Paul Hibbert goes after ZigBee Again

Keep the good work up Paul, To some around here the truth just hurts to much. Your videos have helped and will help a ton of people. With this HA thing.

The truth according to Paul maybe. :wink: His OPINIONS are not TRUTH.

(not to be pedantic, but words have meaning dang it, and we should use them correctly)

1 Like

Is it not customary to welcome someone new like @PaulHibbert to the community...? :slight_smile:

It is pleasing to see even those here that are critical of Paul in any way (at least since his post) are respectful enough to make a point of acknowledging his right to an opinion and no ill will towards him.

For someone to call out their mental health in choosing not to read responses to a post is a sad situation for society in general to find itself in. For someone to post into what he quotes as feeling like a hostile envrionment deserves some level of respect, but I feel a level of discomfort that he feels unwelcome in a community I am part of...

In terms of conveying a point of view, I know that I can get "worked up" when I feel someone is not agreeing with the same information based reasoning I have arrived at. That does not mean that I should make others who don't agree with me feel uncomfortable in any way, nor should they do the same to me. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it doesn't make it acceptable, and when it does happen those involved should acknowledge it and address it in a respectful and constructive way, in my opinion. I feel the same is true for Paul's videos. Just because he is expressing an opinion based on his own level of analysis, doesn't mean he should feel the degree of antagonism he quotes in his videos. Whether his assessment of his viewers opinions is accurate or not, it should be enough that Paul feels this way for us to sit back and assess our own actions....

I'll admit, like other people here, there are things I whole-heartedly agree with that Paul advocates, and there are things that I don't agree with. In the end I feel Paul is an entertaining, genuine guy. If I'm wrong, in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. The idea, for me, is not to get too emotionally invested in these things, nor to get into long-winded arguments about them, I'm here to enjoy the enthusiasm of others in this community and the fun of home automation, without the angst.

Simon

4 Likes

I just think he made a mistake saying he wouldn't be reading any replies. If he doesn't want to then fine, he just doesn't show up again, but bursting in, making dramatic statements about intent, then flouncing out again always reduce a person's dignity in my eyes, especially as I've yet to meet a person who could stick to that - curiosity nearly always wins :slight_smile: And in my experience, sticking around to discuss your issue and answer questions builds both relationships and respect. He could have brought some people onside, and built empathy.

1 Like

On the one hand I agree, it would be nice for someone in Paul's position as a media personality to engage more in the community (I know that's not the point you were making), but to my overall point in my post earlier, should he have to do this for the purpose of managing peoples opinions or feelings? Shouldn't it be enough to put your opinions out there and have a civil discussion, without feeling a need to engage with an audience in order to smooth over any emotions people bring to the table?

Actually that sentiment was kind of included in my comment, although a little hidden I agree. Yes I am disappointed he's not going to stick around, he'd have been an interesting and knowledgeable member of our community, but his image has been spoilt for me by running off like that. And perhaps on principle we should have been allowed a right of (listened-to) reply after being rounded upon like that. I mean it's not like we've all been negative about him.

1 Like

A perfect example of what I'm talking about, someone expressing their opinion where they don't agree with me without any fanfare or making me feel bad for having a different opinion.

That said, I tend to agree with part of your last post, I too would have liked to see Paul hang around and be part of the community and provide his unique input into various discussions.

I guess I was cutting him some slack for the heat he has felt, real or otherwise, be it here or elsewhere. I can understand both sides of that debate, and can see your point of view about how it may have helped that situation to engage more here on the community.

2 Likes

I watch his video's but they do fell like personal attacks at times

• Attacks Philips Hue at every chance I have two hubs and around 40 lights

• Attacks Zigbee - I'm not happy with the battery life I get now or response I got from ST, yet he was showing off a wifi motion sensor the other week the battery life must be awful

• Attacks Logitech Harmory - This weeks video is a great example, I believe he hates it due to the mobile app being crap which I agree I would never dream of using the app, I have three of the Logitech Harmony Companion Hub & Remotes you can normally pick them up on sale for around £70 pounds, My living room with 7 devices could be up and running in under 30 mins, yet he moans its to complicated and recommends a £40 broadcom hub with no remote and then his TV remote has to manually learn each button as its not in the database

Hes a smart home pusher and not a home automation pusher and there's a huge difference, watch The Hook Up & Smart Home Solver instead

3 Likes

People take things too seriously sometimes. I enjoy his Videos and personality and find him entertaining. He has his way of doing things so either you like it or not. If not, just move on and find someone who you do agree with and enjoy watching. I don't get the negative comments but I have a feeling that some are based on just the initial part of his videos and they may not be watching all the way to the end to see and hear is full comments. Anyway, that is just my opinion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why would people watch all the way to the end if they don't like the beginning? :wink:

2 Likes

Because they want to see what hell say next.

1 Like

I guess. That isn't how I work when watching videos. Don't like it, bail out. No time for waiting to see.

Same with movies for me.

2 Likes

Lol was a small joke for anyone who remembers the Howard stern movie.

1 Like

Hi @PaulHibbert and welcome! I do hope you will change your mind at some point and be an active part of this Hubitat community. Healthy conversation on Smart Home related things is good for us all! :+1:

4 Likes

This is where your problem begins. Technology is NOT designed to aid those in the past. It is designed to create a future. Those unwilling to learn how to drive a car, should stick to using a horse and buggy, not make the car more like a horse and buggy.

Nope, Ebay and Iris Zigbee sensors average $5-10 each.

This is an absurd goal, some people can't even read and write The exact reason a free market economy exists is for Different Companies to provide different products catered to specific users. If you do not like a companies product you choose an alternative, you DON'T expect a company to cater to every human on earth.

2 Likes

I remember that. :slight_smile: funny movie, too.

That is my thought as well. I just didn't bother writing it since Paul "took his ball and went home" after saying his piece anyway.

I can't say I'm wholly onboard with your view but I'll offer a couple comments here..

Well, I believe that making it easier to drive that car could be helpful for everyone..and yes it would help people transition from a horse and carriage to a car. It seems pretty elitist to me to take a position saying well I can understand this complicated new technology and connect the bits so anyone who can't understand it is old and shouldn't be using it anyway... Sigh

Again.. What is the problem with making it accessible to those that are less technically saavy and super easy for those that do have the technical knowledge? A small case in point here is..oh I don't know Apple who has made Billions..oh wait let's make that TRILLIONS doing exactly that. Take a complicated technology and make it easy and usable(i.e. Accessible) for all. Seems to not be such a bad idea :wink:

1 Like

The problem with you claim is that it's NOT complicated, there are SIMPLE instructions listed on every protocol and how to join instructions on almost every device sold. If you are unwilling to read the instructions and learn them, that doesn't mean the tech is complicated. I am the least tech savy person of probably most everyone in this forum, yet easily figured out how to use/operate these protocols. Were there learning obstacles yes, but that happens with ANYTHING new you have never experienced before.

Cost outweigh the benefit for the main one.

Eventually your VHS player stops working and your VHS are useless, if you wait until this time before learning the new technology that replaces it, that is your fault not societies or the manufacturers. Smart home tech has been around for over a decade now. Maybe those claiming it's too hard to learn should watch more 'how-to's' on yourtube instead of cat videos.

1 Like

Try 30+ years. X10 was the number one advertiser early on the internet with how easy it was to setup lighting and outlets with remote controls. Even X10 required some expertise that exceeded the technical capabilities of it's users and it was mostly plug and play. The market tries and doesn't always effects everyone the same way.

3 Likes

If I wanted to watch his style of humour I would watch CBBC