Please recommend up to 20 amp USA smart plug

This is going to be an odd one...

I need a smart plug that will handle 13 amps continuous, and up to 20 amps inrush current. And I would very much prefer it NOT be WiFi, but either Zigbee or Zwave.

One of my primary hobbies is woodworking. I want to be able to turn on my dust collector, a Harbor Freight 2HP, via Alexa or my phone. It is REALLY tough to reach around behind to where the switch is on this thing as it is kind of stashed behind my band saw and rolling tool cabinet.

maybe this one:

Leviton GFTA2-W 20 Amp Smartlock Pro GFCI

1 Like
2 Likes

How about a semi-smart one? I don't own this one but I have my vac plugged into a switch like this. When it senses power in the socket where tool is plugged, it powers the other socket where vacuum is plugged. I know, not so much fun. :grin:

https://www.amazon.com/Oskool-Automatic-Vacuum-Accessory-Automatically/dp/B08F7QD63C/ref=asc_df_B08F7QD63C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459579282194&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=699373521545168793&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027230&hvtargid=pla-946943203829&psc=1

2 Likes

The auto switches are fantastic, and I have one for my router table that kicks the shop vac on. But the dust collector is a much bigger unit, and more or less tied to everything else in the shop. Table saw, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, jointer...

That's a lot of switches to turn on one dust collector...

Get a 120V/30A relay with a 120V coil. Control the coil using the zigbee or zwave plug off your choice. Wire the load and line into the relay terminals. Like this cheap relay:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030G8SC8/

This is a safe and effective way of controlling an high amp load with a zigbee/zwave switch/outlet.

Or, you can also go with @erktrek’s suggestion.

3 Likes

I know how to wire a relay in 12v DC. How would this work in 125v AC? I think I need to talk to my electrician...

If you used a relay you would:

1. have a HE compatible Switch (module, receptacle, wall switch)
  2. Connect the output of 1) to the two coil tabs on the relay
  3. Connect the Com and NO tabs in series with your load.
  4. You will need a small box to put the relay in. You can find some small boxes at HD in the electrical section near the conduit.
1 Like

This is a 240 volt switch. Can it be used as a 120 volt switch?

Yes
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Smart-Switch-ZW078--Aeotec/dp/B0151YXM2W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1466603398&sr=8-1&keywords=heavy+duty+smart+switch+aeotec&linkCode=sl1&tag=sso0e-20&linkId=69dc4b2212559680e4959dd50b3d1cb4

1 Like

This relay has a 120 volt AC coil (the electromagnet that pulls the switch contacts together)
The contacts here can handle up to 2 horsepower motors... or up to 30 Amps of restive loads.
Although this is best for 120 volt motors, it will turn on/off 240 volt motors too.
But... you would only be breaking one of the Hot wires in a 240 volt ac circuit, which works, but it is safer to break BOTH hot wires to a switched device.
If interested, ask me for a link to the relay I use on my ranch to control my 240 volt 2 HP motors. They are over-engineered, switch BOTH hot wires, and will last forever with a 2 HP load. They cost under $20.

1 Like

Here's a $150 Wi-Fi version :nauseated_face: easy enough to go DIY with ZigBee/Z-wave:

Zooz Zen16 Multirelay has two 15A and one 20A relays.
It has a sample wire diagram for use with pool pump.

It looks like the Zen16 might be what I am looking for. I am not 100% sure though. Studying the wiring diagram.

Get the Zen17 instead. It has two NO 20A relays, and one NC 10A relay. And has a 700 series z-wave chip.

1 Like

There are only 2 Relays on Zen17. I think specification means 20A when used as NO relay and 10A when used as NC relay, even though I don't quite understand why the difference.

And I just noticed the price is even lower than when I bought it at $24.95 and was $28.95 just a few days ago.

2 Likes

IMHO
I would check with Zooz before committing to the Zen17 (or Zen16). Assuming 120Vac mains, at 2HP you are near the max of this relay. and I'll guess the startup current exceeds 20A.

Unknown is the amount of safety margin in the Zen17. Being an end product there may not be a lot of margin. If your hobby is like mine (operating multiple times a day) I would be worried about longevity.

2 Likes

Most household have at most 20A breaker for outlets. If it exceeds 20A, shouldn't many users have reported the issues already?

2 Likes

Yup - that’s correct. Just checked the manual.

1 Like

I understand this is for a 2 hp dust collector. Are you sure the circuit breaker serving this motor is 120 volt...If so it would be a single pole circuit breaker similar to most all the other lighting circuits in the panel. It is possible for this size motor that the voltage is 240 volt with a 2 pole circuit breaker.

If it is 120 volt 2hp the motor nameplate may say 20 FLA (full load amps), but the inrush current on start up could exceed 20 amps. I would also confirm that there is no other connected load on this circuit.

I would also check the motor nameplate to be sure,...

1 Like