Please tell me that a Shelly 1 can not be used here, so that my OCD monster leaves me alone. (I loves Hubitat!)

Good afternoon all. I really like Shelly products and have multiple on my Hubitat hub. I have a 3 way switch that I can not for the life of me get to work. I have set up a few Shellys with 3 way switches in the house (built 2007), but this wiring is different. I have spent about 4 hours total, between fiddling and researching. I've read that the "hot" and "load" should be in the same switch box, but mine are not.

This is what my wiring looks like:

Shelly 1:

Any help with this would be awesome. I need to stuff my OCD monster back in his hole and move on.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you trying to put the Shelly (which box)?

What have you tried so far (sketch on paper or something)?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! I have only tried putting it in the left box (from the posted image), as the right box doesn't have an always on line (hot). The right box only gets power over the travelers as normal 3 way switches.

I will get some sketches together. I originally thought that line and load where in the same box, but I was wrong. There is one 2/14 and one 3/14 in the right switch box. The 2/14 in the right box is load (connected to common) and the 3/14 travelers to the left switch box. There are two 2/14s and one 3/14 in the left box. The first 2/14 in the left box is line (hot), second 2/14 in the left box seems to go out to another switch and the 3/14 are the travels to the left switch box. In the left switch box, common connect to switch, and bundled to line and the other 2/14.

I tried this, but no go:

I don't think you have the wiring to do this with a Shelly. It probably didn't work in your image above because of the hot being on a different breaker/phase. And I don't think is is code to have two power sources for one light either, at least not how you are trying to do so. One breaker has to kill the whole circuit for safety.

Why a Shelly and not a Zwave switch like an Inovelli or Zooz? It would be much easier to wire in this instance.

I must have explained it incorrectly. ...sorry I am burnt out. I don't want 2 power sources in the same switch box. The last diagram came from a suggestion here:

If I buy one Inovelli or Zooz switch then I will have to fill the house with them. :grinning: One of the biggest reasons that I am using Shelly is to keep the "look" of the house as is.

The Shelly 1 cannot work here. Assuming you wish to keep the current 3-way function, when adding the automation you've essentially changed it to a 4-Way.....hmmmm.

So the Shelly 1 would need to provide a SPDT function where it only supplies a SPST function.

You MIGHT be able to us a Qubino Flush 2. You would have to make use of both channels and program them so when one goes off the other goes on and vice versa. Not sure if the Qubino can do this.

John

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into Qubino.

If you think the Qubino is viable repost your wiring diagram and we can go through how it could be wired before you purchase one.

BTW do you have enough box depth for the Qubino?

John

You can do this but not with a conventional 2way switch. The device would need to be in the right box and you would need two dumb push to make retractable switches.

3 Likes

There is enough for room the Shelly 1. I haven't had a chance to look up the Qubino's dimensions yet. I will let you know if I go that route.

Thanks for the post! Could you elaborate a little, please?

Not sure what they would look like over there (your switches are MASSIVE and fugly :crazy_face:) but over here they are sometimes called press switches.

Example

Example 2

It's a switch that doesn't latch and bounces back. Most smart modules that sit in the back of the switch are designed to work with them as standard. From the looks of it the Shelly is too. Basically you wire the switches in parallel and because they don't stay connected to the live each switch gives a pulsed live onto the input when pressed.

I have them everywhere in my place because they "look" like normal switches they just don't latch in place.

1 Like

Agree 100%

I ordered a Zooz Zen 23, that should be here on Sunday. If it doesn't work out. I can add it somewhere else. ....can never have enough home automation. I will report back.

I have seen it done, but have not personally done it. I di do it with an Aeotec micro, a similar z-wave controller
check this:

@Rxich Thanks for the link. I am going to wait for the Zooz zen23 to come in and try it. That means this one switch will be the only one in my whole house that is different. Who knows, I may end up liking the Zooz line so much that I change the rest of the house over. The bright side of that is I would have future projects. .....have to always look for a silver lining. :slight_smile:

@neonturbo I installed a Zooz zen23 and it is spectacular! Thanks for the advice. My wife even likes it, so we are going to slowly start replacing all the switches in the house. The fun now comes with which model/style Zooz. I can't wait!!

Thanks to everyone who provided information and advice.

2 Likes

Try the dimmers. They are so nice to have, you can make the lights dim at night, and brighter during the day. Really nice to night have blinding lights when using the bathroom at night, or hitting the fridge for a midnight snack!

2 Likes

Thanks! Dimmers will be first on the list then. I saw that there are different versions of their dimmers. ...time to do some research.

1 Like

Hi BorrisTheCat,
I found this old post here, and I am in the same situation, with a Shelly 1 and not having the Load and the Hot wire in the same box. So I am very interested in using 2 momentary switches as you had suggested. Would you happen to have an example of how this would be wired ? Or is it just using the existing wiring only the wires are placed differently on the switches ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Amine.