OUTDOOR Zwave or Zigbee Motion Sensor

ive modled a simple rain cover, with fild of view limiting eye fo a standard Hue sensor, then 3d printed it

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4589038

404 error for me on your link...

Try this
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4589038

No, I think it was me,.I hadn't published it

1 Like

Yup, works perfectly now! :slight_smile:

I'm putting two standard outdoor pir mains powered sensors on the front of my home. I'm going to attach each to a relay coil (each), and have a nodemcu detect when the dry contact is closed.

I find that I get too many false alerts when it's windy and / or hot. Using the two of them together to cover one area will allow me to have a 'virtual' motion sensor which will only fire up when both of them detect motion simultaneously. Theory is the false alerts will be minimised, which means my 50w floodlight should only come on when it's actually needed.

It has been a while since you posted this picture of your aeotec 6 undercover and I am wondering does it still work? I ask because I tried using a zooZ four in one sensor in my garage, and one in a homemade cover under my deck and both died within weeks of each other. I am thinking the humidity got to them as neither ever came and direct contact with rain. Now I need a new temperature and light sensor for outdoors that will stand up to the elements a little better.

Yes it still is if you can believe it.. Here's the latest "Current States".. Not sure why tamper has been detected but I did move things around at some point last week so maybe that was it.

nr198

Again only using for Lux not motion.. the temp reading is usually off as well due to it being under the transparent cover. Today is a cloudy rainy day at our location.

Thank you so much for the reply. I would like to get temperature and humidity readings out of it as well. I was hoping I could drill a couple holes in the box and mount it on a deck post (my deck is 10 ft off the ground so there's plenty of room for sensors). Or, will allowing weather into the box be the sensor's undoing? Worst case scenario it's a $65 experiment. Thanks again for the input.

1 Like

Yeah more exposure would probably limit the lifespan but it's been surprisingly resilient given the summer heat which is usually magnified in the box. You might be able to get away with mounting it under an overhang somewhere.. like under the eaves.

1 Like