Oven Temperature

Does anyone have suggestions for a smart oven thermometer that will allow me to integrate with Alexa or Hubitat? Want to get it to announce when the oven has reached a desired temperature.

Thanks

I have seen meat thermometers that use Bluetooth or WiFI that can be accessed through a Smartphone app. I presume the phone would alert you when the preset temperature is reached. They have a temperature probe that would go inside your over and a transmitter outside.

I have not seen any Zigbee or Z-wave devices that could integrate with Hubitat directly.

There is at least one cooking thermometer setup that I know could work with Hubitat (FireBoard) because I have been working on a driver that connects to their cloud API with a very patient community member that has one. It seems to be working fairly well now I guess, but since it is a single person (and single unit, and they have added 2 more to their lineup) I have not published it yet.

Getting the temperature probe into the oven might be a bit of fun and checking the prices this is NOT something for the casual user.

Of course if you find something else WiFi (not Bluetooth) there is the CHANCE (slim) that the company would be willing to work with someone to write a driver if they do not already have a published API.

2 Likes

I have one foot in Hubitat and the other in Arduino, so my suggestion uses a combination of those two.

Type K Thermocouples can go to 2000+ Deg C. I would recommend this type of sensor. Especially if you have a self cleaning oven. (I've read SC ovens can reach 900 °F and above).

@ogiewon has created a nearly plug an play interface between Hubitat and Arduino, named Hubduino. With this, a Type K thermocouple to Arduino board (~$5 on ebay) you can have the oven temperature brought into Hubduino.
If interested I could provide more info and details.

I know nothing about the above mentioned Fireboard, except a quick look on their website mentioned the sensor is a 100k thermal resistor (NTC). NTC's typically have a max temperature < 500°F. I doubt they would survive a self cleaning cycle.

Please excuse the mixed use of °F and °C. But it appears we in the US are not smart enough to make the transition to the metric system and our congress folks can't see anything beyond their own party.

4 Likes

I have a fireboard. I would be interested to try this too if you are willing.
-s

No need to apologize - if the Good Lord had intended us to use the metric system, He would have given us 10 fingers and toes!

1 Like

That sounds like we should be using a base 20 system actually...

1 Like

Having been trained in chemistry and engineering, I can go back and forth between metric and Imperial measurements fairly easily.

The other system that we all use is the measuring of time which is in base 60 as we go from 60 seconds per minute to 60 minutes per hour. However, then we go to 24 hours per day; go figure. However, once you go smaller than a second, the metric system is typically used. We have milliseconds, microseconds, nanoseconds, etc.

Longitude and Latitude can be based on decimal degrees. However, it is often reported in degrees, minutes, and seconds as well.

Fortunately, having computers (or even a calculator) makes unit conversion easy. I have an Alexa system, so I can ask "Alexa, what is 75 degrees F in Celsius" and get an instant answer: "23.89 degrees C."

Each conversion is an opportunity for error, ask the Hubble folks.

1 Like

Yeah, well they didn't have Alexa to help with metric to Imperial conversions, like @rwclements228 has ....

So, off course they messed up.
:rofl:

1 Like

Or the folks at NASA...

Hubble's early woes were a manufacturing flaw by Perkin Elmer. Corning made the glass mirror blank, which was then shipped to Perkin Elmer in CT to be ground. I work for Corning, so we were glad when it was determined to not be our fault! :wink:

https://apnews.com/article/a080cf57761942b3a6837eb87b088bc5

1 Like

Sometimes being a rocket scientist is not all that it is cracked up to be.

I might still have the booklet of conversion factors that I used 50 years ago. However, you have to be careful that you are consistent with the units of measurement.

With calculators and computers, it is so easy to start entering numbers mindlessly without considering the units. I found that it was easier to avoid errors when using a slide rule because you had to have some idea what the magnitude of the answer needed to be.

I do have issues with some obscure units of measure like hectares, leagues, fathoms, cubits, stadion, pecks, bushels, etc.

Although the USA still uses measurement of feet, inches, yards, quarts, gallons, etc. many things are now converted over to the metric system. What used to be a fifth of liquor or wine is now sold in 750ml bottles. Most water bottles are 1 liter, not 12 oz. Carbonated beverages are sold in 2 liter containers, not 2 quarts. Food products typically list the portion size in ounces, but then list the nutritional composition in grams and milligrams. I also have two sets of wrenches: one in SAE sizes and one in metric sizes. Thus, while there has not been a hard conversion to metric, in many cases there has been a soft conversion.

Literally every nut and bolt on vehicles nowadays is metric. Imported and domestic.

Bolts on domestic vehicles usually have head sizes of 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and 18mm

Bolts on Asian vehicles usually have head sizes of 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm

I have yet to see a 12mm, 14mm, or 17mm holt head on a domestic vehicle, nor have I seen 13mm, 15mm, or 18mm bolt head on an imported vehicle..

By domestic, I am referring to Ford, GM, and Chrysler

By Asian I am referring to Acura, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, Mitsubishi, and Subaru, probably a few more but you get the idea.

Or worse yet, a jumbo jet. Gimli Glider - Wikipedia

That could have been bad in terms of life, both passengers and people on the ground. But somehow the Captain pulled through and glided a disabled 767 for miles to an abandoned runway that was in use for racing that day, and somehow completely successfully landed the disabled plane without any injuries to anyone or even the plane.

1 Like

All automotive companies are metric, US and other. About 15 years ago GM went through one plant on a 3 day weekend, removing every Imperial system ruler and replacing then with metric. No warning. Of course the folks I worked were pissed because they took a good Starrett metal ruler and replaced with a wooden metric (like a grade school ruler).

Also interesting is the folks in Europe all have metric socket sets. But the drive is still 1/4 Inch!

but they mistakenly did the calculation with the density of jet fuel in pounds/litre. There should be no such parameter "pounds / litre" :frowning:

1 Like

I still have a 13/64 SnapOn socket. British.

I always stump techs when I have them look at the socket without looking at the markings and give them 3 attempts to guess the size. 1/2” nope. 13mm nope. 12mm nope :sunglasses:

1 Like

You say that, but there are still holdovers here and there. My somewhat newer Chrysler product has US standard (3/8 head) fasteners holding on the front fenders and some interior trim. You are going along and it is 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, then suddenly this weird size. I used to joke that Chrysler accidentally purchased too many barrels of these fender bolts back in the Iacocca era, and they were just being cheap and using them all up before converting to metric.

And it isn't the only car or only place I have encountered these oddball situations. It was a lot more common in the 90s with something like a double ended stud that held on an alternator or power steering bracket. One end of the stud would be threaded metric, the other US standard! What a mess. Glad to not have to deal with this much anymore.

@snell - and just to bring this back on-topic... have you made any further progress with the Fireboard app?

1 Like

I do have another version of it posted on my server (and in my version system), but I have not made it a public project due to the limited sample set of users so far. I will send you a message with the latest links.

2 Likes