Phillips Hue Motion Sensor Gen 2 Compatability?

I have several Hue Motion Sensors Gen 1 and they work well using the Hue motion sensor driver in Hubitat. I understand Phillips has upgraded the sensors a few months ago to Gen 2 with increased motion sensitivity and five levels of sensitivity in the Hue app vs only 3 for Gen 2 devices. I also understand that the two generations are treated differently in the Hue app and that the new device is not yet compatible with Hue Labs software. Thus, I wonder whether it works with the current Hubitat driver.

Is anyone using the Gen 2 motion sensors? Are they fully compatible with the existing driver? Do the new generation devices report motion, illumination, temperature, and battery life with the current driver.

I know the current driver only allows three levels of sensitivity rather than five, but I do not know if that really matters. I have also heard that the temperature calibration of the newer generation might not be accurate. The Gen 1 devices seem to be reasonably accurate. I am even using one to check the temperature in my freezer.

Any feedback and comments would be appreciated. If the new Hue motion sensors do not work well with Hubitat, I will look for an alternative.

1 Like

huh?

The existing driver should work fine with the newer devices, if not let me know...

1 Like

Thanks.

My device driver only shows three levels of sensitivity, but that is with the Gen 1 device. I guess it does show five levels with the Gen 2 devices. That is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

the indoor motion has 3 levels the outdoor 5, the driver looks at the model number to determine how many options to display.
I don't know what the model number of the gen 2 indoor motion is.

1 Like

Looks like SML003:

Just tacking on here, nearest I can tell the current driver does not work with the new sensors. My SML001's work fine, but I bought an SML003 recently that does not. It joins up fine but never reports in anything afterwards. I actually filed a claim with Philips for warranty and they sent me a new one, it does the exact same thing.

I have one arriving this afternoon. I hope I can get it to work directly with Hubitat. If not we will need to see what the developers can do. Since the old ones are discontinued, people will be purchasing the new ones and exoecting them to work.

where are you getting the gen 2 devices from, I'll order one, but don't need any of the older models in the sales channel...

I found mine at Lowes. The way to tell them apart is the Gen 1's say "Philips" only on top, and the Gen 2's say "Philips Hue". Also the activation button on the back is an actual sticks out button, as opposed to the paper clip kind on the Gen 1.

2 Likes

It says “New Version”

1 Like

ordered...

5 Likes

Thanks Mike

I will give you feedback on my experience when mine arrives later this afternoon.

1 Like

My Hue Motions Sensor Gen 2 just arrived a few minutes ago.

It paired easily with the hub.

Here are the parameters:
ID: 79F3
Manufacturer: Signify Netherlands B.V.
Product Name:
Model Number: SML003
deviceTypeId: 398
manufacturer : Signify Netherlands B.V.
idAsInt : 2
inClusters : 0000,0001,0003,0406,0400,0402
endpointId : 02
profileId : 0104
application : 02
outClusters : 0019,0000,0003,0006
initialized : true
model : SML003
stage : 4

Using the built-in motion sensor driver, motion detection and illumination seem to work properly. However, rather than 5 levels of sensitivity which the sensor is supposed to support, the driver only shows three.

It will be a while before I know if battery sensing is working. It shows 100% as it should with new batteries.

The temperature sensor is very sluggish to respond to temperature changes, but I think it is working properly. It is close to the reading of another sensor in the same room.

1 Like

So it reports action past the initial pairing? Both of mine just show active all the time, and no log entries past the initial burst when connecting.

Mine seems to work normally with the Hue motion sensor driver. I have not tried the outdoor sensor driver.

There is only one driver used for the both the indoor and outdoor sensors. The driver looks at the model to determine the number of motion sensitivities to offer.
If the device blinks on motion active it is out if range of the hub...

Well I don't get it, mine wasn't flashing at all, and I joined and kept it within 10 feet of my hub. However to be thorough I removed and factory reset again and this time literally set it on top of my HE and now it seems to be working fine. I'll try moving it tomorrow once it's had time to settle, if not then I guess that's $40 down the tube if it has to be that close to work.

Mike has ordered one so if there are any differences that impact the sensor on HE he'll be able to figure it out.

All radio devices should be paired in place. If you cant pair in place good chance it wont work in place...

2 Likes

I know, that's what I did in the first place, 10 feet away was in place, and I have two repeaters in as well. I have 2 other devices in the same room, and other zigbee devices way further away than that, all without issue.

*Edit - Again the issue is not getting it to pair, that occurs just fine. The issue is that once it's paired (when done in place) it doesn't report anything past the initial pairing state. No flashing, and nothing in the log. Also this is the second one of these after Philips sent me a new one doing the exact same thing.