OT: I'm sick of not being able to buy ANYTHING I want

Just me venting, no action needed.

But I'm getting REALLY tired of not being able to buy things.

1. Nvidia 3080 graphics card - nope
  2. XBOX Series X pre-order - nope
  3. Nvidia 3090 graphics card - nope
  4. AMD Ryzen 5900X - nope
  5. AMD Ryzen 5950X - nope
  6. AMD RX 6800XT graphics card - I'll just put in a preemptive NOPE here too, even though they don't go on sale until later this month

And I refuse to buy from gougers on eBay - I'll do without before I do that. On principle.

I mean, my wallet appreciates their lack of salesmanship, but my computer rebuild projects are all on hold - which is annoying.

8 Likes

Ditto.

It’s a frustrating time to be outfitting a new home :anguished:.

2 Likes

I see articles about people waiting 5 months for some furniture and large appliances.

3 Likes

I got a new cooktop and microwave the other month. Only had to wait 6 weeks, but I thought that was too long.

I would have been bummed if it were 5 months!!

3 Likes

I'm 1 month in on an estimated 4 month wait for a new sectional sofa for the family room. Not so bad really... the wait is so long that I'll probably lose track of time entirely and be pleasantly surprised when it shows up.

3 Likes

Tell me about it, my mom's freezer went out and according the the appliance stores that when Covid started people rushed to buy freezers just like they did with toilet paper at Costco. We just got confirmation that her freezer will be shipping next week. 14 weeks of waiting.

2 Likes

My opinion is that it is only going to get worse. I would not be surprised if they shut the country down again soon. We are in something like week 35 of this, with no end in sight to things getting back to normal.

Without getting into politics too deep, that will very likely become the case if everything that was said during the election campaigns happens. There were a lot of promises (or threats depending upon your political leanings) to shut us down again.

Europe has had lots of lockdowns recently, and I kind of expect many of the Asian countries will do so again too. And if there are disruptions overseas, and we in USA are shutdown (even partially), things are going to be really messy for a while.

2 Likes

I am hopeful that at least 60% of Americans will get the flu vaccine this season. There is really good/promising data indicating some vaccines (MMR, polio, BCG) non-specifically stimulate immune cells leading to cross-protection against COVID-19. So perhaps other vaccines will do the same.

My colleagues Paul Fidel and Mairi Noverr were among the first to propose this cross-protection, and ongoing epidemiological studies appear to back their prediction.

It would be very helpful if this cross-protection extended to the flu vaccine, especially with 100,000 new cases per day ....

4 Likes

You guys should try living in Thailand where its almost impossible to buy anything IoT-related without incurring expensive shipping and import duties. It's so damned annoying that I'm going to head straight back to the beach at the bottom of my garden and have another beer in the sunshine.

10 Likes

Thailand is one of the places I hope to visit someday.

That sounds positively lovely right about now. Here is what I have in Michigan. Granted that isn't bad for November, but it only goes downhill from here.

Mostly Cloudy
61°F
16°C

1 Like

Bloody Hell, I am going to do the same and go straight to my backyard and have a beer in the rain and look at my grass :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Ah, the sacrifices we all make by choosing our locations. Hope the suffering gets relieved.

2 Likes

I feel your pain on all 6 items listed. I made a half a$$t attempt at 4 and 5 today because I knew the outcome after also attempting 1 and 3. Literally no hope for 6 at this point...none. SMH

Why does noone want to take my money?

1 Like

Like I said - my wallet is quite happy with the situation.

It is getting ridiculous, though. If it is ONLY because supply is low (COVID, other manufacturing issues) then OK.

But the plethora of these devices that are on eBay say that supply isn't the only issue... Bot driven gouge/eBay buyers are creating artificial shortages....

2 Likes

I started my Freezer replacement process on April 12th. I've had a Gladiator garage rated Freezer on order since then. 28 weeks so far, and no shipping date in sight!

S.

P.S. just called the vendor. Earliest I'm likely to see the Freezer is next year!

2 Likes

Holy moley!

My house was struck by lightning end-of-Sept and destroyed a few things, my range included.

Ordered a new one from Best Buy, delivery date: Dec 20th... and that was the best date from any "big box store" (no one online had it)

Supply chain issues are real !

1 Like

Holey moley x2!

Back to the original post. My son upgraded his machine from a 1800x to the 3950x and it’s freakin awesome. Can’t even imaging a 5950x. Hope you find one.

Edit. Best part was I got his hand-me-down.

2 Likes

This is why we need to get manufacturing back to the USA and away from the Chinese.

1 Like