Peanut Plug firmware/OTA update

Your choice.

However, to be clear, returning something that doesn't work for the intended purpose (to fulfill its advertised function as repeater) is ethically very different from "purchasing" a tool to be used just once and then return it. The latter is ethically unacceptable. The former isn't.

2 Likes

Ryan,

I was the same way until recently. The Aeotec Multisensor 6 and it's pathetic lux reporting cured me of that issue. I've since returned several bulbs that didn't work correctly and anything that is used/returned when it was bought as new. I've even [gasp] returned one new in the box sensor I changed my mind about.

1 Like

Yes...I know and I was kidding. There was a post of someone who returned light bulbs to Costco after a year of using them. It's got me on a very corporate-defending kick today. :smiley: If it was good enough to use for a year, then they can't be that bad.

Umm....... not my cup of tea.

I wonder if you can use the same technique to flash other devices ?

Other securifi devices? or other cloned routers? I have previously updated a Costco R6900 to an R7000, and a t-mobile TM-1900 to an Asus RT-AC68U. Lots of fun and performance gains

I have an almond 2015, which I've been using as a wifi access point for a year or so. It is hard wired to the main router on the other side of the house. It works fine. I have it set to the same SSID and password as the main router. The only issue I have is my phone often holds on to the one that is far away as I walk around the house.
I think their router software and hardware is pretty good. If I didn't already have one, I'd be very interested.

Lucky you. Mine is lost in the shipping void. Supposed to be here yesterday. Amazon provided a USPS tracking number, then it changed to a UPS number. Neither shows up in the system.

Mine has arrived and is now updated to Almond 2015. Updating plugs now...

I suppose I now have a backup router/AP if my Ubiquiti setup shits the bed one day.

That would be pure desperation! For me, the Almond was barely adequate as a router. I ended up turning off it's Wifi and using it as a smarthome hub prior to my move to Smartthings.

:grinning:

Interesting. I had exactly the opposite experience. I had an early Almond I got via their Kickstarter campaign. It was fine as a router, but they never got any decent automation stuff going, which was what I wanted. I eventually got a low end Homeseer system (before I switched to HE) and for a while used the Almond just as a router, and it seemed fine for that. Maybe they eventually got their act together on the automation end.

No, not really, I just didn't know any better.

I can't remember what the WiFi issue was, if I had to guess, I was living in a basement condo at the time, and the amount of local wifi competition was intense, so it may just not have had that good a radio compared to my Fios Quantum, or perhaps there was a feature I needed. That was awhile ago...and my memory is just terrible lol

Thanks for posting this! I got mine today and updated my Peanut plugs. I needed a range extender with network ports anyway for a couple of gadgets.

Just a heads up, the zigbee radio in mine quit working after about 24 hours. Rebooted it a couple of times with no luck. Seems to be working fine as a wifi extender.

Going to try a factory reset tomorrow.

You mean in the little homescreen router?

Sorry about that. Yes the homescreen.
I moved it to a different location, when it rebooted, the zigbee radio was sporadic, then unresponsive.

@rob121 @rjb.bob @kevin.michaels

Do the reflashed routers work with the Almond mobile app?

I didn't need or want to create an account, so I'm not sure. The prompts were all there, so unless they check serial numbers it seems like it should work.

1 Like

Thanks - I was just curious.

Yes, they work with the app. Shows up as an Almond 2015.

1 Like