Outlet off depends on battery level in phone

Hi,
is possibility to get something like if battery in phone is fully charged (100%) then turn off outlet ?
Of course phone is connected to home WiFi.

I do it using the Tasker app on an Android phone in conjunction with HE but not sure it can be done natively in HE alone. I don't know how you would get the battery info from your phone.

Why do you want to do this? Modern phones will control the charging of the battery based on the amount of charge the battery has. There is no need for you to regulate this by powering off the outlet the phone is plugged into.

1 Like

Only if you leave the phone on the charger 24/7. What is much worse for the battery is being depleted to 95% then charged to 100% then depleted to 95% and then charged to 100%, which is what you rule will do over and over again. It is much better to leave the phone on the charge in "trickle mode" (the way it keeps the charge at 100% when it's done charging) then to remove the charger, let it deplete a little and then charge it back up. You are actually shortening the life of the battery by doing this.

I don't know about @krzyskonieczny15 but I shut off my outlet when my cell phone battery hits 85%. I don't need it to goto 100%. My Android phone won't stop at less than 100% without help from me. The plug only turns back on when phone hits 50% going down.

This is not what phone manufactuers tell us to do. This will still cause your battery to develop a "memory". Depleting the charge on your phone as much as possible and then fully charging it back up and then repeating that cycle is the best way to maintain your battery.

Also, what good is it to wake up and have your phone's battery be 55%? I want my phone at 100% when i wake up in the morning.

Then your phone will not be at 100% when you get up.

I have got IKEA outlet so I can't use power meter :confused:

This is not settled science by any stretch of the imagination. I have done my research and have decided to go my route and you have decided to go yours. However, the OP didn't ask for your opinion or mine on should he/she do something. He/she wants to know the best way.

2 Likes

And I have a stated my opinion that it doesn't matter, so why bother trying to figure it out? Save yourself the headache. You can either agree with that or not but IMHO, you don't have to come up with an answer, which is an answer to the question. You might not like it but it is a valid answer.

From Popular Mechanics:

I won't pester you with facts any longer. Have a nice day.

I didn't realize that Popular Mechanics was the end-all, be-all expert and we should take what they say as absolute. I wonder their opinion on Global Warming.....

Like I said before, I have read a bunch of different sources that I trust and have made my conclusion. You have done the same and made your conclusion. So, why do you care so much that someone came to a different conclusion? And our conclusions don't help the OP achieve his/her end goal.

1 Like

Which ones?

My point was that it was not from some 2-bit blog post of someone's opinion but from a reputable source. There's no need to become insulting.

If the OP's goal is to not overcharge his/her phone, then there is no need to do anything to achieve that goal. As I said, that is the reason that I posted. If you disagree, that's fine. But I should point out, I stated what i understood to be the truth. And you were the one that disputed that fact. If you don't want to have a discussion about whether it's true or not, then don't start the discussion. But you can't blame me for responding to you, you can only blame yourself.

ITTT has a battery level monitor here

Turning the charger on and off, if nothing else, will save a few watts of energy.

Hubitat has well-known IFTTT integration, see
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=IFTTT_Integration

Why care? I want my Pixel 1 phone to live forever.

The Pixel 1 phone is assured of having "Unlimited Google Photos Storage For Life", so it is plugged in next to the router as a WiFi-only device, and is sent all the photos from both my wife's and my own newer Pixel phones, and (natively) syncs them all with both Google Photos, and with the local NAS.

While turning the charger on and off on a regular timed schedule would likely do the job, knowing the charge level would allow the suggested practices that are claimed to preserve battery life. I'm not going to argue one way or the other, except to say that following the more complex approach certainly cannot HURT the battery, and clearly, batteries are only "good for" so many cycles of charge/discharge/recharge before they must be replaced.

One thought I neglected to add in the last post - my laptop, when left to its own choices in "Battery Saver" mode, tends to keep the battery charged at around 60%, and no higher. If I travel, I turn this "Battery Saver" off, to get a battery charge of "100%" for use on planes and trains.

If I look at my phone (Pixel 1, Pixel 3, and before them, a series of Sony Xperias) the charger will charge the battery up to 100% every time.

Given identical batteries, I think that Lenovo is doing a better job of taking care of the battery than the phone charger, and is demonstrating the prudent approach. I would tend to disagree with the flat statements made in in this thread that ANY phone or phone charger handles batteries "well", unless someone can present a phone charger that does what my laptop does.

This thread’s over a year old and @Ryan780 has since been banned from the forum.

@bobbyD maybe a good candidate for thread closure.

I'm not sure what one might do to warrant being "banned" from a forum where the discussion centers on home automation, but the issue is still valid even if one of the contributors is no longer around to comment. @marktheknife

Generally speaking, violations of the community guidelines can result in a user being suspended or banned, depending on either the severity of the violation or repeated failure to change one’s behavior.

In Ryan’s case, it was repeated argumentative behavior that often rose to the level of being outright abusive or harassing to other users. It’s on display above in this thread to a mild degree, and probably is the reason why the thread died over a year ago.

Resurrecting an old thread, aka necroposting, is usually much less likely to result in a good discussion than simply starting a new one. Even more so when one of the main participants in the thread has been banned.

6 Likes

@marktheknife

Thank you for your reasoned and detailed response.

@james.fischer

When a thread has been inactive for >1 year, it is more productive to start a new thread that is devoid of baggage.

4 Likes

That why I stopped posting on this thread. :grinning:

If you are bored, just go search his name in Time Out section of Lounge. There is/was plenty of reading there.

4 Likes