Philips WIZ Bulbs

Of course not, that's why I noted...

1 Like

Yes...but in this case you're talking two clouds. In my experience, doubling the clouds is not a linear increase in your failure rate, it's exponential. I think once you get to 4 clouds it's an asymptote approaching 100% failure. :wink: (gotta love a good math joke)

My experience is google cloud is pretty reliable. Amazon AVS cloud is getting much more reliable too. Not 100% of course, that doesn't exist, but better than everything else out there that I've experienced. Philips...Yes you've got a very valid point there. That's been one of the lesser reliable cloud services in my experience.

1 Like

Do you not use Hubitat's Hue Bridge integration? I had Tradfri color bulbs on my Hue Bridge for a while (I got rid of them because the bulbs themselves are slow--even if they're directly paired to an Ikea ZLL control device), and it worked like any RGB bulb (and unfortuntely that was also RGB and not RGBW because the bulbs do not advertise "W" even though they are capable of it it, but you have to guess the right "colors" on Hue). In any case, that would at least keep them local.

I'd be curious if anyone has reverse-engineered WiZ bulbs' communication--it's at least promising that they don't need the Internet for in-app function, unless that review was wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

The integration with ST and the hue hub are cloud integrations. They do not operate locally.

1 Like

You cannot control the color of the Trådfri bulbs from the HE to the Hue Integration for the same reason XY CIE instead of RGB.

The SmartThings Hue Bridge integration is local (by ST standards) as of sometime within the last year or so. It always was in some sense--it never used Philips' cloud (only ST's like most DTHs and apps)--but the DTHs are now baked into the hub firmware for Bridge bulbs so local automations using them will remain eligible for offline execution. (I like Hubitat's definition of "local" better. :slight_smile: )

Apparently I never used HE to control color. I never noticed this (though I swear I would have tried at some point...). Good to know--thanks!

But if the ikea bulbs are paired to the hue hub HE can control the color...right?

No....i'm saying the the Wiz to ST and the Wiz to Hue are both cloud to cloud. Not the ST to Hue.

I was not aware that this existed, but I guess cloud-only wouldn't be surprising for anything WiZ. :slight_smile:

With Google Assistant Relay yes. It is cloud based because you have to obviously go from Google's cloud to Philip's cloud, but by calling out the color name, it can be done. It do it on my own system.

That was what the OP posted....but it looks like he corrected it.

What? No, I'm talking about the Ikea bulbs connect to Phillips Hue Bridge and then to Hubitat. You have complete color control over those within Hubitat, correct? The post you linked to was referring to pairing the Ikea lights directly to Hubitat, not through the hue bridge.

Nope. Neither is possible. If you read my post just above that one and then @mike.maxwell 's answer it should be clearer. HE cannot control the color of Trådfri bulbs either via direct pairing or via the Hue Integration. Both drivers do not support the CIE XY colorspace and that's what their bulbs need.

Philips does an on-the-fly conversion to CIE XY color space in order to control them, but that for whatever reason is not passed through to the API. Probably something to do with Philips reluctant support for third-party bulbs.

But the driver doesn't have to with the Hue integration. The hue hub does that. Your question was about using the hue driver for the connection to Hubitat. Not about controlling through the hue hub. If you can control the RBG in the hue app, then Hue has the correct driver. How the hub gets those commands wouldn't matter, whether from the hue app or from HE.

If its possible in the Hue app and other hue integrations, it is possible in HE's hue integration as well. I don't understand why it wouldn't be the case. It's not like apps like Hue Essentials talk to the hub any different than HE does.

It appears the limits are coming from Hue, not from HE or the bulbs.

So, Hue is locking those changes out.

It doesn't work. My question to Mike was about the possibility of updating the Hue Integration driver so it could control the Trådfri color bulbs when they are paired to the Hue Bridge by using the Hue Integration driver for HE. His answer was that is it the same issue as if they were paired directly to HE.

Like is just posted...it appears that Hue is locking that out from control outside of the Hue architecture.
image So, if hue doesn't allow color commands to be received, then there's nothing to be done about the hue integration.

The issue with pairing directly to Hubitat is similar but not exactly the same. In order to develop a driver to control directly paired to Hubitat you'd have to translate the HSV value that hubitat uses for color control into xy which the bulb uses. That isn't very easy to do programmatically from what I understand.

The difference between "ColorLight" and "Extended ColorLight" is actually a limitation of Ikea's implementation. These are basically the Zigbee terms for "RGB" vs "RGBW," and Ikea's bulbs don't implement the color temperature clusters (or at least don't report that they do) and as such are identified as "ColorLight." The first-generation Hue Lightstrip is also a "ColorLight," though in that case it's because it is bad at whites; Ikea's is probably just failure on the part of the toddler who designed their firmware since the bulbs themselves can really do this if you figure out the right "color" (as Ikea's smart home app--which lets you choose whites--must do for you behind the scenes).

That would not make a difference. Hubitat has drivers for RGB and RGBW hue bulbs.

I'm talking about as integrated through the Bridge. Maybe you are too; regardless, switching the driver won't help if Hue (or the bulb) won't accept the commands beacuse the bulb doesn't implement them. (Still not sure why the Hue API would behave differently for color with these, though, since that's the part both do claim to implement. EDIT: I am now sure, as the Hue API allows either "hs", "xy", or "ct" for color mode, and Ikea implements only "xy" while Hubitat does only "ct", if supported, and "hs"--so not here. I think the Ikea bulbs are unusual but I'm not sure it's a requirement to support both, which Hue bulbs do. In any case, the takeaway is that Hue's API does not abstract this detail away from anyone. Neither the Hue Bridge bulb nor Generic Zigbee light drivers support xy.)