Phone not listed on second hub?

So I have a hub at my house and am installing one at my shop. The hub is registered etc. I have two contact sensors set up. I installed rule machine and notifications. For the life of me though my phone isnā€™t showing up as a device. I canā€™t figure out how to add it.

Think of this like one of those moments where you just can't remember something you did by memory or instruction....

Now if you could remember those instructions that would be great..... :wink: Does the app not guide you through that? Or Dan...?

1 Like

Personally, I use Pushover on all of my Hubitat hubs and phones/tablets. This allows push notifications with an amazing amount of flexibility and enhanced capabilities.

I believe Hubitat's Mobile Phone App is pretty much designed to be connected to one Hubitat hub at a time, not multiple HE hubs. Perhaps this has changed over the past few years. If so, hopefully others will join in to help explain it better.

3 Likes

To extend @ogiewon 's point, I have recently added @bertabcd1234 's notification proxy to my setup do it doesn't matter which hub I am connected to, I "always" receive a notification.

1 Like

This was my experience, 1 hub at a time, although I can switch hubs within the app.
I was wondering, could we use hub mesh to "share" the mobile device on the other hub?

If you use the proxy device driver when configuring notifications you will get communications at each device regardless of the hub they are connected to.

Possibly... Depends on the details of the following...

Same VLAN or two completely different locations and networks? If the same VLAN, then Hub Mesh will work.

2 Likes

If you can get to both hubs under the same log-in and on the HE phone app then the phone mobile device should show up on each hub automatically.

But if you send a notification via the hub you are not currently connected to, you will not receive the notification on the mobile device.

E.g. if you have a mobile phone and two HE hubs, if the mobile phone is connected to HE hub A and you send a notification to hub B, you will not receive the notification on the mobile phone, using the built-in features as far as I am aware....

Thatā€™s kinda weird the you can only use the phone on one device per default. But that would explain it. Iā€™m guessing the geofence only works on one hub also.

Right because each hub basically uses it's own cloud instance (for the oauth) and for the app to see that it has to be logged into that instance. Now Pushover (I mean you can't beat a one time $5.00 fee) uses the same instance regardless of the device. So you can have pushover on a 100 devices and they get pushed to the instance that your phone is logged into. It also allows you to change notification tones based on priority as well as feed web links to open into the message.

2 Likes

So I canā€™t even see my phone as a device on the second hub. I canā€™t assign anything to it from the second hub. Will Passover suddenly populate it for me?

i have a cloned app with a different id i use on the 2nd hub.. i only have a android version if you are interested.

What you are asking for works natively. I have 3 hubs over at 2 different locations. Each hub has RM notifications that send to my Iphone no problem because the same phone shows up as a mobile device on each hub. You need to open the hub on the phone app and the device will populate. I didnt do anything other then that and it works.
That phone app is not that friendly but this can be done. Geofence is a separate issue :rofl:

Iā€™m on iPhone. I just donā€™t know why this would be so complicated. I just want both hubs to send notifications to one phone. I shouldnā€™t have to jump through hoops. I have a second number on the iPhone itā€™s a work number but thereā€™s no where to even enter it as a device. I shouldnā€™t have to have two accounts. I mean seriously donā€™t need a new version of a hub I just need to know if someoneā€™s breaking into my shop. Thereā€™s two contact sensors. A tilt sensor and a zen relay. Sorry just venting.

Well thatā€™s what I thought. Iā€™ll try to add it again tomorrow. Otherwise Iā€™ll just reset the hub and start over. Maybe itā€™s Just a hiccup. Thanks for your help.

On phone app, go to settings, then all the way down, select hub. All your registered hubs on the same account should show up. Select the hub you want to add mobile device to.

that doesnt work.. you will get notifications from one or the other.. the app on your phone can only be associated with one. hub .. yes you can move it between hubs but it will only get notified from one at a time.

If we re trying to look at the notifications on the phone app then maybe yes, but my phone gets push notifications with the app closed from all hubs. My single phone shows up as a device on all my hubs.

So does mine but i only get push notifications from the last hub i connected to.