Osram Sylvania Smart+ Lightify

Try changing to channel 25.

1 Like

I didn't start out to segregate devices. I started with no expectations other than to automate my home lighting. Didn't know what I'd be able to do beyond some lights and a door lock (which didn't integrate anyway), so there were no expectations really.

Home Automation is an evolution. Here's a brief timeline of how it progressed for me:

Note that my ability to remember the order correctly is a reflection on my ability to remember, not the platforms or their development. :wink:

• Insteon first. Great system, but closed.
  • Then a Wink Hub. Good, but too simplistic and prone to outages.
  • Bought SmartThings just to "Play with" and it was phenomenal what could be accomplished, but investing a lot of time and resources in something that randomly didn't work because their cloud was unstable (more so that Wink) gave me great pause.
  • Connected my Insteon devices to ST via a community projects. Fantastic, but only when the cloud for both devices were working.
  • Discovered Homebridge. Already an iOS user and interested in this new HomeKit thing, I setup an old Mac laptop as an Always ON system to try is out. This was a welcome change to the crappy SmartThings app, now known as the "Classic" app.
  • Learned about a community project on the ST forum that allowed Pico remotes to be used to control my Insteon devices on SmartThings. It required a separate computer (like a Raspberry Pi or an old laptop) and the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro. Old laptop was already in use by Homebridge, which automatically gave me the Node.js server I needed. Found a Lutron Smart Bridge Pro on eBay for $50 CAD, local pickup. No brainer for me. Fantastic, but when the SmartThings cloud was down, this had ZERO WAF!
  • An onset of tinnitus gave me incentive to abandon my smart dimmers that when combined with LED lighting in so many different attempts, always buzzed or had a high pitched ringing at just about any level. Purchased a Hue Bridge and bulb combo to try. Excellent!
  • Stumbled across exactly what I had been hoping for when I learned about this new hub called Hubitat. Local, and it worked with the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro in a greater capacity than the node.js application could, but without the need for the separate computer. Once I saw that many of the developers I respected were either the founders or already here, it wasn't a hard choice at all.
  • Shortly after purchasing, they teased the Philips Hue Integration. Excellent, and unexpected surprise.
  • Wanting to control Inteon again since there wasn't an integration to HE at the time, used an available Homebridge integration to test syncing HE virtual switches to Insteon devices via HomeKit automations. It worked, so I bought an Apple TV 4 on eBay to act as the HomeKit hub.
  • Obtained a second hub so I could test without disrupting my primary hub, thus keeping the growing WAF high.
  • Homebridge/HomeKit for Insteon was working, but dog slow and inconsistent becuase the plug-in has a lot of overhead. Slowly over time, working with @cwwilson08 and then eventually together with Scott Kuester, the creator of the Homebridge Plugin for Insteon, progessivly better integrations for Insteon were developed.
  • Became interested in low cost Xiaomi devices, but their reliability when directly joined due to a non-compliant Zigbee they run was beginning to drag down the WAF. Out of curiosity how they performed when joined to their own hub, I ordered one of the relatively new at the time Xiaomi Aqara HomeKit hubs. Knowing if they worked well, I could sync them via HomeKit with little risk of lag, since the Xiaomi Aqara hub is HomeKit native.
  • Finally got the time to look into my slow hub issues and discovered that my gen 1 Aeon HEM that I was refreshing every second (for a specific use case) was both chatty and made worse by that action. Moved it to my test hub and connected the two hubs. Got another hub to be the new test hub.

So as you can see, these things are an evolution. They aren't a thing that has to be done. You make the choice how you want to proceed, but the facts are that one hub has not covered it all. Even those that claim they can do it all with one hub, cannot do it all with one hub. There's always something in there that serves another task, be it node.js or MQTT, or other. Doesn't matter if it's one piece of hardware. The fact remains, one platform doesn't cover all the bases in Home Automation.

1 Like

Totally agree with this - I started with LightwaveRF a long time ago, then moved to Lightify after moving house and having the opportunity to automate some new lights. The Lightify App was SO slow and particularly shocking at reconnecting to the bulbs if someone, e.g. The Wife, switched them off at the wall. Which someone, e.g. The Wife, did regularly. Then came Smartthings which with Webcore was absolute genius controlling, as it did, the whole ecosystem including Sonos. But wow, that latency, being at the mercy of US based servers that went beserk and stopped working everytime the clocks moved etc etc

But on my ST setup I had Lightify, Sonos, Aeotec, Xiamoi, Gledopto, Centralite and others and they all kind of worked together. The power of Webcore was out of this world but I just couldn't get past the latency so I moved to Hubitat.

All of which is to say I totally get the changing and evolving nature of the home automation world, the macro picture if you will. What really really frustrates me is the fact that when I set something up, like the out-of-the-box Motion and Toggle Button lighting automation from Hubitat it is inconsistent in its execution. Totally out of the box, but sometimes the bulbs in the affected group come on, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they come on at the Mode specific colour temp and brightness sometimes they don't. Somtimes the Scenes work when you activate from a dashboard, sometimes they don't. THIS is what gets me - the lack of fire and forget in this individual circumstances.

Can you post a link to the location of this custom driver? Thank you!

1 Like

Here you go:

3 Likes

Where are you based? What motion sensors do you have. ZigBee or z-wave?

I'm in the UK and I have a mixture of Zigbee and Zwave motion sensors - Zwave are Aeotec and Zigbee are a mix of Xiaomi and ST. (The Xiaomi are WAY better on Hubitat than they ever were on ST, weird side fact) All motion sensors always activate the lights, but sometimes don't activate the colour temp or level.... Strangely the Toggle buttons on the same App almost always do.

Ok so you have a few issues then, 1st.

Not a good idea with the original osram lamps. They don't handle passing theses motion messages well as they are not designed for ZigBee HA networks. You best bet is to isolate them on another ZigBee network, 2 options are another HE hub (best longer term) or if you have a lightify bridge you can connect them to this and use @adamkempenich local integration. The only issue with this is it may not be around after a year.

2nd

This is a issue with our lamps and looks like soon to be everyone's elses with ZigBee 3.0 they can't change colour before they are turned on. This leads to some random effects with sometimes it working sometimes not, sometimes partly and sometimes not at all. I believe @mike.maxwell is planning on working on a new lamp driver that will fix this and ZigBee 3.0 lamps.

The current work around, is not a simple setup and requires you to control the messages you send to them so that you get a short delay before you send the colour change after a ON.

@iandogherty I just wanted to add a datapoint. I moved my OSRAM gateway so it would work better for my Gardenspots, but two CT OSRAM bulbs I had upstairs really didn’t like that (old type) and they were acting worse than before.

Moved them to my second HE hub which has no other Zigbee devices on it, and they are now working absolutely perfect. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Hey I'm on 25 also, with my Smart+ bulbs and latest firmware. They work great.
I wish people would specify when they have bulb issues, which model & revision of bulbs. Sylvania got a bad rep from the old osram days, I know I have some of those bulbs, somewhere around here :thinking:

1 Like

That’s what I use for lightify.. Works perfectly when you keep them on their own mesh.. And on a separate channel

3 Likes

Yep, I knew it would. Just wanted to reassure @iandogherty that purchasing a second hub would be the right choice.

2 Likes

Yea for me, I was avoiding them.. In fact I had removed all lightify from my mesh a while back.. But they started having an awesome sale on their fixtures that I couldn’t pass on.. So I got a second hub to put them on day 1..

1 Like

Yeah, very clear why we got them so cheap now too. I hate the high pitched ringing I hear from the old style CT bulbs, even when they're off. They're in a closet where I cannot hear them all the time.

Called LEDVANCE about them and they sent me $50 in coupons for free product, but Amazon won't/can't take them, and all the retailers around here have stopped selling Sylvania/OSRAM product. :confounded:

1 Like

Thanks all - I've got a mix of Osram bulbs from the very first to the very latest and they all have their own degrees of weirdness. I've plumped for the second hub which will go on a different channel when it arrives and I'll shift them all over. Any tips on how to do that? I've got the individual bulbs, groups, scenes, and rules running on all of them. I'll enjoy experimenting and having a go, but I'd like to do it as solidly and robustly as possible which means leveraging all of the experience I can!

First, set up HubConnect 2.0 on the hubs. Then reset the bulbs, group by group, adding them to the new hub and then right away recreating the groups and sharing them back to the main hub via HubConnect. Replace them in all of the rules on the main hub and then delete the no longer used devices. Keep repeating this until all lights are replaced. Then shut down the main hub for 20 minutes and restart to force a zigbee heel.

Thanks - so do the groups / rules / scenes sit on the main hub or on the new hub with the bulbs?

The groups and scenes should be on the hub where the bulbs are joined in order to use zigbee group messaging. The rules can be on either. I have rules on both hubs.

I have way more bulbs than any other device type - would it work just as well to move all m y other devices (motion sensors, buttons, keypads) to the new hub and leave the bulbs where they are?

Yes. That is exactly what I did. I moved all of the end devices to the second hub. I still put HubConnect server on my original hub and the remote on the new hub. You can also use your SmartThings hub with HubConnect and use it for cloud automations that won’t benefit from local control, or put misbehaving devices on it. But you will need to make sure not to use the same zigbee channel for Hubitat if you do this.