Phillips Hue Motion Sensor Only Seems to Report Lux When Motion is Active

Quick question: How do you remove and re-add?
I'm a zigbee newbie and the manual is in very tiny font, if it indeed has anything about it.
There's a setup button on the back I've been pushing with a paperclip after removing and then discovering, but nothing happens.
Have to look on line for directions.

Have the Hue bridge for lights is a good idea. Keeps the repeating Zigbee bulbs off your hub so they donโ€™t screw up other Zigbee devices. Plus there are a lot of cool third party apps for the Hue bridge. Just donโ€™t use the Hue app for control. Their API updates HE too slowly, but HE direct control is instant

1 Like

if you looked at the thread i posted the lastest for outdoor assuming that is what you have is
Software version: 6.1.1.2757

1 Like

I found it. Push in paperclip for ten seconds until led flashes. Then pair.

here is my outdoor hue dev:2572020-12-15 10:59:37.002 pm infofingerprint profileId:"0104", endpointId:"02", inClusters:"0000,0001,0003,0406,0400,0402", outClusters:"0019", model:"SML002", manufacturer:"Philips"

dev:2572020-12-15 10:59:36.493 pm traceZCL version:01

dev:2572020-12-15 10:59:36.490 pm traceSoftware Build Id:6.1.1.27575

dev:2572020-12-15 10:59:36.488 pm traceModel:SML002

dev:2572020-12-15 10:59:36.485 pm traceManufacturer:Philips

1 Like

I do have the indoor version, but all I saw was March 2019.

The shelf at HD was empty the day before. Geez.

says the indoor should have the same firmware i have.. same issue on this page

Accessories | Philips Hue (philips-hue.com)

1 Like

Now that I think about it, Christmas historically is the time retailers try to unload their old stuff.

Is that all there's to it? Just join onto Hue and firmware gets updated automatically?

you go into the hue app on your phone and system and it will check firmware and tell you what needs updating and it takes a while but it will do it.

1 Like

Okie dokie.

The sensor cost more than the hub.

It does actually seem to revise the lux after a refresh.

Thanks guys.

Did you wait and see if the Hue would update lux values after a given time? I read that Hue only automatically reports lux values every 5 minutes (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm pretty sure I did the same song and dance as you testing out my new sensor (flash a light into it and wave the arm for motion). I've also found hitting the refresh button in the sensor's device page gets it to change right away.

Otherwise I'm using it successfully as the lux sensor for the Eternal Sunshine app! The app automatically controls a set of lights based on the value from a illuminance sensor. I've been using the values from my living room motion sensor to drive the dimming values of my office lights (perfect for working from home and partly cloudy weather that keeps dimming and brightening through out the day)!

So, you're using the lux values from the Hue as it reports changes greater than specified every 5 minutes?

Yep! It's deprecated my Office Sunset Lights automation. I used to have a Rule Machine automation that would turn my light on to the dimmest 1 hour before sunset and then ramp up to full brightness over an hour.

Now my living room Hue sensor automatically picks up the changes in brightness and raises my office lights automatically!

FWIW, I don't know how many of these you have, or how Eternal Sunshine works, but I use 3 Hue Outdoor sensors and average the Lux I get back. This addresses the orientation of my house and brightness at the front & back (I have an open plan house, so light from the front and back of the house affects a lot of my rooms).

I then set a GV with a Lux Value that I use in my illuminance rules, and then in rules that use illuminance compare the average lux value to the GV. This lets me change my on/off lux level throughout the house by changing the GV in one place.

The averaging also handles the occasional passing cloud/wierd Hue Illuminance Value that pops up.

S.

1 Like

Sounds cool. I only have the 1 indoor Hue motion sensor in my living room. :sweat_smile:

Eternal Sunshine works based off of a log function to control your lights. You can either just use a simple mode to just change one number/parameter. Or you can use the advanced mode to really fine tune the graph to your specific needs, which is what I did. :slight_smile:

I've done some testing and found when I had the lux reporting to change on 1 lux change it wasn't changing every 5 minutes (it'd seem to take much longer). Sometimes I'd find myself manually refreshing the sensor to get the latest lux.

However when I changed to use the log 10 reporting, it consistently changes every 5 minutes!

You can read more here on how the log10 reporting works.

1 Like