Please add the ability to change tile labels

I know we can do this with CSS but...

1. its not supported in all browsers and platforms
  2. once you change Dashboard your CSS has to also be changed and
  3. it's a pain in the a$$.

Having the ability to change a tiles label should be one of the core features, not a nice to have.

Thanks, Glenn

9 Likes

+1 from me.

With hundreds of devices, I must label things like “Lamp, Bedroom” which often too many letters to fit cleanly on a dashboard. Naming things like “Bedroom Lamp” solves nothing.

I like the HomeKit approach of removing the room name if it appears at the beginning of the name. Ie “Bedroom Lamp” appears in the room called Bedroom as simply “Lamp”, but anywhere else it’s listed by its full name.

2 Likes

+1

In addition, I would love to know what features improvements are coming on the dashboard in general. Now that Patrick has moved on it seems to be dead from an externally facing feature improvement standpoint.

1 Like

I do the same thing, Family Room Light, Family Room Table Lamp, Family Room Floor Lamp, Family Room Ceiling Fan, Master Bedroom Light....

Each needs to have a unique name of you want to use voice control.

At least give us the option to either use the Device Name or the Device Label.

1 Like

Then there's the case where a combination device such as a Qubino dual relay and temp probe module are used. I have one installed in my crawlspace to cut the power to my doorbell transformer to work around an intermittent lock up issue with my video doorbell. The module is named "Doorbell Power Relay Module". But I'm also using the temp probe capability to monitor crawlspace temps to automate turning water pipe heat tape on and off. Not surprisingly, my dashboard tile has a label that makes ZERO sense and conveys nothing about its purpose:

Capture

This has been asked for sooooo many times it's a bit frustrating that nothing's been done about it.

1 Like

Amen. Need more text options. Text options in Dashboards

1 Like

I was thinking it... You said it. Someone had to. I hope they have a plan..

+1
I miss actiontiles and I don't want to use ST

1 Like

Agreed. Wish I could take the best of Actiontiles and SharpTools and put them together.

4 Likes

Oh I am disappointed we're not able to specify the text. I tried changing the template to Text after specifying the device, thinking it would operate anyway if I tapped it, but then it wouldn't operate as a switch any more.

You can do it via CSS. Change the tile # to the tile you are targeting.

.tile-title::after {
    visibility: visible;
    position: absolute;
    text-align: center;
    left: inherit;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    white-space: pre-wrap;
}

#tile-2 .tile-title { visibility  : hidden !important;}

#tile-2 .tile-title:after { content: 'PUT NEW NAME HERE' !important; }

Read the full post by @markus for more details

You can also do this via smartly.

5 Likes

Ah thanks, that's sorted it :smiley:

1 Like

That was helpful. Now may you please, please explain to me how to change the Tile "Date-Clock' to get the font size bigger. On a standard 10" wall tablet, its too small. In actionTiles it was pretty decent.

Thanks!

I suck at CSS ... any way to move the custom title to the top of the tile rather than the bottom?

adjust the 'bottom 140' value as need to move it. change tile # to the one your targeting.

.tile-title::after {
    visibility: visible;
    position: absolute;
    text-align: center;
    left: inherit;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    white-space: pre-wrap;
}

#tile-0 .tile-title { 
   visibility : hidden !important;
   bottom : 140px !important;
}

#tile-0 .tile-title:after { 
  content: 'PUT NEW NAME HERE' !important; 
}
3 Likes

Another year passes, and seems we still don't have a ready (non-coding) approach to changing the label text on dashboard Tiles. Has someone introduced a n00b-friendly GUI method since we last visited this topic?

2 Likes

To amend my earlier statement, it appears that TEXT tiles only permit midline, centered placement of the label. So overlapping them with other active tiles in a vain attempt to introduce custom labels, results in ugliness (e.g. text placed directly over centered icon). Furthermore, to my astonishment, no matter which of two tiles (Device vs Text) you place first in a given grid position, the Text tile (perhaps because it was created later?) always seems to live in the foreground, rendering the underlying Device tile un-clickable.

This situation just begs for:

• A non-CSS way to control text alignment within a Text tile;
  • And, a readily accessible means of setting z-depth for (overlapping) tiles;

I don't think things like that are "asking too much" although admittedly low-priority.

I cannot get this to work!!

#tile-0 .tile-title {
visibility: hidden;
}
#tile-0 .tile-title:after {
content: 'LĂĄs nere';
}
#tile-1 .tile-title {
visibility: hidden;
}
#tile-1 .tile-title:after {
content: 'Dörr nere';