like so:

UPS name: ups
NUT username: monuser
NUT password: secret

That should be all you need.

2 Likes

Wasn't aware of this myself - I have a DS220+ and just enabled it on the NAS, now installing your driver. For the two required fields below:

NUT server host = Synology NAS IP?
Nut server port = leave as default value you provided?

1 Like

Correct.

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Wow, that was too easy. Surely something horrible will happen to me later today to compensate...

Just had to add a traffic rule in my UDM-Pro, since the hubs are on my IOT network which can't normally see the NAS.

Thanks! Greatly appreciated.

3 Likes