OUTDOOR Zwave or Zigbee Motion Sensor

AA x2...

Wayne, I don’t know where you plan on putting the motion sensor but I live in Florida (very humid and lots of rain in the summers). I have about 10 V2 SmartThings and 10 ms-100 motion sensors mounted under the eves for a few years and have had no issues with either of them them. I can say I tried to use a V3 ST motion outside and had to move it inside because it was too sensitive. These aren’t technically outdoor motion sensors but they have served the purpose of an outdoor sensor for my use case very well over the years.

I have had three Ecolink PIRZWAVE2.5 motion sensors installed tightly under eaves on my house for two years now, with no problems. They are all within two inches of the eave, two of the spots are deep eaves, well protected, but one of them is just the overhang of my garage door.

So even though these are officially 'indoor sensors' I have had no issues under the eaves. I live in central coastal NJ, and we get some severe thunderstorms around here, with high winds.

They perform well, though the sensitivity drops in peak summer, but that is a common PIR issue, when your back ground temperature comes close to body temperature. The 'pet rejection' option works quite well, with a slight tradeoff in response time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the sensor will not act as a repeater when powered via USB (it's just our ZSE18 sensor that can be joined both as a sleeping or routing node).

We'll have the 1.2 Version released in late June, it will feature configurable motion retrigger time through an advanced parameter. We already have the firmware ready though so if you'd like to purchase sooner, we can update the firmware in-house for you or send the OTA file your way, whichever is easier.

We're still working on a more serious upgrade including settings for sensitivity and lux trigger but we couldn't get them implemented in time for the next production cycle. We're not sure if these changes will be all available through an OTA firmware since some require hardware changes as well. We'll keep you posted.

2 Likes

I am using an aeotec ms6 and a weatherproof outdoor outlet cover.. I mounted the cover + unit above an existing outdoor outlet and am powering via usb. I am NOT using it for motion detection currently - only illuminance.

1 Like

How is the sensitivity through the cover? Have you noticed any change?

I wasn't shooting for complete accuracy for the illuminance but it works fine. In terms of the motion sensor I just checked - it does not appear to work when the cover is closed. Theoretically it should right? I thought clear plastic doesn't filter IR but maybe things are getting too scattered based on the pattern on the cover.

I'm looking for a very specific set of functionality for my outdoor sensor / light setup. I'm out in the woods and it is DARK at night. I need my floods to come on at dusk at maybe 20% and stay on until daylight. I also want them to kick up to full brightness if they detect motion. I purchased a couple Homeseer HS-FLS100+ Z-Wave Plus Floodlight Sensors and hooked them up to a metal 2-bulb setup and wired them in so they can take control.

In order to get to dimming my plan was a zwave switch in the wall with dimming capability. Rules are finicky here because if I turn the floodlight switch completely off, I get no LUX read and that can't be a trigger.

-At dusk, (either from sunset time or LUX), set flood switch to 20% brightness.
-On motion sense, increase wall switch to 100% brightness and keep it that way for X seconds or minutes then revert to 20%
-At dawn (either from sunrise time or LUX), set flood to 0% brightness but cannot turn power completely or the LUX/Motion will not work

Is there a product out there that is all integrated where I can do this without a dance between a wall switch, el cheapo metal flood, and a homeseer motion sensor? Or perhaps a better way?

Have a look at my app ‘motion controlled lights & switches’
You should be able to do it with this fairly easily.

http://hubitat.uk

Hello Mike, I was watching the video of the outdoor sensor in hue website, it says it has motion sensitivity setting, is this available in HE?

I have one that should be delivered tomorrow, if you don't get an answer remind me tomorrow night.

Ok, thanks!

Not according to the attributes available in the clusters, only thing I found was the retrigger timeout.

Good morning.
Inwanted to refresh this thread to see if there were any updates since the last post.
Anything new out there for hardware or settings to allow some sensitivity control on a motion sensor?
I did get a reply on a diffrrent thread recently that iris v2 sensors do not have that functionality ( i have about 15 of them) but hoping there might be something new.
Thanks.
Mac

There are one or two zwave sensors that have sensitivity (fibaro and aeotec), as well as both zigbee hue motion sensors, one of which is designed for outdoor use.

I appreciate the reply.
One more question please. The driver for these woud permit a sensitivity setting in HE?
Thanks.
Mac

Depending on the model yes, you can install the drivers manually without the device to have a look at the preference options...

Thanks.
Just checked out the aeotec multi sensor 6. It has sensitivity settings but doesnt like motion outside. Its recommended to turn off the motion in an outdoor setting.
Will keep looking though. Regards.
Mac

Hello Agnes, I just bought the zse29 V2 outfit motion sensor. When mains powered does it act as a repeater? I'd like to extend Z-Wave to my garage.
Thanks

It does not, Z-Wave doesn't allow battery powered devices to act as repeaters when powered via USB anymore (the last device we were able to do that on was the S2 Motion Sensor ZSE18). HomeSeer has a couple of hard wired motion sensors that will act as repeaters I think but we haven't had any experience with them so I'm not sure about performance or HE compatibility.

2 Likes