Peanut Plug firmware/OTA update

FYI
If you flash the router you will lose the 5G wireless side.

1 Like

I noticed that. My first got lost in shipping, so Amazon sent another. The first one did eventually show up, now I have two.

I picked up a Securifi zwave stick for cheap a while back. I'm wondering if I can flash one of them with the Almond 3 firmware and activate the stick.

Z-wave stick? I thought the Almond routers had a zigbee radio not a z-wave one.

Or do you mean flash the router with the firmware?

That is correct. And, obviously (as you've implied) for the Peanuts all that is needed is an Almond with a built-in zigbee radio.

However, Securifi also sold a z-wave USB dongle to provide a z-wave radio to Almond routers with a USB port (like the Almond 3 and maybe others).

1 Like

Correct. That's why I'm wondering if the Homescreen will take the Almond 3 firmware without bricking it.

At $15 on Amazon I would take that risk !!

I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

1 Like

I updated all of my Peanuts with this, and am using it in access point mode with a different 2.4Ghz band for the things on my network that HATE to keep a stable connection with Smart Connect enabled on my Netgear X6S, like my HP Printer.

Flashed the Homescreen with Almond 3 firmware. Bricked it.

1 Like

Ouch! At least you're not out a whole lot of dough.

Thanks for the follow up. You still have a second?
BTW, my HP color laser printer is working great from the slooowww wifi of this. Go figure. It's the only reason it isn't going to the bin in my garage with all the other routers.

Yea, I have another one. Figured it was worth a try.

1 Like

This thing is very slow. I tried to find the original firmware online to flash back to, but no luck. I just hope it continues hobbling along for the printer.

I use a powerline adapter for my printers and it works well.

Now this is interesting. I paired an Iris 3rd gen motion sensor to the homescreen and enabled the Almond skill in Alexa. It shows up as a temp sensor and shows the temp in the Alexa app.

I used almond 2015 version and worked

The printer is funky. I had it on the lan and AirPrint wouldn’t work. It is working fine now though.

So I just plugged in one of the Homescreen routers I picked up from Amazon. It never gets past the logo screen, reset button doesn't seem to help. I haven't even tried to flash the Almond firmware yet. Not reachable from the default IP address. Dud?

For $15? i have to say, I'm not really surprised.

Ask amazon for a replacement. They tend to be awesome with that.

I have been able to update all mine a few weeks back.