Please Be Wary Here

Some devices on my network (including my Hubitat) were just hacked by someone (probably an individual running multiple accounts) who targeted a post of mine.

Apparently, the reason involved the fact that I would not divulge specifics about my network in response to a request for some general help. Then, when he/she became pushy about it, I politely requested it to take a hike. Next, it would seem that it decided to teach me a little lesson by attacking my network after taking control of the thread through the misuse of violation flags.

This place is not safe.

What did you post that allowed someone to take control?

1 Like

if you haven't, let @bobbyD @Hubitat_Staff know and work with them through DMs to help get the bad actor out of here

1 Like

wait... is your home network attacked or just your post got flagged? They are totally not related.

5 Likes

i'm curious about this too. how does a home network get hacked from a thread?

5 Likes

To get in through your endpoint an attacker still needs to know your public IP. With all your info hidden how do you suppose they did that?

The thread mentioned in the first post is this one... It involved a general question about how to search the site for info about "presets (for lights) / presets of cloud based ecosystems", which isn't very specific.

When myself and some other posters asked for more specific info about what they were really seeking, things very suddenly went way off the rails.

I'm pretty sure neither me, thebearmay, JB10 or Robert did any retaliatory hacking in response, but y'all are welcome to draw your own conclusions.

7 Likes

This does seem unlikely. If you didn't share any info w/them, then in general they would not be able to hack your network any more than some random stranger/hacker could. So not sure how you are sure the hacker came from here. If you have any evidence of that you should share it w/@bobbyD ASAP.

2 Likes

:notes: who let the hackers out, who! who! who! who! :notes:

2 Likes

Shouldn't it be who let the hackers IN?

2 Likes

Sounds like fake news.

3 Likes

well was thinking more of who released the hounds :rofl:

2 Likes

No one other than administrators can take over threads in an effort to resolve posts that have been flagged. I can asure you that no one "took over" your earlier thread. If you have any doubts who the administartors are, you can check the users here: https://community.hubitat.com/g/admins

As for hacking your network, not even Hubitat community admins can link your hub to your community account, so chances that you've been attacked for something you may have said, here, are simply none.

If you have any reasons to believe that someone is out trying to harm you, please send me more details at my personal email address and we will engage the appropriate authorities to help you resolve the problem. My email is Bobby@hubitat.com.

22 Likes