OT: I'm sick of not being able to buy ANYTHING I want

Have been trying to buy a new joystick since MSFS2020 came out in August; had two orders with delivery dates in September convert to 'preorders' though they seem to be available overseas.

Tried finding a 5900X this morning. Was glad to see 'In Stock!' on eBay (all north of $800) but no thanks. I need to upgrade my cooler anyway (probably should have bought one already, likely the next impossible to find item).

1 Like

See, that's the bright side: think how much money you'll have for Black Friday specials now!!!

I just blew a chunk on a new SSD. :slight_smile:

(I have my "C:" drives ALL on SSDs, but my large data drive has been a spinny disk. Tired of my system locking up when backups hit--and other stuff being so slow. Bit the bullet, and have one coming shortly :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Waiting for the new m.2s to hit the shelves supporting pcie4 that can do 7000mb/s.

1 Like

Yeah, that would require me to buy an entirely new PC. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah my desktop as well. My m.2 does 3000 on pcie3 but want to upgrade my sons machine.

1 Like

I'm super stoked to see what happens with my backups now.

I have Google Fiber (1 Gb up)--currently, I don't come close to that--and I think my slow AF spinny disk is a big part of the reason. When I get my SSD in, it should be able to rock & roll.

Plus, it should be able to handle the backups running at the same time as my files are being sent to the cloud. WITHOUT locking my system up for minutes at a time.

I hope.

2 Likes

I use the 2TB Sabrent pcie4 nvme on my x570 motherboard. Only like 5000, but pretty zippy.

I laughed at this very technical term :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well. I've been an IT Systems Admin for a LONG time (decades--although, my current title isn't that now, since I moved to a different dept).

We do have some very technical jargon. lol

1 Like

Yeah they have announced a second gen based on the new phison e18 controller but i don’t think it’s shipping yet. Western digital also has a new one and Samsung has a 980 evo.

Right now we are running 960 evo’s.

1 Like

I got the 1TB size of the Sabrent Rocket when I put together my PC last fall; bargain at $129 back then. Works nicely paired with the 3700x/X570 (though oddly Quicken runs just as slow as it did on my old Haswell).

2 Likes

For the longest time storage was 90% of the bottleneck. With today's transfer rates most of the bottleneck is back on the CPUs and GPUs.

1 Like

In the USA we can buy anything we want at likely the lowest price in the world. We've been spoiled. So we will just have to "suck it up" as Robert Duvall said.

We had visitors from the UK. They had to leave just after we finished our meeting. They asked where they could purchase blue jeans. Given their timeframe I could only suggest a retail mall that was on the way to the airport. I couple of days later I asked how they made out. They told me they were elated at the low prices!

3 Likes

Local Walmart said they had 3 xbox series x in stock. Went there at opening this morning (is on my way to work anyway), was 2nd in line.

Cool!

Store only had 1 in stock. As usual, walmart's online stock number was wrong.

Well I got my pre-order in with BestBuy for the Xbox Series X and they are now saying it should show up by end of week. No reason was given. The "hurry up and wait" model. Well at least I have 4 new Zwave switches here to bench test for a install in two week and a new Tablo DVR that I am setting up for a customer. Keeps me busy outside of my day job.

1 Like

@ronv42 @eppower @scottgu3

The first joke is for you, guys

7 Likes