Please help with Kwikset 888

Delete

Wishes I would of read this before I purchased. Paired but can’t operate it. Can’t retrieve codes. I could of paid only $50.00 to get a dumb keypad lock.

Hmm.. I have a Kwikset 888 and it is paired with Hubitat. I can control is from Hubitat and also change/add/delete codes.

It looks like your lock is not paired "securely" and while it will show up, you will not be able to operate it from Hubitat. It took me a couple of tries to get it to pair properly but it works well. A couple of things that I had to do:

• Put in a Z-Wave repeater between the hub and the lock (it was about 30 ft away)

• Bring the hub really close to the lock to pair it (it was literally sitting on top of the lock). I got a long ethernet cord and used a USB charger to power the hub.

• Give it a little bit of time once the lock shows up in Hubitat. Don't hit "save" right away - I gave it about 2-3 minutes once the lock showed as "paired" in Hubitat.

Once it pairs securely, you should be able to operate it from Hubitat.

2 Likes

Correct, their lock is not paired correctly/fully.

I tried that but it still won’t pair securely.

It took me a while to get it to pair. Not sure what else to tell you - it finally did pair for me and it does work. There is also a thread that talks about switching out the Z-Wave controller in the lock for a Zigbee controller but not sure that is worth it.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/kiwkset-lock-zwave-to-zigbee-conversion/9137/20

1 Like

Third time is a charm. I waited over 10 minutes before saving and it paired securely.

4 Likes

:+1:t3: :+1:t3:

1 Like

Amazingly my Kwikset 910's with a zwave card has never given me a problem in 5 years I have used them.

3 Likes

I think that the reason that the hub has to be close to the lock, and the reason that it takes so long is the same reason. I think this is because there is a lot on data being passed (keys) between the hub and the lock, and it just takes a long time to do that.

1 Like

I know it doesn't help to hear but I also have had no trouble with my kwikset zwave or schlage zwave locks. I believe the issues people have go beyond just the lock. Just my opinion though.

Honestly I think it's bad mesh's that causes locks so many issues. I paired mine the old fashion way that ST always had recommended.. pair the lock next to the hub and after its paired give it a extra 15-30 minutes to firmly link up then put it where you need it at making sure you built your mesh correctly first.

Make sure you have zigbee/zwave repeaters already paired to hub first and the mesh is stable then add the locks because they will depend on those repeaters if to far from the hub.

This has always worked for me.

1 Like

Locks always take more time and care to pair up -- they are the first defense to access the house and because they also pair with security which does take a lot longer to complete.

1 Like

I have 3 Kwikset 888's in my house and they all perform as expected; paired quickly and respond and report properly every time. Of course, they are each next to a Zooz or GE Zwave switch (operating the outside light for the doorway) so that may help. I did notice that they are susceptible to "chatter" interference from other devices; one of my locks was refusing to report that it had been locked (manually or digitally) reliably. It turns out that a door sensor I had on an outside gate was not aligned properly and the wind was causing it's status to flap, messing up other Zwave signals. In that same vein, if you have a Zwave door/window switch on the same door and lock the door right after closing it, there may be a collision with the signals from the door switch and the lock.

So, I have read several mentions of using SECURE Zwave repeaters to set up the locks. I have been using these locks for well over a year on ST and the only repeaters I have between the locks and the hub are the Iris 3210-L2's. (They do not appear to be "securely" paired - Screenshot from Z Wave details below)
I have finally gotten them to show up and appear to be working. Before I migrate my locks, am I going to need to get some different repeaters?

You may just have to try it and see.

Are you using the new C7?
Because that has a much greater range than the C5 - so, you may not need a repeater.

Well, I hate to sound so wishy washy, but I'm sorry that I can't give you a definitive answer.
You should be OK, but if not, have a Aeotec repeater nearby for backup purposes.
Most likely, you will not have to use it, but, you can never tell...

Yes, I am using the C7. I am trying to take my time and bring things over in an orderly manner.
I have had zero issues with my locks on ST. However, I am checking the forum for issues on every device I migrate to try and prevent issues. House has a small footprint but is three stories. Farthest distance from hub to any part of house is probably 30 feet. (Albeit there are some walls)

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in in case the google machine brings other searchers here.

I have this same lock, the Kwikset 888, that was forcibly installed in my house with a Vivint system that I stupidly purchased 12 months ago. We've since gotten out from under that and am trying to migrate all of their "smart home" stuff to hubitat. Needless to say, the overwhelming majority of their equipment is 100% useless to me now. The z-wave stuff I thought would work though. The garage door opener paired without an issue, so I figured the z-wave lock would as well.

Nope nope nope, and nope. I've factory reset that thing who knows how many times, did z-wave repairs, soft reset the hub, paired it close, paired it far, in the door, out of the door, alkaline batteries, lithium batteries, I've done it all. I can get it to pair securely, but that's it. No states, no actions, nothing. Similar to the opening post, mine seems to be missing clusters, and thus missing actions. After reading this and trying every pairing method under the sun, I've determined that it isn't so much Vivint's fault (shockingly) but that these just seem like shyte.

TL;DR - Future reader, if you have this, return it or sell it. If you're considering this, don't. If you're about to embark on a multi-hour quest to get this paired, unless you're bound and determined to accomplish your mission, just abandon it now. Save yourself the time, I'm sure there's better locks out there.

I guess you can't get a zigbee module for that lock either.. :frowning_face: