OUTDOOR Zwave or Zigbee Motion Sensor

Looking for those using a Zwave or Zigbee motion sensor outdoors, which ones would you recommend? I just set up an outdoor led dusk to dawn light which is controlled by a zooz dimmer switch, that I'm using my POE cameras motion to trigger IFTTT to trigger the light to come on.

However with IFTTT this process can take at least a minute delay to trigger, if it triggers at all, so I'm looking for a direct motion sensor integration.

HomeSeer has the outdoor flood light motion sensor. I can connect directly to flood lights and it's z-wave.

There's the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor which is ZigBee .

[EDIT] almost forgot about the Zooz outdoor motion sensor...

1 Like

I have the Phillips outdoor motion sensor in my amazon cart. I just need to buy it.

1 Like

Does the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor require the Philips Hue hub to integrate it to Hubitat or no? I don't have any Philips products as my strategy when going into home automation was to not have a hub for each different device.

LOL... I have A LOT of stuff in my cart that I just "need to buy" :smile:

2 Likes

The motion sensor is like the indoor sensor and "should" pair directly to Hubitat and not require the Philips bridge and as with the other sensor it would not work with Hubitat if paired to the Philips bridge.

Mike In the Live video said it pairs directly with the HE hub

1 Like

I'm waiting on their V2 of this device as V1 doesn't have configurable re-trigger settings (to preserve battery life) even though it is capable of being plugged in and as a repeater.

I did see Mike's video on this, and I know of devices availability (google), the purpose of this post was for recommendations by those actually using whichever device's in real experiences with them. It's one thing to see the specs and qualifications of the device (VeraSecure) and being burned by not living up to the specs, so now I usually go for those actually experiencing the device references.

1 Like

Yeah I just responded to your question if it the Philips Hue device would pair directly. Sorry for answering you.

I appreciate the information, I wasn't intending to come off rude, my apologies

Both the indoor and outdoor hue motion sensors do not require the hue bridge. Both sensors are currently fully supported and discoverable. Platform version 2.0.9 includes an update to the driver allowing adjustment of the motion re activate timeout settings.
Currently the default timeout in hardware is 10 seconds, which is a bit too fast for some use cases.

3 Likes

That's great news as I agree the 10 seconds is definitely too fast especially in the use case I'm needing it for.

@mike.maxwell I think I read somewhere that the Hue outdoor sensor is somewhat different in how it detects motion, Do you notice anything?

1 Like

@mike.maxwell
Mike have you had any issues with the outdoor sensor not showing lux?
I’ve installed/deleted/reset & installed again (using the in-built driver) and still no lux reports.
I’ve ordered another one to arrive tomorrow to see if this one is faulty but everything else seems ok with it.
Logs just show 0 lux reports.

Andy

One thing I might have missed in your video on this device is Does it have plug in capability? I remember you showing the batteries, but don't remember seeing a plug in?

Battery only.

Andy

1 Like

I've not seen any differences.

1 Like

Which battery type does it use, as this is also a factor in purchasing new device for me is consolidation of many different device batteries.

I have three in production, two started reporting lux immediately after join and every 5 minutes thereafter, the third did not.
However some number of hours later with no intervention on my behalf it started reporting as the others.

1 Like