Peanut Plug supported on Hubitat?

I've been on channel 14 for ages now. For me, it's been the most reliable for my devices and far enough away from my Hue hub (channel wise). I also keep my 2.4ghz WiFi on channel 11 as well even though I only have 6 total devices (out of the 110 total devices) on that spectrum.

1 Like

I have 105 zigbee devices, so changing the channel was a nail biter, especially since the Hue dimmers are so touchy. I tried just bumping down to 19 to get away from the SmartThings channel, but the Hues wouldn't stay connected for more than a few minutes even though they joined right away.

1 Like

Yeah, Hue products NOT on a Hue hub are a nightmare in terms of channels. If I remember correctly, the Hue hub itself only supports 4 channels (11,15, 20, 25) and I think that the Hue products are the same way. Using any other channel on a different hub (HE, ST, etc) usually produces the same conditions as you are seeing.

1 Like

I never took note of that apparently, but you are correct. I guess that explains it.

1 Like

As of this morning, both of mine seem to be working correctly on channel 20. But I need these to work while away from the house unattended too. Basically I need these to be reliable where I utilize them. I may need to use Z-Wave on any critical positions if I see more hick-ups with the Peanuts.

LOL I've put a LOT of trial and error into that theory. Part of the reason I am trying to dump Hue is because of stupid design decisions they make like that.

1 Like

That, OR, get some of the more reliable outlets. The SmartThings outlets (V5 I think?) and the Centralite 3200-C and the 3210-L are very reliable. However, it also largely depends on how strong your Zigbee mesh is though.

With that said, none of my SmartThings or Centralite outlets have ever failed me. I trust them enough that I use them on my reef tanks for monitoring equipment.

1 Like

I also have the Sylvania and last 2 generations of the SmartThings plugs. I would trust either of them to be reliable away from home. The Sylvania are quite a bit cheaper, but I don't think they have a ram buffer, and don't seem to repeat for as many devices, but at least for me they have had better range than any of my other plugs. I wouldn't trust my peanut plugs for anything critical, they are just for repeating at my house.

1 Like

I use Iris v2/Centralite 3210-L Zigbee outlets and they have always been bulletproof. And they are Z-Wave repeaters as a bonus. Available for a very good price on ebay still...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Z-Wave-Plus-Smart-Plug-Model-3210-L-White-Zigbee/153454971494?hash=item23baa10a66:g:8F0AAOSwuG9ctxty

3 Likes

If those EBay plugs are indeed reliable, I may try those. The Monoprice plugs work great but are relatively expensive and large which is why I was going for the Peanut trial.

1 Like

Just a heads-up... The Peanut Plug and Iris 3210-L outlet do not perform well as Xiaomi/Aqara repeaters (since the Xiaomi/Aqara devices are not Zigbee HA standards-compliant.) For those, you'd probably want the ugly, but inexpensive, IKEA Tradfri outlets.

2 Likes

Now we know who's not on Ikea's payroll for sure :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Ish. Monoprice has been known to use substandard radios from time to time that tend to die after a year or two.

LOL... That would be @Royski (and maybe me) I think he has about double the amount of GU10s that I do. I have 6 Ikea Drivers, 8(? I can't remember) GU10s, and 4 Signal Repeaters plus 6 sets of the Ikea strip lights wired into Sonoff Basics.

[Edit]: On, and I have 4 of the Symphonisk speakers. Those things are AWESOME. I actually want to get about 4 or 8 more of them. LOL

My wife cringes whenever I tell her I need an Ikea trip. :wink:

3 Likes

I certainly wish I was lol.

13 GU10s, 6e14s, 4 Tradfri dimmer units with Ikea LED strips, 4 Plugs and 7 puck dimmers hahaha.

2 Likes

Do the puck dimmers work on HE? I thought Mike said those were verbotten and would never work?

1 Like

These are the round plastic things with no buttons :wink: They work nicely here. Better as a switch rather than a dimmer though. Although the dimmer driver I have does work, its just a little "jittery".

Good to know! I still need to get some kind of dimmer/remote/button thingy for a couple of rooms here and I ALWAYS gaze longingly at the Ikea pucks and then move on because I didn't think they would work.

I'll have to give them a shot.

1 Like

I have two drivers for them. One will dim properly (well as properly as these buggers can). The other is just a straight twist for on/off. On, clockwise, off is anti. That one works very well.

Give me a shout should you ever need the drivers :+1:

1 Like

Not as ugly as the Monoprice light-show plugs! I'll put those at the top of the considered for plan-B column if the Peanuts continue to drive me nuts.

2 Likes