Philips WIZ Bulbs

Anyone seen these bulbs? They appear to be WIFI but I wonder if they could eventually be controlled by HE. At $15 for a color and white bulb the price is outstanding!

The SmartThings to Wiz integration is cloud-to-cloud, which means that someone would either have to reverse engineer it or Hubitat would have to partner with Wiz to develop one. There has been very little interest in Wifi devices due to the limitation that most consumer routers have on the number of devices that can connect to them. Especially since the Sengled bulbs are just a little bit more and can be directly connected to HE.

Philips Hue WIZ Bulbs

These are branded Philips, but they're not Philips Hue (perhaps you didn't mean to type that part). Signify/Philips recently bought WiZ and are releasing the bulbs under the same Philips brand, but they are quite different.

It would be theoretically possible to write an integration if these things have a documented or reverse-engineered API (assuming it doesn't rely on encryption or something HE doesn't support at the moment). Their website is mostly silent on the issue, mentioning only an "OAuth 2.0 AWS API," but presumably they mean an API for themselves and not an open one since that's mentioned nowhere else. A look at other home automation projects like Home Assistant and OpenHAB that frequently reverse-engineer APIs (e.g., Tradfri Gateway) if one isn't officially available yields no results, which is not promising. On the bright side, reviews have said they don't need the Internet for daily function, one of few promising things I can find.

That being said, they do support Alexa and IFTTT, so you do at least have some limited options for integration. I wouldn't count on much more, at least at the moment. Hue is really exceptional with its local, well-documented API, but Philips isn't afraid to charge for it, unlike these. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Ryan780, @bertabcd1234 Yes I should have left out Hue after reading more about it. Too bad these are not doable because they have a great price. I have the Hue bulbs as well and love the power on behavior.

It's $54.51 for two color Wiz bulbs. Possibly more under the Philips brand. Didn't see pricing.

Black Friday is on its way. I would keep an eye on the Hue bulbs. I got a new version color Hub bulb a while back on promotion for $23.90 USD. Worth waiting I think, since the Hue will have much better color.

@SmartHomePrimer I saw those bulbs at the Home Depot. Here is the link.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-Color-and-Tunable-White-A19-LED-60W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Smart-Wi-Fi-Wiz-Connected-Wireless-Light-Bulb-555607/310289028

I really like the Hue bulbs and I always forget about the Black Friday thing. I will make o note of it this time. thanks

1 Like

Wow, I see what you mean! That's cheap, but personally, WiFi bulbs...No thank you.

1 Like

Yea, I agree. The only ones I use are Yeelights for outside. Not good to have a bunch of WIFI bulbs cluttering up things.

1 Like

At one point, my wife wanted me to look into replacing all our Zigbee bulbs with WiFi. Once I calculated the cost and did a network assessment, it would have added about 50+ devices to my routers with a cost of around $1700. No thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@corerootedxb Dang, that is a lot of bulbs. I can see why you wouldn't. I only have 6 so not a big issue.

1 Like

They also support SmartThings, so you could pair to ST and use Hub Connect. But it is still a cloud to cloud integration so if the internet is down, you don't have control of your lights.

Of note:

I assume this would also apply to HubConnect, but I'm not as familiar with ST's new architecture and am not sure why this would be the case.

Just another reason I'm glad I left ST.

1 Like

Not that I've changed my opinion about WiFi bulbs, but you could control these with Google Assistant Relay. Somewhat limited, yes, and it's still cloud, but it would work. It's cloud with SmartThings too of course, but at least Google Assistant Relay would be more reliable.

This is how I control a TrΓ₯dfri color bulb I have paired with my Hub bridge.

And WAAAAY too slow for me. That could take 5 seconds to turn a light on. Not worth the tiny amount of savings. Plus, it doesn't work if the internet is down.

Neither does SmartThings, but more people use it than HE still for some reason. To each their own. Just throwing an option out there. Choose your own path.

Absolutely. And some people might be okay with that. But this is HE and I'm willing to bet that most ST "refugees" are here because of slow response and cloud dependency. Like I said, just don't want anyone thinking that a solution means it will work like everything else, that's all.

1 Like

Of course not, that's why I noted...

1 Like

Yes...but in this case you're talking two clouds. In my experience, doubling the clouds is not a linear increase in your failure rate, it's exponential. I think once you get to 4 clouds it's an asymptote approaching 100% failure. :wink: (gotta love a good math joke)

My experience is google cloud is pretty reliable. Amazon AVS cloud is getting much more reliable too. Not 100% of course, that doesn't exist, but better than everything else out there that I've experienced. Philips...Yes you've got a very valid point there. That's been one of the lesser reliable cloud services in my experience.

1 Like